Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Guys just to let u know heriam talked the talk there. As for opening the bathroom window it actually has the opposite effect as the moisture is more dense than the air outside and when the window is opened it sends the moisture under door and will find itself on the nearest coldest wall. The best thing to do is keep bathroom door shut the window shut and the extractor fan on until bathroom is clear...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

lfdown2

Not quite the right thread but possible correct audience. Anyone know where I would get my hands on the latest Spon's Price Book for works (civil) in ROI? Cheers,

The Subbie

Quote from: lfdown2 on January 09, 2015, 05:06:56 PM
Not quite the right thread but possible correct audience. Anyone know where I would get my hands on the latest Spon's Price Book for works (civil) in ROI? Cheers,

From memory you can order them online from spons press.

Again from memory the last edition was 2008 so pricing won't be current, anyway if your pricing right you won't need a book, do it yet self man ffs!!

lfdown2

Quote from: The Subbie on January 10, 2015, 12:36:03 AM
Quote from: lfdown2 on January 09, 2015, 05:06:56 PM

From memory you can order them online from spons press.

Again from memory the last edition was 2008 so pricing won't be current, anyway if your pricing right you won't need a book, do it yet self man ffs!!

There is a more recent one, '13/'14...was thinking someone might have a spare edition  ;)
Just started work in the south and would be handy for a check if nothing else though you're not wrong!

supersarsfields

Quick question. We had a site and got plans for a house drawn up back in 2012. With changes in our circumstances we held of building and are now looking at it again. But we've got a site passed on family lad now and were going to submit the previous plans on the new site. (There's no real restrictions on the new site). We contacted the Architect again but he explained how regulations had changed since 2012 in relation to insulation etc and that they would need done again. He said he was going to charge us roughly the same again. So instead we asked for AutoCAD copies of the plans but he refused citing copyright. We were a bit miffed considering we had paid him for the original plans.
We have a friend who is going to redo the plans but needed the AutoCAD copies otherwise it's a lot bigger process for him. I'm assuming the Architect is within his rights to withhold the CADs?
Also we're going to price everything ourselves rather than contractor. Anyone point to a good website for working through this? I've a fair idea of most things but would be nice to see a rough timetable or plan that I could follow to keep me right or to give good building advise.

The Raven

Quote from: supersarsfields on January 28, 2015, 01:45:56 PM
Quick question. We had a site and got plans for a house drawn up back in 2012. With changes in our circumstances we held of building and are now looking at it again. But we've got a site passed on family lad now and were going to submit the previous plans on the new site. (There's no real restrictions on the new site). We contacted the Architect again but he explained how regulations had changed since 2012 in relation to insulation etc and that they would need done again. He said he was going to charge us roughly the same again. So instead we asked for AutoCAD copies of the plans but he refused citing copyright. We were a bit miffed considering we had paid him for the original plans.
We have a friend who is going to redo the plans but needed the AutoCAD copies otherwise it's a lot bigger process for him. I'm assuming the Architect is within his rights to withhold the CADs?
Also we're going to price everything ourselves rather than contractor. Anyone point to a good website for working through this? I've a fair idea of most things but would be nice to see a rough timetable or plan that I could follow to keep me right or to give good building advise.
If you paid him for drawings the plans are yours but only the paper copies. If you want the dwg files that would be a different matter as these could be changed and his templates and logo would still be on them.

supersarsfields

Yeah kind of figured it would be something like that. He's now agreed to send through stripped plans with the design on them but nothing else so at least it'll be a starting point for the other guy.
Regarding the second question, anyone know any good sites that run through the building process and outlines what all needs to be done and when. Or at least can give a decent plan that we could work from?

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on December 13, 2014, 11:42:29 AM
Attic truss insulation. 150mm timbers. Would I be right in saying that 100 kingspan (or equivalent) is the way to go? or is battening it out further and putting in fibre a better (and cheaper?) job?

I cut the 100mm foiled back insulation between the trusses in my attic, great job, but a soul destroying and dirty job.

I think the price of insulation is pretty expensive now, I was buying three 8 by 4 feet sheets of 100mm foil backed for £27 quid, I think its more than twice that now!

Ever had a look at those lads who blow in the stuff between the rafters?

illdecide

The architect is within his/her rights to keep the Cad files and supply you with paper copies or/and PDF files. I would def go back to him/her and offer a reduced fee (even cash) for the amended plans and see what he/she says. Put the ball back in their court!!!

It is a bit bad on Architect TBH and it doesn't surprise me as 90% of Architects are arseho*es and they're usually that far up their own asses they don't give a hoot about anyone else. They think they're God (not Peter Canavan...lol)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Hereiam

There is still an odd good one about.

snoopdog

Next door are puting up an extension but the speed of how it is going up is quite alarming now its a single story extension so it might be ok but this is how quickly its gone up and it looks a bit suspect to me.

friday 16th January they dug the foundations the following monday poured concrete in foundations was a frost that night but they didnt cover the founds, the next day they laid brick on it to bring up the floor levels. 2 days later they poured the concrete floor just before dark again another frost not covered. the following day the entire walls were up. Sat 24th started doing the roof attaching it to a what looked like 4 by 2 screwed into both walls. nothing done this week im assuming they are in dispute with the owners as the roof pitch is way higher than anyone elses extensions in he row.

is this excessively quick?? ive never seen an extension go up so quick. its about 25 * 20 ft .

NP 76

Snoop dog very quick must be Mc Greevy construction in hilltown never saw anyone as quick building houses as them

redzone

[quote a
Quote from: snoopdog on January 30, 2015, 03:42:54 PM
Next door are puting up an extension but the speed of how it is going up is quite alarming now its a single story extension so it might be ok but this is how quickly its gone up and it looks a bit suspect to me.

friday 16th January they dug the foundations the following monday poured concrete in foundations was a frost that night but they didnt cover the founds, the next day they laid brick on it to bring up the floor levels. 2 days later they poured the concrete floor just before dark again another frost not covered. the following day the entire walls were up. Sat 24th started doing the roof attaching it to a what looked like 4 by 2 screwed into both walls. nothing done this week im assuming they are in dispute with the owners as the roof pitch is way higher than anyone elses extensions in he row.

is this excessively quick?? ive never seen an extension go up so quick. its about 25 * 20 ft .
uthor=Hereiam link=topic=18673.msg1435378#msg1435378 date=1422566903]
There is still an odd good one about.
[/quote]u havnt said how many men were building it.they couldn't have build it in 1 day as it would hav fell over.usually 12 row to wallplate.max in a day would be 7/8 row in winter time.any more and it would fall over.mortar has to set you see.if they had it on a price then it could be done in a very quick time.one thing u don't need to do is cover the founds in frosty weather.

NP 76

Very hard to hold 12 course plumb. Normally scaffold high in a day then top it off. No way you could set heads on all in one day. It would take it twice as long to dry out this time of year

balladmaker

Gibson Paving from Portglenone ... anyone any experience of them good or bad?