Legal eagle help needed!

Started by RedHand88, March 18, 2021, 06:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Hi folks, have a legal query.

I was priced £640 for a new toilet by a plumbing firm. They initially offered a repair for what was I think 350 but that they couldn't stand over it and it would likely leak again. Didn't go with them for obvious reasons, ended up getting a repair done for £120 elsewhere.
I've never left a bad Google review in my life, but this crowd really annoyed me to the point where I put up a review simply stating what they were charging and what I paid elsewhere for a repair (no replacement required), and for people to price around.

In response they sent someone to the house today to tell my home alone pregnant wife that they were starting legal action, and were asking to see a receipt for the work that was done.
In addition to this, they sent me a long winded text message saying they would start legal proceedings if I did not take it down, as well as insinuating I was put up to it by a rival plumber,  which is obviously nonsense.

Am I obligated to show them any receipts if I've mentioned it in a Google review?
Is this a bluff?
Nothing I stated was false, except maybe that I didn't clarify the 120 i paid elsewhere was a repair and not a replacement, but I would be willing to clarify that in the post. Its still a ridiculous price for a bog.

Any solicitors able to clarify where I stand?

Thanks.

Angelo

Post another review saying they're taking legal action against you.

You need to escalate matters.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

armaghniac

Was your name and address on the review?
Today, send them a data protection request for a copy of all information they hold about you and a request to delete this forthwith. You have no continuing business relationship.
Report them to the Data Protection Commissioner, you did business with them to get a quote for your bog, not to have someone come to your house about a review. Using your address for that purpose is likely a misuse of data.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RedHand88

Quote from: armaghniac on March 18, 2021, 06:47:03 PM
Today, send them a data protection request for a copy of all information they hold about you and a request to delete this forthwith. You have no continuing business relationship.
Report them to the Data Protection Commissioner, you did business with them to get a quote for your bog, not to have someone come to your house about a review. Using your address for that purpose is likely a misuse of data.

Name was on the review, not my address. I assume they still had job notes from it with my details and got the address from it. Couldn't believe it when my wife rang me to tell me, im very close to ringing the police and reporting harassment.

Does anyone know if David McKeown still uses the board?

delgany

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 18, 2021, 06:52:44 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 18, 2021, 06:47:03 PM

Name was on the review, not my address. I assume they still had job notes from it with my details and got the address from it. Couldn't believe it when my wife rang me to tell me, im very close to ringing the police and reporting harassment.

Does anyone know if David McKeown still uses the board?
[/quote
David was on the parking ticket page' this week

grounded

Yes David answered a recent query in the parking ticket thread.
     Jesus, that is mental. I'm not a solicitor but what you posted on the google review seems fair and as far as you are concerned factually correct.
      Their response seems unreasonable, threatening and way over the top.
       I would do as armaghniac said. I would send the letter recorded delivery and keep the receipt. Ask that they acknowledge your letter and then report them to the data protection commissioner.
       If your wife did feel threatened you are well within your rights to contact the police.

delgany

There's plenty of cowboys out there.
Caught a 'gas engineer' out ' a while back, he said the gas boiler needed replaced as it was over 10 years old and it would be £3000 up front. The boiler was 4 yr old. Told him to do one. It needed an expander at £90 .
It depends where you live, but it's difficult getting a reliable tradesman

Armagh Girl

They have no grounds to instigate legal proceedings and have most certainly breached GDPR, do as Armaghniac has stated. Going to your home would definitely be considered as a bullying technique and if your wife feels threatened I would involve the Psni, Business must be bad when they are resorting to this. Why don't you tell everyone online which town /village this business is in so it can be avoided at all costs - Bully Boys!

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Armagh Girl on March 18, 2021, 08:13:22 PM
They have no grounds to instigate legal proceedings and have most certainly breached GDPR, do as Armaghniac has stated. Going to your home would definitely be considered as a bullying technique and if your wife feels threatened I would involve the Psni, Business must be bad when they are resorting to this. Why don't you tell everyone online which town /village this business is in so it can be avoided at all costs - Bully Boys!
GDPR is EU legislation but.

RedHand88

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 18, 2021, 09:19:01 PM
Quote from: Armagh Girl on March 18, 2021, 08:13:22 PM
GDPR is EU legislation but.

Since Brexit, the UK is following UK GDPR as opposed to EU GDPR. They are essentially the same thing, for now.
So GDPR still applies as does the Data Protection Act 2018 which is a UK law.

John Egans left boot

Can you elaborate, they sent someone to house. What was said? what was handed over? If they handed over a letter etc what was the content !

David does use the board PM him !!

RedHand88

Quote from: John Egans left boot on March 18, 2021, 10:15:10 PM
Can you elaborate, they sent someone to house. What was said? what was handed over? If they handed over a letter etc what was the content !

Nothing was handed over. The goon employee he sent just said they needed to confirm this was my address so they could send a legal letter. Began by asking is this where such and such lives. She said yes, not knowing what was going on. He then wanted to know why I left a negative Google review, where we got it fixed, and wanted a copy of the receipt from the other party.
Shes working from home at the minute so is in the house alone for most of the day, so she's understandably worried about anyone else coming to the house.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 18, 2021, 10:24:49 PM
Quote from: John Egans left boot on March 18, 2021, 10:15:10 PM

Nothing was handed over. The goon employee he sent just said they needed to confirm this was my address so they could send a legal letter. Began by asking is this where such and such lives. She said yes, not knowing what was going on. He then wanted to know why I left a negative Google review, where we got it fixed, and wanted a copy of the receipt from the other party.
Shes working from home at the minute so is in the house alone for most of the day, so she's understandably worried about anyone else coming to the house.
That's not on. Tell the cnuts if you come around harassing your wife at home you'll involve the peelers.

John Egans left boot

Ok wait for whatever comes in writing, if it ever comes, then address this issue based on the contents of what's in their letter.Poor taste and totally unprofessional indeed by this company/people.

David McKeown

Yeah I am still here usually only check in once or twice a week though.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner