Cavan v Donegal Ulster Final

Started by mrdeeds, June 11, 2019, 02:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

I go more in hope than expectation but good to be back in an Ulster final.

J70

I've seen enough Ulster games over the years, especially involving Donegal, to hope that Donegal go into this with the right attitude and give Cavan plenty of respect. Cavan will be ravenous for this and Donegal will have to match that hunger. A few of the present team were there in 2013 when, even though they were a tired team with a few niggles, they still were not prepared for what Monaghan brought. I think we are rightly favourites, but we are not Dublin down in Leinster. Cavan can win this. We have to make sure we perform and they don't.

I wonder how the game will pan out in terms of style. Will Cavan sit back anticipating us to do the same?

seafoid

Delighted for Mickey Graham that he got the county into an Ulster Final at the first attempt. He is a very good manager . Ros have also shown the experience gained by having every second year in Division 1 even if every year might be preferable. Both teams have very good experience now. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

omaghjoe

Would sorta agree with Whelean's assessment on TSG of this. Donegal are not superhot favorites and Cavan are in with a hell of a shout

I would expect Donegal to prevail tho as Cavan lack a the number of standouts that Donegal have.

Itchy

I suppose what we don't know is how good were Donegal and how bad were Tyrone. That's for a start.

While Cavan were deserved winners against Armagh they did cough up a lot of scores and a lot of goal chances.

If Donegal go for the jugular in the first 15 minutes they could end the game quickly but if Cavan can hang in there then I think they have a chance. I never really though Bonner was a great manager when he was over Donegal U21s so I think Graham may be able to get one up on him tactically but saying that, at the end of the day, Donegal have some outstanding footballers and are rightly favourites.

Really looking forward to it, I cant believe it is 18 years since our last senior final. We've had lots of good days in the last 18 years too (u21 champions, league promotions) but 18 years sounds a stark statistic.

Who will Donegal put on McVeety?

Westside

Our last two meetings with Donegal in league and championship have been very one sided affairs and while I expect us to compete better this time around, I can't see a way we can win. Donegal have a huge amount of quality and we unfortunately have about 3 passengers on the team which you can't afford at this level. Really surprised the handicap is only 3 points, I would have thought Donegal could win out by 6 points or so.

Great to be back in an Ulster Final though, it's a big deal in keeping this bunch of players together. If Mickey can continue to improve the side and add some more real quality to back up what's already there I think we can challenge over the next few years but I fear we're not at Donegal's level just yet.

Ethan Tremblay

Having watched both the semi finals over the weekend I would take Donegal to clinch this one, they controlled the game throughout although Murphy won't get it as handy in and around the middle this time. 

Cavan fully deserved winners against Armagh, but Armagh were turning the screw on them at certain points throughout the match and if Donegal have the same opportunities they will do more harm than Armagh in my opinion. 

It should be a good show piece for what has been a great Ulster championship so far. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Itchy

Must be the quietest Ulster final thread ever. Meanwhile the tyronies  are still talking about the semi final on that thread. Cavan by a point I think.

BennyCake

Can't see Cavan outscoring Donegal.

2-17 to 0-16.

ck

It's great for Cavan to get to an Ulster Final, long time coming but beating Donegal will be too much of a stretch for them.

Donegal will win at ease, probably by 10points or more. Donegal are genuine All Ireland contenders - Cavan unlikely to even make the Super 8's. 

APM

I can see Cavan giving Donegal a hell of a run for their money here.  Having beaten Tyrone they've perhaps already played their Ulster Final and Cavan are building momentum.  Every game so far will have brought them on and lifted their belief.  Cavan played this year in Division 1 and Donegal in Division 2 and that should stand to them also. Graham also seems to have a touch of an x-factor about him and the more time he has with Cavan this year, the more they'll keep improving.  Maybe a draw?

ck

Quote from: APM on June 20, 2019, 01:25:51 PM
I can see Cavan giving Donegal a hell of a run for their money here.  Having beaten Tyrone they've perhaps already played their Ulster Final and Cavan are building momentum.  Every game so far will have brought them on and lifted their belief.  Cavan played this year in Division 1 and Donegal in Division 2 and that should stand to them also. Graham also seems to have a touch of an x-factor about him and the more time he has with Cavan this year, the more they'll keep improving.  Maybe a draw?

@APM you are away in the head. We're talking 2 teams in completely different leagues here. Cavan are sprightly I'll give you that but they'll be brought back to size on Sunday. They simply won't be able to contain Donegal. I can see it being one sided.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Redhand Santa

Quote from: ck on June 20, 2019, 11:27:02 PM
Quote from: APM on June 20, 2019, 01:25:51 PM

@APM you are away in the head. We're talking 2 teams in completely different leagues here. Cavan are sprightly I'll give you that but they'll be brought back to size on Sunday. They simply won't be able to contain Donegal. I can see it being one sided.

Cavan played division one this year and Donegal division 2 so you are correct about them being in different leagues. I think this game could be fairly close. Really hope it is as there has been a lot of very disappointing ulster finals in recent years. The last decent one for the neutral was Monaghan shocking Donegal back in 2013.

ck

Yeah fair enough but Donegal were promoted and Cavan were relegated. They met in C'ship last year and it was a handy enough win for Donegal. It'll be same on Sunday.