Cork V Mayo - What odds on a draw?

Started by Mayo4Sam, March 28, 2010, 04:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

QuoteIt's games he needs.
He's too heavy

Ya he needs to watch the skinfolds alright.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Foreverhopeful

He's bringing the mullet back. Overweight and a mullet, great look Aidan!
Ah no he's a big lad who has to be very conscious of his weight.

Lar Naparka

Could it be that there are no langers hanging about on this board? Come to think of it, there isn't a langerette to be found either.
The Republic of Langerland hasn't sent an ambassador along to discuss surrender terms either. Hasn't anyone by the Lee realised yet the mortal danger to their pride and football prowess that has appeared on their radar screens?
Apart from Jinxy and Hound, a pair of sensible lads who do join in on a wide number of Mayo-related threads, it's shamrock and heather stuff all the way - so far at any rate. Ne'er a sign of Indy or Zulu either.
Maybe it's the sight of Aidan  O'Shea's mullet that is giving them all the heebie jeebies.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

heffo

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 01, 2010, 09:24:03 AM
Could it be that there are no langers hanging about on this board? Come to think of it, there isn't a langerette to be found either.
The Republic of Langerland hasn't sent an ambassador along to discuss surrender terms either. Hasn't anyone by the Lee realised yet the mortal danger to their pride and football prowess that has appeared on their radar screens?
Apart from Jinxy and Hound, a pair of sensible lads who do join in on a wide number of Mayo-related threads, it's shamrock and heather stuff all the way - so far at any rate. Ne'er a sign of Indy or Zulu either.
Maybe it's the sight of Aidan  O'Shea's mullet that is giving them all the heebie jeebies.

Reillers is from a Dual club - he should really be posting on football too..

Farrandeelin

This time next our fate will be decided and I'd say that Cork will not want to lose their last home game in the league so they will be odds on favourites I'd say. Added to Dublin's necessity to beat Tyrone in Omagh and the fact Mayo won in Omagh and Dublin beat Mayo it all boils down to a Dublin v Cork league final which will sell out.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Zulu

Hard to comment on this game, we just don't know how seriously will Cork take it. I suspect they'll play a weakened side which makes predicting the winner difficult. Mayo are coming along nicely but they often do well in the league and struggle in the championship, particularly at the business end, so I'm not convinced that their current position is any cause for summer optimism. Considering the heat JOM was getting here at the start of the year I don't see too many lads giving him the credit he deserves, is that fair or have I just missed those posts?

small white mayoman

Quote from: Zulu on April 04, 2010, 09:02:05 PM
Hard to comment on this game, we just don't know how seriously will Cork take it. I suspect they'll play a weakened side which makes predicting the winner difficult. Mayo are coming along nicely but they often do well in the league and struggle in the championship, particularly at the business end, so I'm not convinced that their current position is any cause for summer optimism. Considering the heat JOM was getting here at the start of the year I don't see too many lads giving him the credit he deserves, is that fair or have I just missed those posts?

its a bit early to be handing out the plaudits yet as regards humble pie have you made any comments about the performances of seamus o' shea  ;)?
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

Zulu

Touche! And I will gladly acknowledge his improvement though the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned, he will need to produce championship performances before I am convinced. In saying that, he is performing much better than I thought he would and it is great to see him develop as he is a decent skin and I'd love to see him be part of an AI winning Mayo team. As for JOM, I think he has been doing a good job (like Gilroy in Dublin) with a good, but not outstanding, panel of players and he is simply continuing that good work but isn't getting much credit for it. When Mayo go through a bad patch or lose however lads are never slow to get the digs in.

small white mayoman

Quote from: Zulu on April 04, 2010, 09:20:01 PM
Touche! And I will gladly acknowledge his improvement though the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned, he will need to produce championship performances before I am convinced. In saying that, he is performing much better than I thought he would and it is great to see him develop as he is a decent skin and I'd love to see him be part of an AI winning Mayo team. As for JOM, I think he has been doing a good job (like Gilroy in Dublin) with a good, but not outstanding, panel of players and he is simply continuing that good work but isn't getting much credit for it. When Mayo go through a bad patch or lose however lads are never slow to get the digs in.

well thank you zulu  8) no more than the jury is out on o' shea the same can be said for o' mahony remember we got to the league final in his 1st year in charge in 2007 and look what happened it will be later on in the summer that o'mahony will be judged
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

Chris agus Snoop

Big competition for places in Cork so I don't think they'll be taking it handy. Mayo better bring their A game.
I think Cork would prefer Dublin in the final to get the younger lads used to playing in front of big crowds.

Zulu

Quote from: small white mayoman on April 04, 2010, 09:51:53 PM

well thank you zulu  8) no more than the jury is out on o' shea the same can be said for o' mahony remember we got to the league final in his 1st year in charge in 2007 and look what happened it will be later on in the summer that o'mahony will be judged

In fairness swm, JOM has been doing a pretty good job over the three years so I think he warrants a bit more credit than he gets. Other than the defeat to Meath last year I think he has got as much out the Mayo teams as could be expected. Anyway things look to be going alright at the moment but it will be a tough championship this year with Mayo capable of beating most of the top teams out there but also capable of being beaten by 7 or 8 of them too. If Mayo happen to get beaten by Galway and then lose to, lets say Kildare, I don't think that would mean JOM has done a bad job as I don't think Mayo are so far ahead of either of those teams to be sure they'd beat either. No FB, an average midfield and a forward line devoid of a Gooch, SON, B. Brogsn type forward will be your undoing I fear. Hope I'm wrong though.

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: Zulu on April 04, 2010, 10:05:14 PM
Quote from: small white mayoman on April 04, 2010, 09:51:53 PM

In fairness swm, JOM has been doing a pretty good job over the three years so I think he warrants a bit more credit than he gets. Other than the defeat to Meath last year I think he has got as much out the Mayo teams as could be expected. Anyway things look to be going alright at the moment but it will be a tough championship this year with Mayo capable of beating most of the top teams out there but also capable of being beaten by 7 or 8 of them too. If Mayo happen to get beaten by Galway and then lose to, lets say Kildare, I don't think that would mean JOM has done a bad job as I don't think Mayo are so far ahead of either of those teams to be sure they'd beat either. No FB, an average midfield and a forward line devoid of a Gooch, SON, B. Brogsn type forward will be your undoing I fear. Hope I'm wrong though.

I quite like that we have a good selection of forwards rather than one out and out star that we're always relying on. If we only had one, but he was outstanding, and then he got injured. we'd be finished. Teams are going to put extra focus on Aidan O'Shea this year, hopefully this should free up some space for the other forwards and they'll go well. With McGarrity back fit, Parsons back to form (thought he played great against Monaghan) and Seamus O'Shea winning plenty of dirty ball, I think that's a fair decent midfield too.

I just wish we were a bit more agressive in the backs though, they're all lovely footballers but I wish we had a few more tough men to put a bit of fear into opposition forwards. That, I fear, could be our undoing this year.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Zulu

Don't know Cosmo, I don't rate McGarrity as a top midfielder and Parsons, though talented, or O'Shea have yet to prove themselves at championship level. I also think every AI winning team has, at least, one go to forward, they have other decent forwards but you have to have one top notch forward and I don't think Mayo have.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Zulu on April 04, 2010, 10:22:15 PM
Don't know Cosmo, I don't rate McGarrity as a top midfielder and Parsons, though talented, or O'Shea have yet to prove themselves at championship level. I also think every AI winning team has, at least, one go to forward, they have other decent forwards but you have to have one top notch forward and I don't think Mayo have.
You are right, Zulu; Parsons and O'Shea aren't quite ready yet but they are coming along nicely. Give them another year. I don't think McGarrity has enough of the grafter in him to be truly effective. He's a brave and dedicated individual but he is not a leader.
No, we don't have any top class forwards, not yet at any rate. But there is a very good spread of talent there all the same and things are coming along nicely. By this time next year, I expect our attack will be able to trouble any defence in the country.
Right now, I'm happy that the team has made it to the business end of the league. They have managed to do so without having a single easy match and without playing exceptionally well at any time either.  They made plenty of mistakes along the way and totally lost the plot at times –as any developing side tends to do but they showed no sign whatever of throwing in the towel in any game so far.
We can only wait to see what happens next week and what interest Mayo may have in further proceedings but I'm happy they will continue to develop and improve.
It may well take another year before this team is ready for all comers but I'm reasonably happy with their progress so far.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 04, 2010, 06:56:59 PM
This time next our fate will be decided and I'd say that Cork will not want to lose their last home game in the league so they will be odds on favourites I'd say. Added to Dublin's necessity to beat Tyrone in Omagh and the fact Mayo won in Omagh and Dublin beat Mayo it all boils down to a Dublin v Cork league final which will sell out.

You do a hard sell. Dont think Dublin v Cork final would sell out much. Would you go? Dont think a Mayo final would sell much either looking at home attendances this year. The GAA have a problem. People dont go to games.