The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 27, 2010, 06:20:33 PM
Good lad. Me either. It doesnt mean I agree with the SDLP accommodating them at the cost of nationalist majority consitituents in Fermanagh/South Tyrone.
Whoever wins F/ST will have been democratically elected by the constituents. Get over it.

Rosie McCann

I was dissapointed to hear the sitting MP for South Belfast say that the withdrawal of Alex Maskey was a stunt. It was also dissapointing to hear Ms Ritchie say that the withdrawal would not affect the SDLP vote in the area. Without going into specifics some of the electorate who would ordinarily have voted Sinn Fein/Unionist at the last election voted for the MP currently in situ, simply to help the area move away from tribal politics. I may be wrong but I firmly believe the arrogance demonstrated recently by Ms Ritchie and Alisdair McDonnell could well come back to bite. My late grandfather always told me never to pull the ladder up behind you as you never know when you have to go back down again, wise words indeed. Hopefully for them they haven't cut off their nose to spite their face by dismissing in particular Sinn Fein voters out of hand. (It is ironic that for years the SDLP pleaded for nationalist votes in the South Belfast area in order to secure a nationalist seat and now they treat the same voters with disdain?)

Zapatista

Quote from: Rosie McCann on April 27, 2010, 09:09:40 PM
I was dissapointed to hear the sitting MP for South Belfast say that the withdrawal of Alex Maskey was a stunt. It was also dissapointing to hear Ms Ritchie say that the withdrawal would not affect the SDLP vote in the area. Without going into specifics some of the electorate who would ordinarily have voted Sinn Fein/Unionist at the last election voted for the MP currently in situ, simply to help the area move away from tribal politics. I may be wrong but I firmly believe the arrogance demonstrated recently by Ms Ritchie and Alisdair McDonnell could well come back to bite. My late grandfather always told me never to pull the ladder up behind you as you never know when you have to go back down again, wise words indeed. Hopefully for them they haven't cut off their nose to spite their face by dismissing in particular Sinn Fein voters out of hand. (It is ironic that for years the SDLP pleaded for nationalist votes in the South Belfast area in order to secure a nationalist seat and now they treat the same voters with disdain?)

That's shocking bad electioneering :o

Gaffer

Good lad. Me either. It doesnt mean I agree with the SDLP accommodating them at the cost of nationalist majority consitituents in Fermanagh/South Tyrone.

IDEA ! Gildernew steps aside. Sinn Fein call for Nationalists to support McKinney to ensure a nationalist is returned.
If however, Sinn FEin are still prepared to split the nationalist vote and let a unionist become elected then they are as nuch to blame as the SDLP.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

trileacman

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 27, 2010, 02:32:48 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on April 27, 2010, 12:49:02 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 27, 2010, 12:25:53 PM
Why is this tread the focus of debate about the upcoming elections? It looks like Sinn Fein are more into SDLP bashing than focusing on their own policies.

Agree totally. You dont see them bashing their good mates......... the unionists.

I think the SDLP have proven by their attitude to Fermanagh/South Tyrone that they indeed are the true friends of unionism. I think the examples I outlined on page one of this thread would substantiate that argument further.

Well if you'd rather turf grenades . . .
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Nally Stand

Quote from: Gaffer on April 27, 2010, 09:58:51 PM

IDEA ! Gildernew steps aside. Sinn Fein call for Nationalists to support McKinney to ensure a nationalist is returned.
If however, Sinn FEin are still prepared to split the nationalist vote and let a unionist become elected then they are as nuch to blame as the SDLP.

OK so your "IDEA!" for a nationalist pact is for SF to pull out of two constituencies to facilitate an SDLP victory in both? Sound reasoning. Have you not read the newspapers? Sinn Fein already pulled out of a consitituency to facilitate an SDLP candidate. The SDLP would not reciprocate in another consitituency.

The SDLP and Orange Order will be totally responsible if/when a tory unionist is elected to Fermanagh/South Tyrone.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Ulick

Quote from: Main Street on April 27, 2010, 12:25:53 PM
Why is this tread the focus of debate about the upcoming elections? It looks like Sinn Fein are more into SDLP bashing than focusing on their own policies.

Policies? It's a Brit election, policy is irrelevant. Given that the amount of influence anyone this side of the water will have amounts to the square root of f**k all, the only policy that matters is position on the National Question. The Stoops appear to want to doff their caps to the old colonial masters and Durkan and McDonnell have been seduced by the pomp, circumstance and cash of the Brit establishment - Irish nationalists my hole. West Brits or Uncle Toms would be a more fitting description.

lawnseed

had the shinners at the door last week, the main aim is to become the biggest party here, gildernew needs 9 out of 10 nationlist votes in fst to win the seat, lets be honest winning westminister seats for sinn fein is just muscle flexing so its not the end of the world if they dont. unfortunately for the sdlp they have to try for jobs or they're gonna disappear altogether, they'll hold onto a couple of mps this time but they're in terminal decline like their wishy washy mates the unionist party ::)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Pangurban

Lets not forget another aspect of this equation,Margaret Ritchie will need Unionist votes to retain South Down for the SDLP, probably her primary reason for rejecting a pact, pure self interest

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Gaffer on April 27, 2010, 09:58:51 PM

IDEA!!  Watch the Politics Show "debate" with McKinney & Kelly.  McKinney wouldn't get elected if he was the only one standing...Question for McKinney supporters...how long has he been a member of the SDLP??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

johnneycool

It'd probably make more sense to let the sitting MP stand if its an election pact you 'd be entering in to.

Maguire01

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on April 28, 2010, 09:06:32 AM
IDEA!!  Watch the Politics Show "debate" with McKinney & Kelly.  McKinney wouldn't get elected if he was the only one standing...Question for McKinney supporters...how long has he been a member of the SDLP??
Firstly, I think some people are placing too much importance on that episode of The Politics Show. McKinney was bad, but it's hardly a primetime show. It's impact will be limited.

Also I'm not sure of the relevance of McKinney's time in the SDLP. How long was Ruane a member of SF before she stood for them as a candidate?

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 28, 2010, 01:05:58 PM
Firstly, I think some people are placing too much importance on that episode of The Politics Show. McKinney was bad, but it's hardly a primetime show. It's impact will be limited.

Also I'm not sure of the relevance of McKinney's time in the SDLP. How long was Ruane a member of SF before she stood for them as a candidate?

Haven't a clue, I would never vote for Ruane as she's been promoted way above her level of competence (plus she's not standing in my constituency).  However I do know that she was involved in community "activism" in West Belfast for a good while before she became an elected representative but that's probably not relevant. 

Fearghal McKinney is looking for my vote judging by the leaflet stuck on my car at Mass on Sunday and the same leaflet through the letter box.  So his background and experience are relevant.  The SDLP will loook back on his candidacy next Friday and think "Well it seemed like a good idea at the time"  I would guess the thinking was "We'll get a high profile celeb candidate to eat into Gildernew's vote and maybe set us up for a decent tilt at Gerry McHugh's Assembly seat".  Maybe not a bad strategy.  They were scuppered by two things 1) The single Unionist/Tory candidate (over which the SDLP had no control) and 2) A poor candidate who clearly doesn't have a grasp of the issues (over which they do have control).

Quote from: the_daddy on April 28, 2010, 01:46:11 PM

McKinney's performance wasn't of Cecil Walker proportions, but it was pretty bad by anyone's standards. It was certainly poor enough to make me seriously reconsider about lumping heavily on Connor.

the daddy..don't lump on anyone here...I still think Connor will win but it's going to be too close to consider a big bet IMHO

ziggysego

How do you make that?

He goes on the show to debate with Gerry Kelly about why Nationalists should vote SDLP instead of Sinn Fein. He makes a complete hash of it. Spurting out tired cliches and losing every single debate against him.

To me that is important. It highlights that rather than selecting a candidate of substance, the SDLP parashooted in a local celebrity to win votes. Quite frankly, that's insulting to the local electorate.

A further note, you may say Fergal McKinney is new to politics. Mike Nesbitt is new to politics too, but he handled himself a lot better against Jeffrey Donaldson.
Testing Accessibility