Kilkenny

Started by seafoid, May 04, 2016, 04:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on January 20, 2021, 09:49:53 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 20, 2021, 09:44:42 AM
Fennelly still has a lot to offer. I dunno if I've ever seen anyone as strong play the game. Some of those goals he was getting for Ballyhale last year he was brushing aside big big men like they were wee kids.

I have read there are some not happy with Cody(players). Hard to know whether just internet rumour though.

DJ also left the coaching set up after one year which normally doesn't happen in Kilkenny, maybe reading too much into that, but as said before I think Kilkenny are struggling with how hurling has evolved both sides of the white line.

Though the club teams (Ballyhale) still dominate, they need to find the right blend that sticks to the the Kilkenny way and bring it to the Limerick level also.. Very hard to do, as this is a work in motion for Limerick which will get better, and a change of styles for Kilkenny, should they try and adopt. 

They won't be out of it too long though, still Leinster champions!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 20, 2021, 04:54:37 PM
Fennelly still has a lot to offer. I dunno if I've ever seen anyone as strong play the game. Some of those goals he was getting for Ballyhale last year he was brushing aside big big men like they were wee kids.

I have read there are some not happy with Cody(players). Hard to know whether just internet rumour though.

DJ also left the coaching set up after one year which normally doesn't happen in Kilkenny, maybe reading too much into that, but as said before I think Kilkenny are struggling with how hurling has evolved both sides of the white line.

Though the club teams (Ballyhale) still dominate, they need to find the right blend that sticks to the the Kilkenny way and bring it to the Limerick level also.. Very hard to do, as this is a work in motion for Limerick which will get better, and a change of styles for Kilkenny, should they try and adopt. 

Explain this.

I here statements like this all the time e.g. the Down way, the Liverpool way but wtf does it mean.

It means nothing really.

imtommygunn

Bally hale have tj Reid, the fennelly's, Cody, that other wee half forward who's name I can't remember and Holden at the back too. They are pretty much half a county team then some Reid brothers etc thrown in. I think it's just an exceptional club team so not even sure it means that much on the standard of kk hurling.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on January 20, 2021, 05:43:42 PM

Explain this.

I here statements like this all the time e.g. the Down way, the Liverpool way but wtf does it mean.

It means nothing really.

Teams have traditional styles, Cork used to have the running game with the O'Connors
Waterford had the individual styles of McGrath and co.
Clare team of the 90's had robustness with Daly Baker and co
Galway dog the 80's had the flamboyant halfback lines Finitery and co but the toughness of Lynskey
Kilkenny have Cody, he has not changed his style since starting, big physical players in most positions and marquee forwards, DJ, Shefflin, Hogan and TJ, never played a system and cleared defence with ball raining down on the forwards and they fought and win their own balls..

Obviously these styles change with managers but Cody's been there so long that it will take time to change.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 20, 2021, 06:30:41 PM

Bally hale have tj Reid, the fennelly's, Cody, that other wee half forward who's name I can't remember and Holden at the back too. They are pretty much half a county team then some Reid brothers etc thrown in. I think it's just an exceptional club team so not even sure it means that much on the standard of kk hurling.

They have a great team but during the season they get tough games, the Village should have beaten them last year if memory serves me right, Cheddar had them going well, that's two top notch teams, then you have the rest!

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 20, 2021, 07:12:15 PM
Quote from: marty34 on January 20, 2021, 05:43:42 PM

Explain this.

It means nothing really.

Teams have traditional styles, Cork used to have the running game with the O'Connors
Waterford had the individual styles of McGrath and co.
Clare team of the 90's had robustness with Daly Baker and co
Galway dog the 80's had the flamboyant halfback lines Finitery and co but the toughness of Lynskey
Kilkenny have Cody, he has not changed his style since starting, big physical players in most positions and marquee forwards, DJ, Shefflin, Hogan and TJ, never played a system and cleared defence with ball raining down on the forwards and they fought and win their own balls..

Obviously these styles change with managers but Cody's been there so long that it will take time to change.

From the Irish Times

"Once Limerick shut down the things that made Waterford dangerous, they proceeded to overpower them in the middle third. They were physically dominant which made the game a nightmare mentally for the Waterford players. Imagine it – you're in an All-Ireland final, you can't win ball in the air, you can't get your runners going through and you're being pushed around the place in the physical exchanges. It's very difficult to keep your head up and keep fighting the good fight in those circumstances.
Limerick's championship record in 2020 is Played: 5, Won: 5, For: 3-141, Against: 3-104. That's an average winning margin of 7.4 points per game. They have beaten teams in the trenches, in the physicality stakes, in shootouts, in monsoons and they have beaten teams tactically. It's a case of pick your poison when you meet this Limerick team. They will take you on whatever way you want. There's no style of game they feel uncomfortable playing."

The old KK would strangle the forwards with superior stickwork and workrate.
Limerick have stickwork and workrate plus physicality
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/irish-rugby-is-the-latest-example-of-how-new-isn-t-always-better-1.4490909

There are obvious parallels to what's happening in Kilkenny hurling right now. In the absence of action focus has turned to what once would have been unthinkable – speculation about Brian Cody's position as manager.
The teacher with 22 years in charge under his belt – and 11 All-Ireland titles – is peerless in terms of success. Yet his ratification for another year was accompanied by grumbling about a new voice being required to freshen up the Cats.
They might not be as brazen about it as Kerry in football but five years without an All-Ireland has provoked Kilkenny's sense of hurling entitlement.
No matter that the county hasn't won a minor All-Ireland since 2014, or an under-21 or under-20 crown in a dozen years, it appears the presumption is the players are good enough if they wear black and amber and so a shake-up is needed at the top.
The game has evolved, moved on, left Cody behind in terms of structures, conditioning and machines that go 'ping.' The man who has fearsomely strode the sideline for decades might even have simply got lucky with the players at his disposal before.
It's neat and topical and panders to that instinct for the new. It also makes a virtue of change for its own sake.
There's nothing original in pointing out how newness is no virtue and oldness is no vice. Yet almost invariably the reaction in sport is to ditch the wily old bird in the hand for the promise of what might be in the bush.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

macker15

Coady is the greatest manager of all time. No sweeper. Just good old fashioned win your 50/50 battles.  His teams always played hard but fair.

Milltown Row2

Katie Nolan for Camogs is a wee dynamo, all over that 3/4 line linking up play and taking some cracking scores

clonadmad

Copied and pasted this from another site

some good points made

💥 Black and Amber on What needs to change in Kilkenny 💥

https://thepremierviewpodcast.com/the-cody-conundrum

burdizzo

As that piece acknowledged, Cody is still getting them titles - albeit not all-Irelands.

But the bigger question is - are any of the 'obvious successors' willing to take it on just yet, given that there isn't an over-abundance of talent there to get them those all-Irelands?

clonadmad

Quote from: burdizzo on September 23, 2021, 10:23:26 PM
As that piece acknowledged, Cody is still getting them titles - albeit not all-Irelands.

But the bigger question is - are any of the 'obvious successors' willing to take it on just yet, given that there isn't an over-abundance of talent there to get them those all-Irelands?

Good Point

Who's going to be the Kilkenny Frank O'Farrell when the great man eventually does call it a day

johnnycool

Quote from: clonadmad on September 24, 2021, 07:42:58 AM

Good Point

Who's going to be the Kilkenny Frank O'Farrell when the great man eventually does call it a day

Davy Fitz will sit this year out in the hope of landing the big one..

keep her low this half

Quote from: clonadmad on September 24, 2021, 07:42:58 AM

Good Point

Eddie Brennan, did well with Laois
Michael Fennelly doing well with Offaly
Henry Shefflin, resting after 2 All-Irelands with Ballyhale
Kilkenny won't be short of potential leaders.
If you are willing to try and win things with Laois and Offaly then Kilkenny will be an attractive prospect.

imtommygunn

Is Shefflin not in charge of some lower down club now? I thought I saw him on the sideline on some of those TG4 games.