The Dubs in Aughrim

Started by slippery dodger, May 13, 2018, 06:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slippery dodger

Dublin are set to take on Wicklow in Aughrim in two weeks time. Not all of Dublin's season ticket holders will get a ticket. Will the GAA move it out of Aughrim? It would be some occasion if it goes ahead there!

dublin7

GAA announced previously if Offaly had won the game was set for Tullamore. If Wicklow won the game was fixed for portlaoise. Aughrim not big enough

slippery dodger

Thats fair enough. Wicklow will be hammered in Portlaois though

tippabu

Thank christ this isn't on telly

Aaron Boone

There's only a few Leinster grounds now deemed big enough for Dublin season-ticket holders. As far as I know they have to get a stand ticket. Aughrim won't make the cut.

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 13, 2018, 08:30:20 PM
There's only a few Leinster grounds now deemed big enough for Dublin  season-ticket holders band-wagonners. As far as I know they have to get a stand ticket. Aughrim won't make the cut.

Fixed that for you.

Gael85

Dublin first championship game against Wicklow since 1989

TheGreatest

Quote from: StGallsGAA on May 13, 2018, 09:14:28 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 13, 2018, 08:30:20 PM
There's only a few Leinster grounds now deemed big enough for Dublin  season-ticket holders band-wagonners. As far as I know they have to get a stand ticket. Aughrim won't make the cut.

Fixed that for you.

Id say the opposite, ticket holders to proper fans, the bandwagoners show up from the Leinster final onwards.

A real pity not in Aughrim, Wicklow deserve their home game.

tippabu

Funniest thing of all this is when they played laois, portlaoise wasn't big enough to hold it, but Dublin have played they're last two championship games outside Croke park in portlaoise

sid waddell

Wicklow were drawn against Galway in the 2001 qualifiers.

The game was in Aughrim and was a sell-out and an event that captured the imagination, well, relatively speaking.

Wicklow were drawn against Kerry in the 2002 qualifiers.

Aughrim was deemed not big enough to host the game and it was moved to Portlaoise.

Something like 2,000 people turned up.

I guess it would have been big enough after all.

Game should be played in Aughrim - it would be an event.

Dublin v Wicklow in Portlaoise will be a non-event.

Hound

Firstly, 100% agree that this match should be in Aughrim, but I'll shout from the loudest rooftop that this is in no way Dublin's fault!

DCB sent notification to Parnell Pass scheme stand ticket holders that if there are not enough stand tickets to a match, then you only get access to buy a terrace ticket.

(The PP scheme is dual code and gives free tickets to all Dublin NFL an NHL games and the ability to buy tickets to all championship games in which Dublin play - and there is a significant price increase for stand PP tickets - something like €125 versus €185).

The PP scheme is a Dublin county board scheme, and they've shown that in limited special circumstances, they're prepared to say tough sheeite to the stand ticket holders, you can lump it in the terrace for a game or two, or we're not going to refund anything to you or listen to your moaning.

I think season ticket stand holders should be told the same - although I'm guessing that'd be a decision for the GAA, not the DCB. 

Why the Dublin-Laois game was played in Nowlan Park rather than Portlaoise is a mystery to me. Wooly Parkinson on one of his podcasts said it was down to some Kilkenny official pulling a fast one. Wooly says a lot I know, but he was convinced, and quite emotional!, about it! 

tippabu

its interesting that cusack park in clare has a capacity of 14,846, I had a quick look back and only 4 games (limerick cork 2010, clare waterford 2010, 2012 and 2013) have their been attendances lower than the capacity of cusack park but cusack park hasnt been deemed too small and it will make for great buzz, full house and something new. I know theres issues which need to be resolved here 1st but i hope they exclude the token dubs on the road game they have given the last couple of years from the parnell pass and season tickets. There was only 13,000 at dublin carlow last year and portlaoise was only half full. The game this year might draw some more due to it not being on tv