kerry v donegal

Started by delgany, March 07, 2016, 08:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

I was watching it, waiting to see whether it would be worth recording the deferred match coming after (spoiler: it was) and would like to note that the second half of the football was tremendous.

blewuporstuffed

Yes, thats what I am saying.
McGee has previous for this which ended up with breaking an opponents fingers , so he knew what he was at.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Zulu

Whether he was trying to break fingers or not is irrelevant as it was a cheap, cowardly act that should be punished in the harshest way the rules allow.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: BluestackBoy on March 08, 2016, 11:31:45 AM
No problem with McGee getting a long ban, what he did is completely unacceptable.

However I wouldn't stop there, the assault on Murphy by Donaghy at the start was equally as dangerous, equally unacceptable & equally deserving of a long ban.
+1

And this is my issue, McGee was out of order and if the rules are in place should be banned but I have a big problem in the isolating of him when actions on  a par with that went on in a game were ignored.

Man Marker

Was delighted to see Mc Gee get hit, didn't get hit hard enough for the action he was at. The melee at the start which was the result of Donagahy on Murphy was a lot of bluster, not a punch in it, rolling, pushing and slobbering, ref dealt with sensibly.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 08, 2016, 11:34:43 AM
McGee has previous for this which ended up with breaking an opponents fingers , so he knew what he was at.

Grand so next lad to deliberately trod on someone's toes in a game must be trying to break their toes. Next player to deliver a nasty shot in the ribs must be trying yo break their opponents ribs.

I don't for one second believemail McGee was trying to break his fingers.

Was it dangerous yet?  Nasty and underhand?  Yes.

But you jump to the assertion he was trying to cause an injury to him rather than a momentary period of pain/distress with the aim of provoking a reaction is ridiculous and if you're in anyway consistent you'll apply the same logic to every incident of sneaky play

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Zulu on March 08, 2016, 11:35:59 AM
Whether he was trying to break fingers or not is irrelevant as it was a cheap, cowardly act that should be punished in the harshest way the rules allow.

Yes but it's not unusual, we've all heard the story of famous olden day full backs greeting their marker with a knee to the thigh and such. It's something that's always been common in the game and still is.

I don't see anything worse about bending someone's fingers back than standing on their toes or delivering sneaky close fist shots to the ribcage or knees to the thigh. All are common in the game and none are recent developments.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 08, 2016, 11:41:20 AM

Grand so next lad to deliberately trod on someone's toes in a game must be trying to break their toes. Next player to deliver a nasty shot in the ribs must be trying yo break their opponents ribs.

But you jump to the assertion he was trying to cause an injury to him rather than a momentary period of pain/distress with the aim of provoking a reaction is ridiculous and if you're in anyway consistent you'll apply the same logic to every incident of sneaky play

He carried out an action that was very likely to result in breaking /dislocating a  finger, regardless of his intention.
To compare it to troding on someones toes or hitting them a dig in the ribs is ridiculous as those actions a re far less likely to cause injury.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

tonto1888

what did donaghy do to murphy? I haven't seen any footage of that

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 08, 2016, 11:47:11 AM

He carried out an action that was very likely to result in breaking /dislocating a  finger, regardless of his intention.
To compare it to troding on someones toes or hitting them a dig in the ribs is ridiculous as those actions a re far less likely to cause injury.

A 15/16 stone lad trdodding on your toes with studs is very likely to break someone's toes.

A highly conditioned player delivering a close fist pinch to the ribs is very likely to crack/break someone's ribs.

A knee to the groin/thigh  is very likely to give someone a dead leg.

Did Lee Keegan try and murder Diarmuid Connolly last year because when I try and apply your logic to that situation then that's what I'm coming up with.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 08, 2016, 11:51:20 AM

A 15/16 stone lad trdodding on your toes with studs is very likely to break someone's toes.

A highly conditioned player delivering a close fist pinch to the ribs is very likely to crack/break someone's ribs.

Did Lee Keegan try and murder Diarmuid Connolly last year because when I try and apply your logic to that situation then that's what I'm coming up with.

I think that says more about your logic than mine

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 08, 2016, 11:52:20 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 08, 2016, 11:51:20 AM

I think that says more about your logic than mine

You can't kill someone in a headlock?

longballin

Good to see a bit of aul physicality though the finger incident was nasty...

westbound

Another thing that really annoys me about the modern game, is all this goading and 'manly' bravado that goes on.

As an example, after mcGee started the incident with Fitzgerald and fitzgerald was then sent off mcgee shouldered him as he was going off. What was the point of that? Mcgee initiated the incident and got (presumably) the reaction he wanted and fitzgerald was sent off? This sh1te of shouldering lads in the back and going chest to chest is really awful to watch!

Aidan O'Mahoney is another one who was at it on sunday.

And Bryan Sheehan was at it with one of the Donegal players (can't remember which one). They were pushing each other for ages looking for each other to react. It's awful sh1te to watch.

Just get on with the game lads FFS.

And by the way this is not an anti Donegal/Kerry rant. This rubbish goes on in lots of games. This is just the most recent game!

longballin

You're right the mouthing these days is terrible and is everywhere. Club players including underage copied it.