General Fitness / Weight Training / Going To The Gym

Started by LC, December 08, 2022, 11:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 11, 2022, 08:46:54 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on December 11, 2022, 08:14:25 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 10, 2022, 10:48:11 PM
Re. Young fellas weight training - a generation ago and before would have seen many a young lad labouring sites and grafting on farms at 14-16 and nobody was saying it was too much. The young farmers that come through the school and club rugby are usually built for action before they ever handled a ball.
Lads in gym now spend more time on phones than actually training
Must haves:
Cordless headphones - airpod style
Latest runners
Spotless designer hoodie/tracksuit bottoms

I must look like a tr**p when I'm in their training

A blocklayer made the point to me recently that he'd have 18/19 year olds labouring for him. And instead of them using the natural work of the day to get strong- wheelbarrow, moving blocks, shovel work... young lads would be swanning about saving themselves for the gym after work!
See that natural strength from working on sites or farms- 9 times out of 10 if a lad like that runs into a gym boy he'll burst him. A lot to be said for the manual work
My money is on the gym bunnies, not some big glipe with a bad back

Armagh18

Quote from: general_lee on December 12, 2022, 04:48:22 PM
Re. Young fellas weight training - a generation ago and before would have seen many a young lad labouring sites and grafting on farms at 14-16 and nobody was saying it was too much. The young farmers that come through the school and club rugby are usually built for action before they ever handled a ball.
Must haves:
Latest runners

A blocklayer made the point to me recently that he'd have 18/19 year olds labouring for him. And instead of them using the natural work of the day to get strong- wheelbarrow, moving blocks, shovel work... young lads would be swanning about saving themselves for the gym after work!
See that natural strength from working on sites or farms- 9 times out of 10 if a lad like that runs into a gym boy he'll burst him. A lot to be said for the manual work
Just going on what I've seen lol seen plenty of the farmer types go into gyms for the first time and be top of the strength tests putting the gym goers to shame

Wildweasel74

Strongest lad we ever had was a 6ft 3jn farmer, strong as a bull but too nice.

johnnycool

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 12, 2022, 09:49:02 PM
Must haves:
Latest runners

Just going on what I've seen lol seen plenty of the farmer types go into gyms for the first time and be top of the strength tests putting the gym goers to shame

I laboured on building sites during my student years, strongest I ever was. Going up and down ladders with a hod (some of you younger ones might need to google that) with two concrete blocks or 12 brick in it certainly tightens a pair of glutes on you.
Didn't give me a six pack though  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on December 13, 2022, 08:21:30 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on December 12, 2022, 09:49:02 PM
Must haves:
Latest runners

I laboured on building sites during my student years, strongest I ever was. Going up and down ladders with a hod (some of you younger ones might need to google that) with two concrete blocks or 12 brick in it certainly tightens a pair of glutes on you.
Didn't give me a six pack though  ;D

Laboured for a year with my dad back in the day, like you in the best shape of my life, was conked out in the car on the way home, though I did have a six pack lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea