Who will win the 2024 Ulster title

Donegal
27 (56.3%)
Armagh
21 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: April 27, 2024, 08:54:31 PM

tbrick18

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on April 05, 2024, 09:59:33 AMMy own take on the ranking for the ulster championship (based on form and the draw).

1 - Derry - out and out team to beat regardless of the draw. 
2 - Armagh - draw lends to an 'easier' route to the final. 
3 - Donegal - seem to be a resurgence in them, should give Derry a game with a fully fit team.
4 - Down - Should get over Antrim with no fuss, and may catch Armagh on the hop to make it to a final.
5 - Tyrone - should get over the line in their first game, likely to get beat by Derry/Donegal. 
6 - Monaghan - expect them to beat Cavan and give Tyrone a game, but fall short at this point.   
7 - Fermanagh - expect Armagh to beat them, but it will be a grind for the most of it.
8 - Cavan - no real expectations on Cavan, exit at the first hurdle. 
9 - Antrim - Down seem to be showing promise, so expect Antrim to go out at their hands handy enough. 

Derry v Armagh a likely final. 

Derry's only downfall in my eyes would be injuries to key players(Mc Guigan, Rodgers or Glass) or taking their eye off the ball. 

For Armagh to win, they would need to get over the mental hurdle of caving under the pressure of big games that has haunted them this past 3 years. 

Generally agree - but....
Monaghan could be a different prospect come championship with Beggan back and remember McManus hardly played in the league. If they have both those players available and get back to the sort of form they showed in the Dublin match, I'd expect them to beat Tyrone.

Tyrone - I just dont see it at the minute. Lots of talk about senior players returning from injury. Most of them are well past their best and will struggle to get up to championship level having not played in the league. McCurry has become very inconsistent, I do think Canavan is good but I also think he's markable. McShane might find form, but I really don't see where Tryone can score enough to trouble any of the top teams. Tactically, I think they are lacking too and reports of another player leaving the panel tends to suggest all is not well in the camp.

For me Tyrone v Monaghan is weighted towards Monaghan.

imtommygunn

I think the McGuinness thing with Harte should mean Derry less likely to slip up. I still would agree with some here in that I think Kerry and Dublin will be better come summer but they should have enough for ulster. Donegal are the team with the best chance of beating them IMO.

I don't know why you would have Down above Tyrone(or Monaghan). For me if Tyrone show nothing in the championship then they really need new management but even a poor tyrone would beat down by a bit at the minute. There's enough talent in that county they should be number 1 or 2 in ulster. I imagine with Logan's health etc though that's a possibility anyway.

Monaghan are an interesting one. I am not sure what to expect of them. Cavan could beat them yet.

tbrick18

I genuinely believe Donegal could ambush Derry.
McGuinness has been planning for it all year, they've undoubtedly improved since last year and they now have a forward or two to take some of the scoring burden off McBrearty.
Injuries will be key here - Donegal need McHugh and McBrearty fully fit and firing.
Hopefully Derry will be full strength with McKinless back, but I fully expect this game to be close.

Applesisapples

I do not see where all this optimism around Donegal comes from, they struggled to beat a poor Armagh by a point. Monaghan and Tyrone are ahead of either Donegal or Armagh in my view. The Draw should see Armagh in the final. Derry's UC will depend on what store they place in a third, but Harte  likes to win everything he plays for.

imtommygunn

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 05, 2024, 10:11:17 AMI genuinely believe Donegal could ambush Derry.
McGuinness has been planning for it all year, they've undoubtedly improved since last year and they now have a forward or two to take some of the scoring burden off McBrearty.
Injuries will be key here - Donegal need McHugh and McBrearty fully fit and firing.
Hopefully Derry will be full strength with McKinless back, but I fully expect this game to be close.

Definitely a chance.

JoG2

Quote from: illdecide on April 05, 2024, 09:48:06 AMYou men are some craic...you have Derry v Armagh in the final with Derry winning pulling up...

Armagh will be lucky to get out of Brewster Park next weekend and if they're lucky enough to win that they more than likely will play Down who always give Armagh their fill of it and if that match was in Newry i'd not be over confident going there with our record. Derry will have 2 really hard games to get to the final and as much as they're a great team I believe we have seen their full hand over the last while where other teams are not or have not been at full throttle yet or injured players due back. Derry are good but I still put Dublin and Kerry above them come July time and Ulster teams may well catch them on the hop too, they're not as good as everyone is making them out to be...A couple of aging players with some miles in the legs and a great man marker for McGuigan can go a long way to beating them.

Thank you! Finally back to earth with a bump.
Though 'showing the full hand' is another classic GAA'ism. The full hand, I'm assuming is kept under lock and key on the training pitch and unleashed during the first provincial game, 'frig me, did you see Donegal' s full hand there?? '.. If it's the full hand, teams will plan accordingly, though you'd really have to have multiple layers of the full hand, as you've a potential semi final / final and AI series.

Bottom line, every knows how eg how Derry play, how every team plays. It's matching their ability to move the ball at ferocious speed and work rate, it's not rocket science. Derry v Donegal, on paper there's only one winner on current form (and taking into account a couple of Donegal injuries). The only way Donegal win is to take the game into the trenches, real ugly defensive mouthy football and hope they hit the net a few times. Full hand Luke

bennydorano

Donegal are a horrible team to play against, the game will be pure skitter as a spectacle.

5times5times

ULSTER SFC FIXTURES (times BST)

Preliminary round - 7 April

Monaghan v Cavan Clones, 16:00

Quarter-final - 13 April

Down v Antrim Pairc Esler, 18:00

Quarter-final - 14 April

Fermanagh v Armagh Brewster Park, 14:00

Quarter-final - 20 April

Derry v Donegal Celtic Park, 18:15

Quarter-final - 21 April

Tyrone v Monaghan/Cavan TBC

Semi-final - 27 April

Down/Antrim v Fermanagh/Armagh TBC >> If this game the Sat night, will it be Omagh, or would (likely) Down & Armagh toss??

Semi-final - 28 April

Derry/Donegal v Monaghan/Cavan/Tyrone TBC

Final - 12 May

ardtole

Quote from: 5times5times on April 05, 2024, 11:56:29 AMULSTER SFC FIXTURES (times BST)

Quarter-final - 13 April

Quarter-final - 14 April

Quarter-final - 20 April

Quarter-final - 21 April

Semi-final - 27 April

Down/Antrim v Fermanagh/Armagh TBC >> If this game the Sat night, will it be Omagh, or would (likely) Down & Armagh toss??

Semi-final - 28 April

Final - 12 May

Down v Armagh would most likely be Clones. From a personal point of view I'd prefer if they tossed for it, or even played it in Breffini.

I'm still scarred from the drowning I got in Clones last year, and the hiding we got.

yellowcard

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on April 05, 2024, 09:59:33 AMMy own take on the ranking for the ulster championship (based on form and the draw).

3 - Donegal - seem to be a resurgence in them, should give Derry a game with a fully fit team.
4 - Down - Should get over Antrim with no fuss, and may catch Armagh on the hop to make it to a final.
5 - Tyrone - should get over the line in their first game, likely to get beat by Derry/Donegal. 
6 - Monaghan - expect them to beat Cavan and give Tyrone a game, but fall short at this point.   
7 - Fermanagh - expect Armagh to beat them, but it will be a grind for the most of it.
9 - Antrim - Down seem to be showing promise, so expect Antrim to go out at their hands handy enough. 

Derry's only downfall in my eyes would be injuries to key players(Mc Guigan, Rodgers or Glass) or taking their eye off the ball. 

For Armagh to win, they would need to get over the mental hurdle of caving under the pressure of big games that has haunted them this past 3 years. 

I'd agree with most of that but on what basis are Down the 4th best in Ulster? Beating up Tailteann Cup teams does not make them a better side than both Monaghan and Tyrone. Down for me are the 7th best team in Ulster. 

lfdown2

Quote from: yellowcard on April 05, 2024, 12:16:31 PM

I'd agree with most of that but on what basis are Down the 4th best in Ulster? Beating up Tailteann Cup teams does not make them a better side than both Monaghan and Tyrone. Down for me are the 7th best team in Ulster. 

He's not saying Down are 4th best team in Ulster, his assumption is that Down will likely get past Antrim and then are 70 min from an Ulster final potentially catching Armagh on the hop, his rankings are reflective of the draw.

(not saying I agree that Down will be anywhere near Armagh IF they get past Antrim)

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on April 05, 2024, 12:16:31 PM

Don't think he's saying that. But they've probably a better chance of getting to a final given the draw. Tyrone/Monaghan obviously better that Down atm.

5times5times

Quote from: ardtole on April 05, 2024, 12:01:01 PM
Quote from: 5times5times on April 05, 2024, 11:56:29 AMULSTER SFC FIXTURES (times BST)

Quarter-final - 13 April

Quarter-final - 14 April

Quarter-final - 20 April

Quarter-final - 21 April

Semi-final - 27 April

Semi-final - 28 April

Final - 12 May

Down v Armagh would most likely be Clones. From a personal point of view I'd prefer if they tossed for it, or even played it in Breffini.

I'm still scarred from the drowning I got in Clones last year, and the hiding we got.

Can Clones host a game in late afternoon/evening with no lights? Saturday game is usually 5/6/7pm??

armaghniac

Quote from: 5times5times on April 05, 2024, 12:49:49 PMCan Clones host a game in late afternoon/evening with no lights? Saturday game is usually 5/6/7pm??

No problem with 5 or 6pm in late April. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eire90

your boy on otb says he does not care about provincials