Started by Upandover, October 04, 2022, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Saffrongael on October 04, 2022, 04:30:25 PM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport-columnists-gaa/arid-40365266.html

PM O'Sullivan: Why ciotóg Cian Lynch's uncommon hurling grip gives him an edge

He's not cack handed though

Milltown Row2

He'll change eventually a lot of kids starting out will be unsure which way to hold it but as long as he's enjoying it he'll cop on and eventually get it..

Players constantly adapt as they get older when watching their friends. When we were kids we'd dander up to casement and watch the county team training, watching their wee tricks and skills.. just keep the hurl in his hand all the time!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Lynch is a natural left hander with the dominant hand on top and it's not uncommon for lads of both orientations to strike across the body.

johnnycool

Quote from: Saffrongael on October 04, 2022, 04:34:45 PM
I honestly don't think it's as big a deal as some of you, as long as you develop the left side well. Perceived wisdom is your left side will be weaker but I'm not sure it has to be that way if you work at it.

DJ Carey reckoned it was down to personal preference

Depends on the level you want to get to.

The ability to seamlessly strike off both sides is a must at the highest level, I've yet to see a cack hander strike crisply with a stroke outside their body and I most definitely include Wally Walsh in that.

Paudie Butler is big into the grip and swing for kids if you ever get a conversation with him.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on October 05, 2022, 09:43:41 AM

Lynch is a natural left hander with the dominant hand on top and it's not uncommon for lads of both orientations to strike across the body.

Yep agreed- not cack handed

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on October 05, 2022, 09:47:09 AM
I honestly don't think it's as big a deal as some of you, as long as you develop the left side well. Perceived wisdom is your left side will be weaker but I'm not sure it has to be that way if you work at it.

The ability to seamlessly strike off both sides is a must at the highest level, I've yet to see a cack hander strike crisply with a stroke outside their body and I most definitely include Wally Walsh in that.

Paudie Butler is big into the grip and swing for kids if you ever get a conversation with him.

I just thought he was amazing-he really thought about what it was like to be inside a childs head when starting out- the best coach I have seen

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 05, 2022, 10:13:06 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 05, 2022, 09:47:09 AM

I just thought he was amazing-he really thought about what it was like to be inside a childs head when starting out- the best coach I have seen

He's different level with kids, but I suppose that comes from being a school teacher and with hurling he's a total fanatic but not overly condescending to us Nordies, although he did give out about the big, ignorant Nordie swing.

"You need to be able to get a shot off in a phone box" was his mantra at one of the sessions he took that I was at.

Best coach i've ever listened to in terms of the skills of the game closely followed by Eamon O'Shea who was more interested in creating chaos during training sessions than drills with cones everywhere.

burdizzo

We had a lad in our club who, at u8s, was probably our best player. However, he was cack-handed, and couldn't be told. What's more, his father told us not to be onto him about it, or he'd give it up altogether. We left it so, and every year it came against him more and more - so much so, that now he's finished at minor and is going to give it up altogether.
Heard one of the Waterford lads - hardly Austin Gleeson, was it? - was cack-handed until 17 or18, and then changed grip and never looked back...

Upandover

So....... Any aids to combat rather than constantly reminding him?
Dont want to constantly be on his case, kids think youre  criticising them if ya try to correct them all the time.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Upandover on October 05, 2022, 01:44:32 PM
Dont want to constantly be on his case, kids think youre  criticising them if ya try to correct them all the time.

The tape might work(to mark the stick) or if you could come up with something to secure dominant hand-tell him he is class the whole time. "Look thats brilliant, you could be even better if you done this" and repeated with "brilliant, best I have seen all day

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 05, 2022, 02:15:53 PM

The tape might work(to mark the stick) or if you could come up with something to secure dominant hand-tell him he is class the whole time. "Look thats brilliant, you could be even better if you done this" and repeated with "brilliant, best I have seen all day

I generally find money focuses your kids mind.. If you play the match with the correct hand in position we will go to We are Vertigo.. Or McD's or a tenner ;D  If they are under 12 let them try and work it out for themselves
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

burdizzo

One of the coaches in our club had a 'yoke' - sort of like a glove - attached to the top of the hurl, so the young lad could only hold it one way. As I said, though, the chap in question knew better than us and wouldn't use it. I think it was a home-made job, this 'yoke'...