Moments that Shook the GAA world

Started by Peter Solan the Great, August 07, 2010, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Solan the Great

I'll start off here. The most shocking moment in recent GAA history for me was in 2002 with the shocking story about Roscommon.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gaa-red-card-to-get-naked-truth-299995.html

Thursday July 18 2002
ROSCOMMON has disbanded its entire senior football team in an extraordinary sequel to reports of high jinx by players at a hotel.

The squad, which last summer won the county its first Connacht senior title in 10 years, has been told that anyone who hopes to play again must declare any involvement in acts of misconduct.

Trouble started in early May when a British Sunday newspaper ran a story claiming a couple of Roscommon players were caught on a Derry hotel's security video playing pool in the nude.

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Gaffer

"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

tyroneboi

Good shout Gaffer. I can remember the moment I heard - I was away at university at the time and my ma rang me at 8am to tell me the news. Couldn't believe it and at times when you think about it, its still quite hard to take in and the fact that its over 6 years since he passed away.

5 Sams

Feckin Nordy upstarts...imagine the cheek of them winning the All Ireland :)
The Aristocrat Years

spuds

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

TacadoirArdMhacha

As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

cornafean

Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

borderfox

Quote from: DoireGael on August 07, 2010, 08:04:30 PM

Now thats Coss v mullaghbawn or else pearse ogs. Very hard to distinguish sponsors on jersey. Great picture BTW.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: borderfox on August 07, 2010, 11:42:07 PM
Quote from: DoireGael on August 07, 2010, 08:04:30 PM

Now thats Coss v mullaghbawn or else pearse ogs. Very hard to distinguish sponsors on jersey. Great picture BTW.

pearse ogs, 99 county final I reckon.  Better photo from mid 80' s with benny cassidy in it.

ross4life

to carry on from spuds post, the most shocking moment in gaa history

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open