Laois - Bits & Pieces

Started by Mossy Bruce, January 31, 2019, 10:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAA-SMART

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 27, 2019, 10:17:26 PM
Good news. Who is the "new lad"? Who else is involved with this team?

Mark Bates looking after the team, he is a nephew of Paddy Bates from Clonaslee but lives in Dublin. Think there is a lad Alan from stradbally, Patrick from Donegal, he is a teacher of one of my lads in portlaoise, there is a 4th not sure his name.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Thanks for that GAA-SMART, nice to know how our future stars are shaping up and how well they are being looked after.
Any idea where and when the final will be played??
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

GAA-SMART

I think August 17th is set.. OConnor park was the rumour

Mossy Bruce

Oldest Club Players

I was curious about the age of some of the oldest club players there in Laois--small ball or big ball. No need to mention names but I would like to know their ages and which code(s) they play. Thanks!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

The PRO

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on August 03, 2019, 12:36:41 AM
Oldest Club Players

I was curious about the age of some of the oldest club players there in Laois--small ball or big ball. No need to mention names but I would like to know their ages and which code(s) they play. Thanks!
Paudge Conway played senior football championship Wednesday night and I reckon he's 43. A fair achievement.
He will probably edge John Kealy, Danny Doogue, Noel Garvan and Chris Conway for the oldest player in the senior football.
Greg Ramsbottom played last year for Strad but not sure if he's playing this year. He'd be 42 this year.

Mossy Bruce

Thanks, PRO.

What about Intermediate and Junior divisions? Any lads in their late 40s or even 50s still out on the pitch?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

burdizzo

Certainly are! Junior is riddled with auld lads!

Mad Mentor

Neil Browne played Junior B for Rathdowney Errill last week. He has to be 57 at least. His 19 year old nephew Sean also played. Beat that.😀

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: burdizzo on August 03, 2019, 11:22:14 PM
Certainly are! Junior is riddled with auld lads!
Quote from: Mad Mentor on August 04, 2019, 12:09:45 AM
Neil Browne played Junior B for Rathdowney Errill last week. He has to be 57 at least. ....
This is what I was hoping to hear.
Awesome!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Jd

John O Connell played for courtwood's team in a recent div 1B league match a few weeks back v Mountmellick. He's definitely 50 at least. Played the 91 Leinster senior football final  so that's 28 years ago

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Jd on August 04, 2019, 02:23:44 PM
John O Connell played for courtwood's team in a recent div 1B league match a few weeks back v Mountmellick. He's definitely 50 at least. Played the 91 Leinster senior football final  so that's 28 years ago
He didn't. That was his younger brother Eamonn who's only 46! 😀
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

delgany

Would the Mangan Cup be an A grade  level competition ?
Ard there more than one grade ?

GAA-SMART

Generaly ranked the number 1 competition for U15 but in reality its on a par with the Brian Mc Lernon Cup. Youd have your top 20 or so teams in those two cups on paper.. but at 15 you might find a particulary good team in Clare or something, hard to know.. to be fair to these lads tho theyve played and beaten what has been put infront of them so far. I watched a few games so far and they are going well to be fair.. Kerry youd imagine be very good, looking at results aswell

Mossy Bruce

In the last couple of months, I've seen several Twitter bits and click-bait articles arguing over what that ash stick is called--a "hurl" or a "hurley." So what do you lads in Laois call it? I've always thought it was a "hurl."
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!