is there a war coming?

Started by lawnseed, August 09, 2011, 06:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Ah I dunno. The movie industry could do with another dust up. The Middle East has been done. A rebirth of the old Cold War genre would be great for Hollywood.

Sidney

Quote from: muppet on March 04, 2014, 04:41:58 PM
...and there is next to zero chance of a war.
Maybe people have learned, so.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 04, 2014, 04:43:53 PM
Ah I dunno. The movie industry could do with another dust up. The Middle East has been done. A rebirth of the old Cold War genre would be great for Hollywood.

Ohhh that's very cynical and conspiratorial!!!

muppet

Quote from: Sidney on March 04, 2014, 05:28:39 PM

Do you think Lawnseed has learned?
MWWSI 2017

lawnseed

Quote from: muppet on March 04, 2014, 05:47:19 PM

have you ever seen the Russian army? they're a joke! badly trained. shite equipment. 112 different languages spoken. I'd go as far as to say the brits would kick the shit out of them on their own.
I worked in the old east Germany while the Russian army was still there. they spent most of the time blocking roads with their crap vehicles that had either run out of fuel or boiled. they would have sold their weapons for a few quid.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

muppet

Quote from: lawnseed on March 04, 2014, 09:59:41 PM

have you ever seen the Russian army? they're a joke! badly trained. shite equipment. 112 different languages spoken. I'd go as far as to say the brits would kick the shit out of them on their own.
I worked in the old east Germany while the Russian army was still there. they spent most of the time blocking roads with their crap vehicles that had either run out of fuel or boiled. they would have sold their weapons for a few quid.

Tell the truth, it was Granard and the FCA wasn't it?
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Maybe you should look up Napoleon and Hitler sometime seed. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quotethey would have sold their weapons for a few quid.

Did you buy any?

QuoteMaybe you should look up Napoleon and Hitler sometime seed.

If Napoleon and Hitler had looked at the weather forecast, they might have beaten the Russian army.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on March 04, 2014, 10:24:44 PM

Did you buy any?

If Napoleon and Hitler had looked at the weather forecast, they might have beaten the Russian army.

Does the Russian winter vary that much?
MWWSI 2017

lawnseed

Quote from: muppet on March 04, 2014, 10:44:16 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 04, 2014, 10:24:44 PM

Did you buy any?

Didnt buy any guns.. But I got to fire a rifel for a tin of pears.. Just a couple of rounds. They were just kids with no english and surprisingly less german than I had.  Any army would slaughter them I felt sorry for them

Does the Russian winter vary that much?
More of a russian ",bare" than a bear
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Seems you are still on the Stasi/KGB payroll.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

thejuice

I think most world leaders are primarily economists now. I think they are unlikely to start anything that would have drastic consequences and slow down any western consumption that they are so dependent on. This includes Putin as well.

Unless the USA and EU over egg the sanctions, which I doubt they will, it's unlikely we will see a full on conflict.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

NAG1

Wasn't much of a stand off before the sides were round the table, some infantry and one missile launch and everyone comes running to the table. Not that I think this it is a bad thing, but I have no time for Putin and the way Russia has been carved up between his cronies.

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on March 05, 2014, 01:57:28 PM
Wasn't much of a stand off before the sides were round the table, some infantry and one missile launch and everyone comes running to the table. Not that I think this it is a bad thing, but I have no time for Putin and the way Russia has been carved up between his cronies.

Was that not done in Yeltsins watch and fortified under Putin who seems to 'take out' any oligarch not singing to his tune?

muppet

Quote from: thejuice on March 05, 2014, 01:51:11 PM
I think most world leaders are primarily economists now. I think they are unlikely to start anything that would have drastic consequences and slow down any western consumption that they are so dependent on. This includes Putin as well.

Unless the USA and EU over egg the sanctions, which I doubt they will, it's unlikely we will see a full on conflict.

This was an interesting observation seeing as it now appears that the US and Russia are now actually at war. Not Lawnseed's idea of war though, countries that can defend themselves to a certain level (i.e. can hit the enemy hard) will no longer face the traditional military engagement. The big wars of the 21st century will be fought financially.

I am reading this Currency Wars at the moment and at the start he talks of the US military exploring war games using oil, currency, the markets etc as weapons.

http://www.amazon.com/Currency-Wars-Making-Global-Crisis/dp/1591845564
MWWSI 2017