Football All Stars 2018

Started by thewobbler, July 25, 2018, 06:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manning18

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 02, 2018, 11:13:59 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on November 02, 2018, 10:44:42 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 02, 2018, 09:58:06 AM
Cluxton had a very bad spell during the first half of the 2017 All Ireland final, think Mayo won 5 of his kickouts.

Got rattled during the first half of the Galway game too, made a mistake for the goal and followed it straight up with a poor kickout where Galway should have scored a goal; Comer had his shot saved when he should have passed to Heaney who'd have had an open goal.

Shane Walsh is the player who's certainly the most hard done by, there's no way Ryan McHugh & Ian Burke deserved one ahead of him.

He did save the shot tho. He also saved a penalty during this time. I still think Beggan was the right choice tho

He did but just making the point he's had meltdowns too mainly the Kerry semi in 16 and the first half against Mayo in 17. You'd think he never makes a mistake according to some of the Dublin posters.

He didnt have a meltdown in 17 to be fair. Those lost kickouts were nearly all contested catches in midfield. You can't blame a keeper for his midfielders being beat. First half of Kerry Semi in 16, the drawn Mayo semi in 15 and the 3 min spell in the Galway semi are the only black marks in big games I can think of

Lar Naparka

Quote from: straightred on November 02, 2018, 10:07:03 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 01, 2018, 11:20:27 PM
Quote from: Schkite on November 01, 2018, 11:18:38 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 01, 2018, 11:14:20 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 01, 2018, 11:03:33 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on November 01, 2018, 10:28:50 PM
"What if I was to organise getting our own All Star Award made for Stephen Cluxton from us Dublin fans and present it to him to show how much us Dublin supporters appreciate him? Call it the Our Star Award or something?"

Post on Hill 16 Army. f**k sake lads he's not getting an all star just get over it, completely embarrassing at this stage.

It's so cringey it almost belongs on Willie Joe's blog.

Sorry but the difference between Cluxton and Mayo footballers is that when the pressure is applied on All Ireland final day he stands tall while Mayo players crumble or screw up.

It's farcical to think he hasn't won an All Star in 5 years. Beggan made 2 huge mistakes this year that cost Monaghan the games against Fermanagh & Tyrone but it appears because Cluxton is so consistent different standards are applied to him.

Between Cluctons omission, Cavanagh at full back and Howard at midfield the All Stars this year are a joke. Both Howard and Cavanagh deserved them, but the positions they were awarded for the All Star is farcical

Cluxton made a balls up in the semi final too, the difference is that he has such a brilliant team in front of him that those mistakes are irrelevant to the final result

But he didn't cost his team the game. Beggan did TWICE. Surely that should be a factor. Cluxton's excellence is being used against him. What more does he have do that he hasn't done over the last 5 years?

FFS he didn't cost them the Tyrone game... he made a bad decision and it very nearly turned into a close in free (if you remember the ref put his hand up and took it down again). He had a great season. So did Cluxton but not as good in the eyes of the voters. You need to get over it. All this attention is very unfair on Beggan who has done nothing wrong. He also has an important Ulster club game on Sunday and I'm sure he doesn't need all this noise. As many before me have said the injustice here on Cluxton is not this year but previous years when kerry and mayo goalies wrongly got awards ahead of him.
In Clarke's case at any rate, the fact that he was facing stronger teams throughout the championships than Clucko was. Mayo's kamikaze style of play ever since Horan took over in 2011 would be enough to melt the head oof a cabbage, never mind Clarke's.
He faced stiffer opposition in other words and acquitted himself well enough to earn his All-Star the hard way.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

trailer

I've read a lot about Cluxton. Having bad spells, others more deserving etc etc. The reason he didn't get one, is because he is non story, quiet, a dry shite, call him whatever you want. Journalist pick these all stars. Cluxton is utterly forgettable (just as he wants it). That's the reason, the only reason. Someone should write an article about that, but that would involve the truth and that's an uncomfortable place to start for voyeurs who look out but never in. Journalism! A bunch of spoofers!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: TheGreatest on November 02, 2018, 09:45:11 AM
Quote from: mup on November 02, 2018, 09:40:54 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on November 02, 2018, 08:34:12 AM
Hilarious stuff on here, I am sure Cluxton is more than happy with his 6th All Ireland medal. I hope he doesn't go.

Time for the Pen Pushers to be removed from the all star picks.

I bet that inside you are fuming.

Get over it.

I know you would like to think that but not really, haven't really paid attention to them since they became the Annual All Star Mayo sympathy awards. (Not this year though). Cluxton will go down as one of the greats, everyone who is not biased knows he is one of the greats, that's that.

I rather players winning all Irelands than All Stars.

Still obsessing over Mayo I see.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Halfquarter

"What if I was to organise getting our own All Star Award made for Stephen Cluxton from us Dublin fans and present it to him to show how much us Dublin supporters appreciate him? Call it the Our Star Award or something?"

Post on Hill 16 Army. f**k sake lads he's not getting an all star just get over it, completely embarrassing at this stage.

Sorry but the difference between Cluxton and Mayo footballers is that when the pressure is applied on All Ireland final day he stands tall while Mayo players crumble or screw up.

It's farcical to think he hasn't won an All Star in 5 years. Beggan made 2 huge mistakes this year that cost Monaghan the games against Fermanagh & Tyrone but it appears because Cluxton is so consistent different standards are applied to him.

Between Cluxtons omission, Cavanagh at full back and Howard at midfield the All Stars this year are a joke. Both Howard and Cavanagh deserved them, but the positions they were awarded for the All Star is farcical

Are you saying Cluxton doesn't panic when a high ball is hit in around the small square ? You must have been watching different matches to me !

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

TheGreatest

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 02, 2018, 11:54:29 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on November 02, 2018, 09:45:11 AM
Quote from: mup on November 02, 2018, 09:40:54 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on November 02, 2018, 08:34:12 AM
Hilarious stuff on here, I am sure Cluxton is more than happy with his 6th All Ireland medal. I hope he doesn't go.

Time for the Pen Pushers to be removed from the all star picks.

I bet that inside you are fuming.

Get over it.

I know you would like to think that but not really, haven't really paid attention to them since they became the Annual All Star Mayo sympathy awards. (Not this year though). Cluxton will go down as one of the greats, everyone who is not biased knows he is one of the greats, that's that.

I rather players winning all Irelands than All Stars.

Still obsessing over Mayo I see.

Come back to me when there are dozens of threads, pages and posts on them like there is on Dublin and Dublin players on this forum, now that's an obsession.

dublin7

Quote from: Halfquarter on November 02, 2018, 11:59:28 AM

Between Cluxtons omission, Cavanagh at full back and Howard at midfield the All Stars this year are a joke. Both Howard and Cavanagh deserved them, but the positions they were awarded for the All Star is farcical

Are you saying Cluxton doesn't panic when a high ball is hit in around the small square ? You must have been watching different matches to me !

I guess so, but don't feel bad about it!

I know in the All Ireland final this year he was almost flawless. Dublin only lost 2 kick outs all day and one of those was a mistake by John Small.  His kickout to McCaffrey when Tyrone were 4 points up was pure class and settled Dubs down when they were struggling to settle into the game.

To me a top player is one who does it on the big occasion when the pressure is on.Cluxtion has been doing that for years. It's a testament to his quality that when one of kick outs goes wrong or out of play a huge cheer goes up from the opposition crowd as if they'd scored a point. You don't see that with any other teams.  He has had spells in games were teams put him under pressure, but he always figures out a way to deal with it. All Star selectors might not respect him, but at least his teammates and Dublin fans do and I'm sure he'd rather have his All Ireland medals to All Star awards. I'd wonder will he even go to the awards tonight given his dislike for the spotlight

dublin7

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on November 02, 2018, 12:05:41 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L9IVDtantEg

Last few minutes of this game

Who was playing midfield at the end of that game for Dublin. McCauley, Bastick and Fenton had all been replaced at that stage. Tomas Brady was playing midfield at that stage!! Not alot he can do when that's who he has to aim at.

Gold

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 02, 2018, 09:58:06 AM
Cluxton had a very bad spell during the first half of the 2017 All Ireland final, think Mayo won 5 of his kickouts.

Got rattled during the first half of the Galway game too, made a mistake for the goal and followed it straight up with a poor kickout where Galway should have scored a goal; Comer had his shot saved when he should have passed to Heaney who'd have had an open goal.

Shane Walsh is the player who's certainly the most hard done by, there's no way Ryan McHugh & Ian Burke deserved one ahead of him.

Disagree re Walsh...Comer is thee most hard done by...could not be dealt with by any defender all year. Caused havoc v Dublin...Philly and Cooper couldn't cope with him. If Galway fecking gave him more of the ball there may have been an upset.

Re Cluxton I actually think he gets absolutely rattled when the Dubs go behind...every time they're behind he kicks kickouts over the sidelines. He is human and not unflappable. Cluxton's kickouts are generally good (although in the AI final nearly all short and easy) and he saved a weak penalty v Galway (after Comer of course got fouled..and then Galway stopped kicking it in to him *after a goal and a penalty...work that out*

I saw Cluxton live in League this year v  Kerry and Galway. Saw him live in Championship v Longford (got injured) and Galway. Other than the poor penalty save I wasn't ever overly impressed with him as i'm sure everyone on this board was with Beggan. He was generally steady and unchallenged in games the Dubs won at a canter.

I'm not a Cluxton basher...his frees and then kickouts have changed the game. He  ensures the Dubs keep possession...I just think there were more impressive keepers this year

The Laois Keeper was absolutely fantastic this year. Saw him v Carlow and Dublin Live in Croker and he was superb (saving and running out the field)
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Cunny Funt

Don't think Comer was hard done by as he played his best football during the NFL and looked to be running on empty for the championship. He was average at best in the Connacht final, Burke and Walsh was far better than him in that final. 0-5 in 3 super 8 games was hardly causing havoc either and the goal he scored v Dublin was a Cluxton error and his point was a fluke.

Gold

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 02, 2018, 02:10:34 PM
Don't think Comer was hard done by as he played his best football during the NFL and looked to be running on empty for the championship. He was average at best in the Connacht final, Burke and Walsh was far better than him in that final. 0-5 in 3 super 8 games was hardly causing havoc either and the goal he scored v Dublin was a Cluxton error and his point was a fluke.

Saw him live in League final and then Championship v Dublin

EVERY time he had the ball in his hands there was danger. He was the only player physically powerful enough to go past Dubs

League final last 10 mins Galway shat themselves out the field and refused to kick the ball into Comer.
Championship once Galway missed the pen they went into a shell and refused to kick him the ball. He causes mistakes as due to his sheer power people are frightened of him.
Was good to see the Dubs couldn't bully him as they did others

I wrote before on the 2 match threads that had Galway kicked him the ball constantly they may have won. If it was me over the team we would sicken Comer with ball, early ball. Anyone didn't do it and took a solo and handpassed sideways would be off
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Syferus

Comer's good but a bit of power wasn't going to bring Galway into serious contention with Dublin.

GalwayBayBoy

Comer probably troubled the Dublin defence more than any other player this year. Had them in all sorts of bother in the league final for a while and again for a shorter while in the AI semi final. The thing is these periods have probably not been sustained enough for him to get an All-Star. Whether this is Comer's fault or the fault of Galway for not feeding enough ball into him is up for debate. But if you were giving one All-Star to Galway I would probably have him behind Walsh and Burke in that order.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 02, 2018, 03:28:45 PM
Comer probably troubled the Dublin defence more than any other player this year. Had them in all sorts of bother in the league final for a while and again for a shorter while in the AI semi final. The thing is these periods have probably not been sustained enough for him to get an All-Star. Whether this is Comer's fault or the fault of Galway for not feeding enough ball into him is up for debate. But if you were giving one All-Star to Galway I would probably have him behind Walsh and Burke in that order.

A mixture of not getting enough ball into him and been double marked. Comer still has a little bit to learn mainly improving his movement and moving the ball on to a team mate in a better place.