FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: INDIANA on September 06, 2011, 09:37:30 PM
Quote from: spuds on September 06, 2011, 09:32:16 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 06, 2011, 09:26:09 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on September 06, 2011, 09:12:07 PM
The Armenians are 4 up now. Magnificent news from Bratislava. I think Wales might have given them a similarly spanking in the the Euro 2008 qualifiers.

The key match now is Slovakia v Russia. We'll presume Ireland beat Andorra that night.

If Russia win or draw - a point at home to Armenia will secure a play off berth

If Slovakia beat Russia - two Ireland victories would put them top of the group and therefore through automatically.

Is anyone seriously suggesting slovakia will beat russia when russia only need a draw against them. Slovakia are a s*** team.

7th Sept, 2010 Russia 0-1 Slovakia

Dont see it myself. I'd be more worried about the armenians doing us at home considering our inability to score. I'd take 0-0 against armenia now.

You don't see why anybody might think Slovakia can beat Russia at home? Perhaps you don't see why anybody might have a considered opinion that is different to your own. Tonight Slovakia were knackered after 30 minutes and clearly ran out of all steam. The match was played at breakneck speed up until then. Did you watch the game?  The Armenians are a fit and lively bunch, the Slovaks must have been still feeling the effects after celebrating their game in Dublin and going c**k a hoop at thoughts of winning the group.
But anything can happen in the Slovaks game against Russia.
I´d fancy our chances to get the result we need against Armenia. Pressure will tell in the last game and I think we can handle that a bit better against the new kids on the block.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Main Street on September 06, 2011, 10:38:56 PM
The Armenians are 4 up now. Magnificent news from Bratislava. I think Wales might have given them a similarly spanking in the the Euro 2008 qualifiers.

The key match now is Slovakia v Russia. We'll presume Ireland beat Andorra that night.

If Slovakia beat Russia - two Ireland victories would put them top of the group and therefore through automatically.

Is anyone seriously suggesting slovakia will beat russia when russia only need a draw against them. Slovakia are a s*** team.

Dont see it myself. I'd be more worried about the armenians doing us at home considering our inability to score. I'd take 0-0 against armenia now.

You don't see why anybody might think Slovakia can beat Russia at home? Perhaps you don't see why anybody might have a considered opinion that is different to your own. Tonight Slovakia were knackered after 30 minutes and clearly ran out of all steam. The match was played at breakneck speed up until then. Did you watch the game?  The Armenians are a fit and lively bunch, the Slovaks must have been still feeling the effects after celebrating their game in Dublin and going c**k a hoop at thoughts of winning the group.
But anything can happen in the Slovaks game against Russia.
I´d fancy our chances to get the result we need against Armenia. Pressure will tell in the last game and I think we can handle that a bit better against the new kids on the block.

All we can do really is look at our own situation! As i said earlier, freshness will be important in the Armenia game, so the earlier we can score against Andorra (4 days earlier), close out the game and rest players, the better.

stew

Great result especially considering the players Ireland were missing om the night.

Hope i am wrong but I can see us snatching defeat from the hands of victory and us finishing third with two goalless draws.

If Russia lose, and that is a distinct possibility we win the group with two wins, problem is, we cant create enough chances to score enough.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Leo

Quote from: Dubh driocht on September 06, 2011, 08:40:08 PM
After seeing Shay's heroics, no-one should ever ever ever again say a word about Donegal's defensive strategy.

Our best player couldn't cut it at Man City - that goes for Dunne & Given both.

Nobody wanted our captain Keane.

Journeyman Andrews is now in Champonship. His pal Whelan is a Stoke bit player.

Kelly doesnt make Fulham first team.

McGeady couldnt cut it at Celtic.

Duff is a shadow of (old) Duff.

When you look at our resources, Trapp is a miracle worker.
Fierce tame altogether

Capt Pat

We will surely beat the Armenians at home, that was a freak result tonight. An amazing result in fact, one of the biggest upsets I have seen in sports.

I didn't see the first half of the game today, but I don't think Russia had a tonne of brilliant chances. They had the header near the end and the one Dunne cleared off the line that should both have been scored and half a dozen other half chances. They didn't tare us apart, they played well but not well enough in the final third of the field.

Orangemac

Would agree that Armenia will be a big threat, top scorers in the group and seem to have a lot of pace about them. If Ireland cannot take 6 points from these games they don't deserve to go through.

Trap may have to be a bit bolder than he has up to now. Andorra should be beatable even with the curent system but Hunt needs to come into the team and McCarthy maybe given a chance in midfield. The Whelan/Andrews axis offers nothing going forward.
I know Trap will not try this but could Duff be moved into the centre the way Giggs was. He is the best passer in the team and Hunt could come in for him.

What happens if 3 or even 4 teams have the same points? Is it goal diff or head to head? Either way it would not be good for Ireland.

AFS

Quote from: Capt Pat on September 07, 2011, 12:42:13 AM
We will surely beat the Armenians at home, that was a freak result tonight. An amazing result in fact, one of the biggest upsets I have seen in sports.

Steady on now. Armenia had already beaten Slovakia in the group. A surprising scoreline, but the result shouldn't have been that much of a shock.

Quote from: Capt Pat on September 07, 2011, 12:42:13 AM
I didn't see the first half of the game today, but I don't think Russia had a tonne of brilliant chances. They had the header near the end and the one Dunne cleared off the line that should both have been scored and half a dozen other half chances. They didn't tare us apart, they played well but not well enough in the final third of the field.

Copious amount of sugar coating there. Russia had enough good chances to win three games.

spuds

Quote from: Orangemac on September 07, 2011, 12:51:43 AM

What happens if 3 or even 4 teams have the same points? Is it goal diff or head to head? Either way it would not be good for Ireland.
If Russia, Slovakia and Ireland finish level on points it goes into a 3 way mini group on the matches played which would eliminate Ireland as only have 3 points from 3 draws against these 2.

If Russia, Armenia and Ireland finish level Russia would top group and Ireland second as long as we draw or beat Armenia at home.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

AFS

Quote from: spuds on September 07, 2011, 01:19:11 AM

If Russia, Slovakia and Ireland finish level on points it goes into a 3 way mini group on the matches played which would eliminate Ireland as only have 3 points from 3 draws against these 2.

If Russia, Armenia and Ireland finish level Russia would top group and Ireland second as long as we draw or beat Armenia at home.

Don't think a 3 way tie involving both Russia and Ireland is likely after tonight.

Russia will win their home game against Andorra, so, depending on their result against Slovakia, they'll finish on either 20, 21 or 23 points.

23 = no one will tie with them
21 = only Ireland can tie with them
20 = Slovakia and Armenia can tie with them, but not Ireland as it's impossible to go from 15 points to 20 in two games

I reckon the only 3 way tie Ireland are remotely likely to find themselves in is with Armenia and Slovakia on 18 points. Armenia would pip us to second spot if this came to pass.

My head hurts.

spuds

Quote from: AFS on September 07, 2011, 02:14:40 AM
Quote from: spuds on September 07, 2011, 01:19:11 AM

Don't think a 3 way tie involving both Russia and Ireland is likely after tonight.

Russia will win their home game against Andorra, so, depending on their result against Slovakia, they'll finish on either 20, 21 or 23 points.

23 = no one will tie with them
21 = only Ireland can tie with them
20 = Slovakia and Armenia can tie with them, but not Ireland as it's impossible to go from 15 points to 20 in two games

I reckon the only 3 way tie Ireland are remotely likely to find themselves in is with Armenia and Slovakia on 18 points. Armenia would pip us to second spot if this came to pass.

My head hurts.

True, well read AFS, but if Ireland, Armenia and Slovakia finish level on points Slovakia finish bottom and anything better than a 0-1 win for Armenia against us gets them through on the head to head. Or will their greater goal difference as stands presently get them through anyway ?
If we go to town scoring against Andorra maybe a 0-1 loss will do against Armenia in that situation.  :P

If we beat Armenia and lose to Andorra we get through to qualifier on getting 18 points that way.  :D

If Slovakia beat Russia and Russia only draw with Andorra then it could end up with 4 teams on 18 points.  :o

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

HiMucker

Quote from: HiMucker on September 06, 2011, 03:38:55 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on September 05, 2011, 08:42:12 PM
Russia have been ropey enough since the match @ Lansdowne. But I'd tend to agree with LL, will be good going to get a draw, a win and 3 points would be unreal

Plus, cannot believe an international football match of this importance is allowed to be played on a plastic pitch. What next, playing with a half pumped ball?'mon to feck Ireland!
They will be well used to this sort of thing, Sure they trained on a car park in Saipan  :D
Here I wasnt far wrong!  "I dont care that I am on £50K a week and have to look the superstar part.  Heres a marker! Now get that number 5 drawn on my back so I can get out there and kick the legs of these commy bast**ds or Im going to plug ye"

stibhan

'McGeady couldn't cut it at Celtic'

I suppose that's how they sold him for a records fee ::)

Orangemac

Have a good feeling Traps luck will hold, Slovakia badly stung will beat Russia and Ireland will win last 2 games to win group.

A turgid 180 minutes against Greece or Bosnia in a play off doesn't bear thiniking about :D

bamboo

Anyone hear anything about any special arrangements being put in place for the fans on Friday?

After the game was moved back to Andorra, Delaney had mentioned trying to set up a "fanzone" for those that had already booked  the trip to Barcelona. Had a quick look at the FAI website and cant see anything.

Gonna be  a tough weekend over there, game does'nt finish until almost midnight local time and then have to be back up for the rugby at 7am! And our flight from Stanstead is 7am friday morning!!

Sleep will be at a premium me thinks.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Armenia 2-0 approaching half time. Cat and pigeons.