Kilkenny

Started by seafoid, May 04, 2016, 04:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

We're in Tipp, we're right on the border. He used to play with us when he was u6 through to u16, then his family moved to Limerick. He played with a club in Limerick for a couple of years, and then moved back to Newport and transferred back to us. But he didn't put in for an inter county transfer when he came back to us.

ashman

Similar happened in 2007 minors .  Two lads from Doon club lined out for Lk and Tipp in a game .  I think the Tipp lad was a sub .  Doon parish has a small sliver of land in Tipp .

Happens a bit in Ballydeamond on Cork / Kerry border too .  Parish play in cork but a bit in Kerry .   

AZOffaly

Quote from: ashman on September 01, 2016, 04:17:14 PM
Similar happened in 2007 minors .  Two lads from Doon club lined out for Lk and Tipp in a game .  I think the Tipp lad was a sub .  Doon parish has a small sliver of land in Tipp .

Happens a bit in Ballydeamond on Cork / Kerry border too .  Parish play in cork but a bit in Kerry .

I remember a Munster Junior final where two lads from Ballydesmond were marking each other. But I'm still thinking an All Ireland final must be rare. They play midfield together for the club :)

macdanger2

Quote from: seafoid on September 01, 2016, 01:49:49 PM
This is the 6th K/T final since 09

Apparently KK's 16th final in the last 19

manfromdelmonte

Henry praising the semi final referees for letting the game flow

Or, allowing players get away with a lot of stuff

seafoid

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/does-he-think-he-is-indispensable-to-kilkenny-ger-loughnane-on-why-brian-cody-should-have-walked-away-35256585.html

Over the past 18 years, Cody has led the Cats to 11 All-Ireland titles, 15 Leinster crowns and has won the National League on eight occasions.
Loughnane argues that Cody should have resigned this year to give his predecessor something to build with for the future.
He also says that Cody was right to retain his backroom team but he should not have kept hold of the reins.
"Who would he get that that would be better than  Mick Dempsey, Derek Lyng and James McGarry? No, he was right to retain his backroom team.
"The mistake is in staying on himself.
""Not only is he the greatest hurling manager of all time, but you could make a strong case for Cody being the greatest hurling personality of all.
"Does he now think that he's indispensable to Kilkenny, that he owns the job?"
Loughnane claims the quartet of Richie Hogan, TJ Reid, Paul Murphy and Michael Fennelly are getting on and without them, the person charged with replacing Cody would not have a chance.
"This is the mistake the other two great long-serving managers in the GAA, Mick O'Dwyer and Sean Boylan, made at the tail-end of their careers.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

longballin

Bit early to say that about Cody as he got to this year's final and won last year... not like a few years going nowhere. Mickey Harte looks like he'll hang on forever though.

Bord na Mona man

It all depends what motivates Cody. If he wanted to preserve his legacy, then now would be the optimum time to walk. He obviously thinks he's the best man rebuild the team, even though the material coming through isn't what it used to be.

seafoid

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on December 01, 2016, 01:04:39 PM
It all depends what motivates Cody. If he wanted to preserve his legacy, then now would be the optimum time to walk. He obviously thinks he's the best man rebuild the team, even though the material coming through isn't what it used to be.

I think Gerlock is right. Knowing when to go is very hard. Fergie couldn't do it either
Thankfully Galway have never had that problem ;) 

theskull1

Jackie Tyrell on twitter

"The most underrated & selfless player @11larky with unbelievable skills, the retirement home is filling up nicely now, be some over 40s team"

Who TF ever underrated Eoin Larkin?  :o
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Eoin Larkin retires: 'I am content to walk away knowing I gave everything I could'

" It was always my dream from a young age to play, captain and win an All-Ireland with Kilkenny and I'm proud and happy to say I lived my dream. I am content to walk away now knowing I gave everything I could for myself but also the team every time I walked out on the training pitch or pulled on a Kilkenny jersey and left no stone unturned in the pursuit of perfection, although I never got close. I've played with and against some of the best players of all time and had the privilege of working with the best manager of all time for those years.

"Doing what I loved doing for twelve years didn't seem like a sacrifice but although they never said anything I know for a fact my family sacrificed a massive amount for me to fulfil my dream."

Says it all really.

Eoin was part of an all conquering team. A class act.

Bord na Mona man

Early days, but Cody has an uphill struggle to squeeze success out of the current crop.
The last couple of All Irelands he won were helped by the chasing pack being in various states of disorganisation.
Tipp and Waterford definitely have their houses in better order now and Clare might get back up near the summit this year.

seafoid

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 20, 2017, 10:34:05 AM
Early days, but Cody has an uphill struggle to squeeze success out of the current crop.
The last couple of All Irelands he won were helped by the chasing pack being in various states of disorganisation.
Tipp and Waterford definitely have their houses in better order now and Clare might get back up near the summit this year.
Like all great teams the cats had a psychological hold over teams that hadn't won in a while, especially in the last 10 minutes. Cody had his own version of Fergie time. But it's very hard to keep the show going when a really great team runs out of time . 11 all Irelands is outrageous.

north aontroim gael

Quote from: seafoid on February 20, 2017, 11:15:16 AM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 20, 2017, 10:34:05 AM
Like all great teams the cats had a psychological hold over teams that hadn't won in a while, especially in the last 10 minutes. Cody had his own version of Fergie time. But it's very hard to keep the show going when a really great team runs out of time . 11 all Irelands is outrageous.

Cody is a large part of the success laden years Kilkenny had but he was also fortunate to have players like JJ Delaney, Henry Shefflin, Tommy Walsh, Eoin Larkin, Noel Hickey, Richie Power, Eddie Brennan etc. The first three named are, in my opinion, among the best hurlers we will ever see play the game.

So yes Brian Cody is a genius but he was helped enormously by a true golden era of talent in the KK ranks. They don't have that depth of talent now so it will be interesting to see how they fare in the next 3-5 years.