Kilkenny

Started by seafoid, May 04, 2016, 04:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avondhu star

Quote from: orangeman on December 02, 2016, 12:49:12 PM
Eoin Larkin retires: 'I am content to walk away knowing I gave everything I could'

" It was always my dream from a young age to play, captain and win an All-Ireland with Kilkenny and I'm proud and happy to say I lived my dream. I am content to walk away now knowing I gave everything I could for myself but also the team every time I walked out on the training pitch or pulled on a Kilkenny jersey and left no stone unturned in the pursuit of perfection, although I never got close. I've played with and against some of the best players of all time and had the privilege of working with the best manager of all time for those years.

"Doing what I loved doing for twelve years didn't seem like a sacrifice but although they never said anything I know for a fact my family sacrificed a massive amount for me to fulfil my dream."

Says it all really.

Eoin was part of an all conquering team. A class act.

"A class act" maybe on the pitch but he was quick to stick the knife in to Kilkenny after the defeat yesterday. Thats not the Kilkenny way. As a Corkman I know what can happen when former players turn Turk. Brian Cody doesnt owe anyone anything and he will fix Kilkenny in his own good time ( thats if they need fixing after losing two league games)
You dont see Shefflin JJ Delaney or Jackie Tyrell laying into Kilkenny.

Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Ash Smoker

Quote from: Avondhu star on February 20, 2017, 12:39:13 PM
Quote from: orangeman on December 02, 2016, 12:49:12 PM
Eoin Larkin retires: 'I am content to walk away knowing I gave everything I could'

" It was always my dream from a young age to play, captain and win an All-Ireland with Kilkenny and I'm proud and happy to say I lived my dream. I am content to walk away now knowing I gave everything I could for myself but also the team every time I walked out on the training pitch or pulled on a Kilkenny jersey and left no stone unturned in the pursuit of perfection, although I never got close. I've played with and against some of the best players of all time and had the privilege of working with the best manager of all time for those years.

"Doing what I loved doing for twelve years didn't seem like a sacrifice but although they never said anything I know for a fact my family sacrificed a massive amount for me to fulfil my dream."

Says it all really.

Eoin was part of an all conquering team. A class act.

"A class act" maybe on the pitch but he was quick to stick the knife in to Kilkenny after the defeat yesterday. Thats not the Kilkenny way. As a Corkman I know what can happen when former players turn Turk. Brian Cody doesnt owe anyone anything and he will fix Kilkenny in his own good time ( thats if they need fixing after losing two league games)
You dont see Shefflin JJ Delaney or Jackie Tyrell laying into Kilkenny.

I agree, it's easy for former players to start taking pot shots when their own playing legacy has been set in stone.

johnneycool

Quote from: north aontroim gael on February 20, 2017, 11:35:09 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 20, 2017, 11:15:16 AM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 20, 2017, 10:34:05 AM
Early days, but Cody has an uphill struggle to squeeze success out of the current crop.
The last couple of All Irelands he won were helped by the chasing pack being in various states of disorganisation.
Tipp and Waterford definitely have their houses in better order now and Clare might get back up near the summit this year.
Like all great teams the cats had a psychological hold over teams that hadn't won in a while, especially in the last 10 minutes. Cody had his own version of Fergie time. But it's very hard to keep the show going when a really great team runs out of time . 11 all Irelands is outrageous.

Cody is a large part of the success laden years Kilkenny had but he was also fortunate to have players like JJ Delaney, Henry Shefflin, Tommy Walsh, Eoin Larkin, Noel Hickey, Richie Power, Eddie Brennan etc. The first three named are, in my opinion, among the best hurlers we will ever see play the game.

So yes Brian Cody is a genius but he was helped enormously by a true golden era of talent in the KK ranks. They don't have that depth of talent now so it will be interesting to see how they fare in the next 3-5 years.

You gotta remember that these lads were going through underage setups when the Kilkenny seniors were no big shakes and there seems to be a ferocious hunger that drove them on to be the hurlers they turned out to be.

You don't see that hunger in the new crop, no hardy leaders to take the battle to the opposition when things are tough.

The Fennellys will make a bit of a difference, but there's a lot of questions to be asked of the replacements and it remains to be seen if they're up for it come summer time.

All the same its been great to see such a team and individuals in their pomp.

Avondhu star

Quote from: johnneycool on February 20, 2017, 02:02:01 PM
Early days, but Cody has an uphill struggle to squeeze success out of the current crop.
The last couple of All Irelands he won were helped by the chasing pack being in various states of disorganisation.
Tipp and Waterford definitely have their houses in better order now and Clare might get back up near the summit this year.
Like all great teams the cats had a psychological hold over teams that hadn't won in a while, especially in the last 10 minutes. Cody had his own version of Fergie time. But it's very hard to keep the show going when a really great team runs out of time . 11 all Irelands is outrageous.

Cody is a large part of the success laden years Kilkenny had but he was also fortunate to have players like JJ Delaney, Henry Shefflin, Tommy Walsh, Eoin Larkin, Noel Hickey, Richie Power, Eddie Brennan etc. The first three named are, in my opinion, among the best hurlers we will ever see play the game.

So yes Brian Cody is a genius but he was helped enormously by a true golden era of talent in the KK ranks. They don't have that depth of talent now so it will be interesting to see how they fare in the next 3-5 years.

You gotta remember that these lads were going through underage setups when the Kilkenny seniors were no big shakes and there seems to be a ferocious hunger that drove them on to be the hurlers they turned out to be.

You don't see that hunger in the new crop, no hardy leaders to take the battle to the opposition when things are tough.

The Fennellys will make a bit of a difference, but there's a lot of questions to be asked of the replacements and it remains to be seen if they're up for it come summer time.

I noticed in the All Ireland last year when Tipp began to turn the screw that Cody looked at the bench for a while and then turned away so much as to say"theres not much there to help me"
It would be a lot to expect a county to be turning out the likes of Shefflin Brennan Walsh Tyrell yeat in year out. The class player will hold his place for a number of years and this can discourage players on the extended panel or those outside the panel who cant see how to break through.
It happened in Kerry after 1986 and as a result Meath Cork and the Ulster boys got in there and were a match for Kerry

seafoid

It has but they could have wound it up around 2007
When they win in September now it is so banal.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: seafoid on February 28, 2017, 07:43:10 PM

It has but they could have wound it up around 2007
When they win in September now it is so banal.
don't worry, soon they'll be winning in August

manfromdelmonte

Cork were so bad today, Kilkenny didn't need to play well.
Power hurling alive and well.
Run straight into your opponent and take 7/8 steps
They did put together some nice interchanges of passes

Cork were clueless. 
Stick work and shooting was terrible. 

Avondhu star

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 05, 2017, 03:38:05 PM
Cork were so bad today, Kilkenny didn't need to play well.
Power hurling alive and well.
Run straight into your opponent and take 7/8 steps
They did put together some nice interchanges of passes

Cork were clueless. 
Stick work and shooting was terrible.

Poor stick work, running straight in to trouble when in possession, no idea of passing or finding a loose man.
Murphy always a good bet for a yellow or red

Milltown Row2

Fennelly made the difference for Kilkenny today created more opportunities for goals (which again didn't happen) won a lot of balls and his running game and lay offs where the good to see from a Kilkenny perspective... yes there is a lot mistakes still but then a lot of teams this time of year are doing that...

Not contenders at this stage, but certainly after the last couple games a vast improvement, people saying how poor Cork were but I was impressed with a few of their players and how they found their men with neat short build up play, not fit enough for me at minute and they don't have a good enough panel
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 05, 2017, 08:23:14 PM
Fennelly made the difference for Kilkenny today created more opportunities for goals (which again didn't happen) won a lot of balls and his running game and lay offs where the good to see from a Kilkenny perspective... yes there is a lot mistakes still but then a lot of teams this time of year are doing that...

Not contenders at this stage, but certainly after the last couple games a vast improvement, people saying how poor Cork were but I was impressed with a few of their players and how they found their men with neat short build up play, not fit enough for me at minute and they don't have a good enough panel

Cork have a decent set of forwards in Lehane, Horgan and Cadogan, but can't defend for toffee individually or collectively and will concede big numbers come championship.

Milltown Row2

Some effort by Kilkenny tonight !!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

orangeman

Incredible entertainment. A draw a fair result. Some of the score taking by both teams, Tipp in particular was breathtaking.

MoChara

I found it strange that the commentators were talking before the match about Tipp as this unstoppable Juggarnaut, only last year everyone was talking saying it about Kilkenny, I thought it a little premature for that chat regarding Tipp, Kilkenny had well earned it over seasons.

manfromdelmonte

that game will bring on Tipp more than Kilkenny

they had been coasting through their other games

Bud Wiser

That passage of hurling that went on for about six minutes will be a good memory for many who had the privilege to be in Semple last night.   
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"