next Taoiseach?

Started by heganboy, February 21, 2017, 07:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

not much chat about this one, seems to be end of march that either Leo Varadkar or Simon Coveneny with Leo the slight favorite.
Any thoughts on that? And do we see another election coming?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

seafoid

They need to sort out their shit before Brexit gets its mojo on
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mayo4Sam

I can't see Leo getting it, its a predominately rural based party and theres probably a lot of old school values, it'll be interesting to see

I think Paschal O'D is the best available, very smart and articulate. Simon Harris is also very capable but probably not experienced enough
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Rossfan

You need to take a Brexit break Seafín ;D
Varadker seems to be the early favourite but I suspect there may be moves to stymie him.
Enda expected to tell them of his intentions at a gathering of Blueshirts tomorrow.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

foxcommander

Remember Richard Bruton (RIP 2010)
Enda could yet have an auld trick up his sleeve to stay on his perch.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

mrdeeds

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 21, 2017, 08:17:27 PM
I can't see Leo getting it, its a predominately rural based party and theres probably a lot of old school values, it'll be interesting to see

I think Paschal O'D is the best available, very smart and articulate. Simon Harris is also very capable but probably not experienced enough

Paschal articulate? Please say you're trolling.

trileacman

I'd have my money on Coveney. Articulate and has the cut of a politician. If he's likeable behind the scenes I can't see fg putting a woman or a homosexual ahead of him. FG wouldn't elect a woman leader unless it's specifically to counter a Mary Lou led SF. Too many middle-aged rural male tds.  Not that's a bad thing it's just natural they'd be more comfortable with a straight male leader. Varadker, who is probably the best candidate will suffer for his lifestyle choice and I get the feeling he's quite awkward and dull in social conversation.

Bruton wouldn't be a bad choice but too many will see him as yesterday's man and Harris will be viewed as tomorrow's so are unlikely to challenge strongly.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

seafoid

alan Shatter had to resign over McCabe 3 years ago. How the hell did it resurface to take Inda out ?

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on February 21, 2017, 08:18:39 PM
You need to take a Brexit break Seafín ;D
Varadker seems to be the early favourite but I suspect there may be moves to stymie him.
Enda expected to tell them of his intentions at a gathering of Blueshirts tomorrow.
It's not BAU, Rossfan.
Whoever wins will have to deal with really seismic stuff over the next few years.
the last time TSHTF,  FF were not ready at all. Cowen was a BAU merchant.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mrdeeds

Quote from: trileacman on February 21, 2017, 08:50:49 PM
I'd have my money on Coveney. Articulate and has the cut of a politician. If he's likeable behind the scenes I can't see fg putting a woman or a homosexual ahead of him. FG wouldn't elect a woman leader unless it's specifically to counter a Mary Lou led SF. Too many middle-aged rural male tds.  Not that's a bad thing it's just natural they'd be more comfortable with a straight male leader. Varadker, who is probably the best candidate will suffer for his lifestyle choice and I get the feeling he's quite awkward and dull in social conversation.

Bruton wouldn't be a bad choice but too many will see him as yesterday's man and Harris will be viewed as tomorrow's so are unlikely to challenge strongly.

Did you just describe Leo's homosexuality as a lifestyle choice. Holy fook.

trileacman

Quote from: mrdeeds on February 21, 2017, 09:34:33 PM
Quote from: trileacman on February 21, 2017, 08:50:49 PM

Did you just describe Leo's homosexuality as a lifestyle choice. Holy fook.

Suppose I should have just referred to it as his sexuality. Ah it's hardly a comment worth getting upset over.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Farrandeelin

Be great craic if Enda has a different plan.  ;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cunny Funt

Two horse race by the looks of it

Leo Varadkar 4/11   
Simon Coveney 2/1   
Simon Harris 16/1   
Paschal Donohoe 25/1   
Richard Bruton 33/1   
Damien English 50/1
Frances Fitzgerald 50/1
Regina Doherty 66/1
Charlie Flanagan 100/1
Heather Humphreys 100/1