AI minor football championship

Started by GalwayBayBoy, July 16, 2017, 06:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakleaflad

Quote from: Rossfan on September 25, 2017, 03:25:13 PM
No good minors in Connacht it seems! !
There was a lad Red Óg Murphy from Sligo that kicked 11 points against Derry. He was very good

thejuice

Nice to have some interest in this stage of the minor competition after long drought.  This weekends games:

Quarter-Finals
Monaghan v Kildare, Cusack Park, Mullingar, 3pm
Meath v Derry, Athletic Grounds, Armagh, 3pm

How did Derry get on in Ulster? We had a relatively easy run through Leinster though beating Dublin and Kildare on the way.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Walter Cronc

Quote from: thejuice on July 25, 2018, 10:55:22 AM
Nice to have some interest in this stage of the minor competition after long drought.  This weekends games:

Quarter-Finals
Monaghan v Kildare, Cusack Park, Mullingar, 3pm
Meath v Derry, Athletic Grounds, Armagh, 3pm

How did Derry get on in Ulster? We had a relatively easy run through Leinster though beating Dublin and Kildare on the way.

We beat Monaghan in the preliminary round then lost to Cavan in the first round after ET. Then in the back door we beat Armagh, Fermanagh and Tyrone. Monaghan beat us by 3 in the Ulster final. We've done well to reach this stage as it would be considered a young side.

Rossfan

Ros v Kerry in feckin Limerick Saturday.
Galway v Clare in Tullamore Sunday I think.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Boycey

With no betting odds on minors anymore it's hard to get a sense of who's the fancied teams, I know with Monaghan and Derry both lost in Ulster and Kerry are going for 5 in a row but that's about it.

tippabu

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2018, 11:08:20 AM

Where would have been a better venue? Ennis or thurles the only other two which might have similar travelling distances? I've not looked this up and maybe am showing off terrible geography!!

Dinny Breen

Leinster had one very dominant team this year, Meath. Kildare were fortunate to find themselves in the weak group in Leinster.

Meath are a big side but not overly physical, they're not the most impressive minor side that I have seen such as Dublin 2012, Mayo/Ros in 2013, Kerry 2014 -16,  although a year behind those teams in their development. Still will be a good side to beat them.

Kildare are very sharp at the break and when they ran at Meath caused lots of problems and fouls, just couldn't get ball against Meath's dominate midfield. It was also their 3rd week in a row out including an extra 20 mins and looked flat. I suspect they will be fresher this week and will give Monaghan a rattle. A semi-final would be great achievement for that group.

#newbridgeornowhere

Cunny Funt

Quote from: tippabu on July 25, 2018, 11:32:50 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2018, 11:08:20 AM

Where would have been a better venue? Ennis or thurles the only other two which might have similar travelling distances? I've not looked this up and maybe am showing off terrible geography!!

Would have made more sense to have those two games in one venue as part of a double header. Not counting games that are set for Croke Park out of interest when did Kerry last play one of these underage games outside of Munster?

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 25, 2018, 12:11:18 PM
Leinster had one very dominant team this year, Meath. Kildare were fortunate to find themselves in the weak group in Leinster.

Meath are a big side but not overly physical, they're not the most impressive minor side that I have seen such as Dublin 2012, Mayo/Ros in 2013, Kerry 2014 -16,  although a year behind those teams in their development. Still will be a good side to beat them.

Kildare are very sharp at the break and when they ran at Meath caused lots of problems and fouls, just couldn't get ball against Meath's dominate midfield. It was also their 3rd week in a row out including an extra 20 mins and looked flat. I suspect they will be fresher this week and will give Monaghan a rattle. A semi-final would be great achievement for that group.

No talk on burn out there or did i miss it? that's too much for group of U17s best to judge this Kildare team when they have a break between games i.e this weekend and aren't Monaghan managed by Banty?

Hound

Is the semi drawn known? Will the winners of the two Leinster/Ulster matches play each other ?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Hound on July 25, 2018, 01:30:37 PM
Is the semi drawn known? Will the winners of the two Leinster/Ulster matches play each other ?
Semi finals are as follows
Kildare/Monaghan v Kerry/Roscommon
Meath/Derry v Galway/Clare

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Mourne Red on July 25, 2018, 01:30:01 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 25, 2018, 01:18:36 PM
Are Derry any use?

Was at a couple of their games in Ulster - They are ok, wouldn't be the best they were 8 points down against Down in the Ulster Semi but Down went down to 14. Down through it away that day and against Armagh they were comfortable. Play a lot through there Number 8, launch a lot of high balls in and he goes into the square to field. Then corner forwards nip around to win break ball and get there scores that way.

Haven't seen what Meath are like but suppose you need to be good to beat the dubs. Should get past them.

Are you confusing the minors and U20s Mourne Red?

Mourne Red

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 25, 2018, 01:35:29 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on July 25, 2018, 01:30:01 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 25, 2018, 01:18:36 PM
Are Derry any use?

Was at a couple of their games in Ulster - They are ok, wouldn't be the best they were 8 points down against Down in the Ulster Semi but Down went down to 14. Down through it away that day and against Armagh they were comfortable. Play a lot through there Number 8, launch a lot of high balls in and he goes into the square to field. Then corner forwards nip around to win break ball and get there scores that way.

Haven't seen what Meath are like but suppose you need to be good to beat the dubs. Should get past them.

Are you confusing the minors and U20s Mourne Red?

I am indeed ignore my post

Main Street

Monaghan have Banty, on the comeback trail.