Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelg

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on October 28, 2020, 12:21:31 PM
Quote from: michaelg on October 28, 2020, 12:17:55 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on October 28, 2020, 12:13:36 PM
Quote from: LCohen on October 27, 2020, 11:26:56 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 27, 2020, 04:41:09 PM
Quote from: LCohen on October 27, 2020, 12:29:15 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 27, 2020, 09:19:57 AM
Absolutely they should get teams up for the opening of it or some other piss about match but not a national final. The supporters of those counties deserve fair access to that game. Not dragged the entire length of the country.

Agree with that. The stadium should be developed to meet a need that is there. Not to move games around that already can be accommodated. I get the point that Clones would need major redevelopment and that is probably not going to happen and it's therefore legitimate to look somewhere else in Ulster for a leading stadium.

Somewhere around Dungannon would probably suit most but it's going to be Casement

Apart from a Nathan Carter concert who's going to go a gig in Dungannon with very few hotels in the area?

This is a multi functional stadium.......

I wasn't thinking about gigs. How many gigs was Casement planning to hold and how many of these would have been additional gigs for NI (rather than displaced from another venue?)

Condition of the planning is 3 Concerts per year
Do you think both sides of the community in Belfast would be happy to attend concerts there?

I think so. POP acts at Feile concerts in the Falls Park in recent years have attracted people from both sides.
Perhaps.  I am fairly middle of the road but have not attended anything in Falls Park yet myself.  Was looking to go to the Charlatans gig a few years ago and a few mates didn't fancy it.  I know nothing would have happened, but some people still a bit reluctant.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Saffrongael on October 28, 2020, 12:26:15 PM
Feile will be based in Casement and they will probably get more use out of it than Antrim GAA

This was a cert from the get go.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: michaelg on October 28, 2020, 12:31:51 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on October 28, 2020, 12:21:31 PM
Quote from: michaelg on October 28, 2020, 12:17:55 PM
Absolutely they should get teams up for the opening of it or some other piss about match but not a national final. The supporters of those counties deserve fair access to that game. Not dragged the entire length of the country.

Agree with that. The stadium should be developed to meet a need that is there. Not to move games around that already can be accommodated. I get the point that Clones would need major redevelopment and that is probably not going to happen and it's therefore legitimate to look somewhere else in Ulster for a leading stadium.

Somewhere around Dungannon would probably suit most but it's going to be Casement

Apart from a Nathan Carter concert who's going to go a gig in Dungannon with very few hotels in the area?

I wasn't thinking about gigs. How many gigs was Casement planning to hold and how many of these would have been additional gigs for NI (rather than displaced from another venue?)

Do you think both sides of the community in Belfast would be happy to attend concerts there?

I think so. POP acts at Feile concerts in the Falls Park in recent years have attracted people from both sides.
Perhaps.  I am fairly middle of the road but have not attended anything in Falls Park yet myself.  Was looking to go to the Charlatans gig a few years ago and a few mates didn't fancy it.  I know nothing would have happened, but some people still a bit reluctant.

Plenty Gaels at Ravenhill every week, many are season ticket holders

Not a great area to be hanging about either but hey ho

Boxing fights at Windsor

Finding a neutral area is nearly impossible unless its central Belfast, as it will always back on to a orange or green zone, Like Ormeau Park having concerts
there's usually no problems

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Pub Bore

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 28, 2020, 11:56:12 AM
Thats gas. Here is me thinking we are where we are because the Antrim County Board faked H&S documents wheras soccer and rugby did it right.
I'd think this is an example of what they call misinformation these days.  Pretty serious charge against the Antrim CB too?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2020, 11:56:46 AM
Thats gas. Here is me thinking we are where we are because the Antrim County Board faked H&S documents wheras soccer and rugby did it right.
What are you talking about? Antrim GAA no longer own Casement Park and are not building the new stadium.
Your issue might be with Ulster GAA? I'm not sure....

Apologies.Ulster GAA.

johnnycool

Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2020, 02:05:18 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 28, 2020, 01:11:41 PM
What are you talking about? Antrim GAA no longer own Casement Park and are not building the new stadium.

Apologies.Ulster GAA.
Without getting into the nitty gritty of what they did/didn't do, if your general point is that the reason why the GAA's stadium redevelopment hasn't even begun while soccer & rugby's stadium redevelopments are long finished is because the GAA have made a total hash of theirs, you aren't going to get a single argument from me.

Ulster GAA in particular made a hash of it. The lad leading it has now left the organisation.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on October 28, 2020, 04:00:43 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2020, 02:05:18 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 28, 2020, 01:11:41 PM

Apologies.Ulster GAA.
Without getting into the nitty gritty of what they did/didn't do, if your general point is that the reason why the GAA's stadium redevelopment hasn't even begun while soccer & rugby's stadium redevelopments are long finished is because the GAA have made a total hash of theirs, you aren't going to get a single argument from me.

Ulster GAA in particular made a hash of it. The lad leading it has now left the organisation.

Probably running the current Covid strategy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

LCohen

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on October 28, 2020, 09:57:47 AM
No reason why it couldn't facilitate the following as well as GAA. Soccer, rugby, Boxing, music

Don't think there would be much demand form either soccer or rugby. Possibly a European knock out game in rugby but that's it

LCohen

So a max of 3 concerts. Would be very interested to see what acts Casement can attract that another NI venue can't

LCohen

Quote from: clonadmad on October 28, 2020, 12:16:14 PM

By that logic Croke Park should have been put somewhere central like Athlone

No it wouldn't

Clinker

Our oul big solid radio had Home, Light and Athlone engraved on it. By moving the dial around on the outside - a small triangle would go along a wire inside(that is what it seemed like from the outside and nobody was going to take it apart to find out) and the nearer you could get to the middle of the particular engraving the better the signal and reception from that channel. Athlone was never as famous again after the radios changed.

clonadmad

Quote from: LCohen on October 28, 2020, 07:23:42 PM

No it wouldn't

You want Dungannon because I presume it's central for Ulster

Somewhere in the midlands would be central for the whole of Ireland

Where as best practice would suggest that both stadia need to be in a city location

I can't see a stadium in Dungannon attracting too many corporate events or concerts

Milltown Row2

The likes Slane, Punchestown and Thurles are well established.

Never did the trip to Tipp... The dander to Dungannon doesn't sound right

Silver hill

If the Ulster Council had adopted a smidgen of humility when dealing with the residents then the stadium would be built by now. They were also hindered by the arrogance of the employees tasked with overseeing the project with jealousy and backstabbing to the fore. (Both individuals were jockeying for Danny Murphy's job). Delusional; and as mentioned previously, one has left the organisation.
It's now a vanity project and to consider building a stadium of that size at a cost of min 100 million in current climate is grossly negligent. Something of a similar size and layout to Ravenhill is all that's required, c20k max. Look at what happened in Cork; what's the definition of madness, doing the same thing and expecting a different result?

LCohen

Quote from: clonadmad on October 29, 2020, 12:38:12 AM
Quote from: LCohen on October 28, 2020, 07:23:42 PM

No it wouldn't

You want Dungannon because I presume it's central for Ulster

Somewhere in the midlands would be central for the whole of Ireland

Where as best practice would suggest that both stadia need to be in a city location

I can't see a stadium in Dungannon attracting too many corporate events or concerts

Thank you for telling me what I want.

Consider this.

The Dungannon area is on the motorway with good links to key GAA areas. North Armagh, Armagh city, east Tyrone, South Derry and a chunk of Monaghan are on its doorstep. There are now good links heading west of Dungannon.

Most of the times the stadium is used that is where the crowd is coming from.

Antrim don't bring a crowd. North down doesn't bring a crowd.

That's is a key difference between Dublin and Athlone