China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: bennydorano on April 11, 2020, 11:44:22 AM
Article on front page of UK Times - Vaccine could be ready by September. Vaccine being developed by Oxford University, human trials beginning in next fortnight.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Right from the start of this we've been told about the brilliant British scientists and how Britain has been following the best scientific advice. At the moment Britain is predicted to have the worst outcome of any European country. The herd immunity plan was a disaster and was born of complete arrogance because nobody really knew enough about the virus. Also Hancock, Johnson etc kept telling us about this antibody test the brilliant British scientists were going to produce which would be a game changer. Several failed attempts later we are still waiting. A lot of the strategy and planning was based around having the antibody test which they pinned their hopes on. Now we're being told that the brilliant British scientists will have a vaccine ready for September. I'll believe it when I see it.

Milltown Row2

Not cause I'm anti British but I'd put more faith into a vaccine being made in China rather Britain as they have been fighting these types of things for years.

Not because of herd immunity and not closing down early. That be a daft reason
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

156 deaths in Irish nursing homes. That's a big number in comparison to the overall number to date.

Rossfan

Wouldn't a large percentage of deaths be nursing home residents anyway in normal times.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 11, 2020, 02:48:49 PM
156 deaths in Irish nursing homes. That's a big number in comparison to the overall number to date.

Have the government put up a actual stat on that or is that just being reported by some guy on social media?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

redcard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 11, 2020, 03:56:34 PM

Have the government put up a actual stat on that or is that just being reported by some guy on social media?

Heard it on rte news last night myself

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 11, 2020, 01:46:16 PM
Not cause I'm anti British but I'd put more faith into a vaccine being made in China rather Britain as they have been fighting these types of things for years.

Not because of herd immunity and not closing down early. That be a daft reason

I genuinely would not be anti British but it has to be said Britain is an absolute mess. The politicians they have are nothing but charlatans and the media are beyond ridiculous. Between how this has been handled and brexit(whether you are for or against)we've had nothing but misinformation at every single turn. They have a prime minister who people couldn't even trust when he said he had corona virus. It really has lost the run of itself.

Milltown Row2

We've had misfortunes since 1690 ffs!

Though to tar every scientist in Britain that they are useless or because of brexit, which the public voted for let's not forget that,  whether you or I were in favour for is not really the problem.

They got it wrong but every post nearly on here is finished off with the same shit! It's boring no one needs reminding on here

armaghniac

They definitely dropped the ball on this one, although at least they are counting them.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 11, 2020, 05:38:09 PM

It wasn't great craic in the 1640s either, the world did not start in 1690.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on April 11, 2020, 05:50:22 PM

They definitely dropped the ball on this one, although at least they are counting them.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 11, 2020, 05:38:09 PM

It wasn't great craic in the 1640s either, the world did not start in 1690.

Well that's a date they ain't shoving down our throats! But yes Ireland wasn't in good shape till the Celtic Tiger kicked in

gallsman

Quote from: hardstation on April 11, 2020, 12:11:55 AM
Family and friends are "embarrassing" themselves with their rhetoric as their loved ones show signs of improvement from deadly diseases. Really? You can't let that slide?

On a cold, hard basis? Absolutely.

I've had loved ones die. My wife gave up her life for the best part of two years to nurse her mother through a terminal brain tumour. The suggestion of implication that she didn't "fight" as hard as others to beat a f**king brain tumour for which there is no cure is grossly offensive. You don't beat serious illness through "fighting". It's a function of your underlying physical condition, the quality of medical care you receive and blind luck. Hence why, like I said, use of "fighting talk" is generally discouraged by cancer charities.

Now, if you're asking me am I going to privately or publicly castigate, mock or ridicule someone who chooses to use such words, then of course not, because I'm not a f**king idiot.

gallsman

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on April 11, 2020, 04:09:10 AM
Quote from: five points on April 10, 2020, 06:54:50 PM
Quote from: Hound on April 10, 2020, 06:45:33 PM
Another table. Not sure there's any surprises

Deaths in Europe per population (no of deaths per million population) as of this morning with estimated population

Great info, thanks. If you have a recurring source or link for this, an update every so often would be great so we can follow trends etc.

Site below has that information for the world. Can be sorted by # deaths, deaths per m pop, reported cases, # tests per m pop etc.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Really wish people would stop pushing this. The absolute spread of a virus and the success of efforts to combat it are not a function of population.

Hound

Quote from: gallsman on April 11, 2020, 07:16:46 PM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on April 11, 2020, 04:09:10 AM
Quote from: five points on April 10, 2020, 06:54:50 PM
Quote from: Hound on April 10, 2020, 06:45:33 PM
Another table. Not sure there's any surprises

Deaths in Europe per population (no of deaths per million population) as of this morning with estimated population

Great info, thanks. If you have a recurring source or link for this, an update every so often would be great so we can follow trends etc.

Site below has that information for the world. Can be sorted by # deaths, deaths per m pop, reported cases, # tests per m pop etc.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Really wish people would stop pushing this. The absolute spread of a virus and the success of efforts to combat it are not a function of population.
Who the feck is "pushing" it??
Stats are of academic interest to many people, but you need to be careful of the conclusions you draw.
Some people just have no head for stats and so should absolutely ignore them.
Population is a factor, but by no means the most important factor. Population density for one is more important, and there are lots of others.

But I find it quite interesting, for example, the number of reported Covid 19 deaths in the following European countries and US states, all which have a population of in and around 10 mill, and to hypothesise as to why such huge variances arise between them:

Michigan 1,276
Sweden 887
Portugal 470
Georgia (US) 429
Czech 129
Greece 93
North Carolina 89
Hungary 85
Belarus 23

Another interesting one is that Romania's reported death rate has been running from the very beginning on a day by day basis almost in line with Ireland (apart from maybe the last 2/3 days where we've pushed ahead a little bit), despite the many differences in circumstances including their population being around 20 million.

gallsman

Who's pushing it? Journalists, commentators, Americans, world renowned statisticians/polemicists like Nate Silver. In short, lots of people.

Attempts to contain the virus have absolutely nothing to do with overall population size. With a virus, the aim is to stop it spreading. If you stop the infection at 10 cases and you've a population of 100 million, it doesn't mean you've done any better, any more etc than stopping it at 10 cases with a population of 1 million. The important stats are the absolute numbers of infections, deaths, hospitalisations, ICU admissions etc.

What is interesting on a per capita basis is the efforts at testing.

armaghniac

Quote from: gallsman on April 11, 2020, 07:16:46 PM

Cases per million is a  reasonable measure. But there is no point applying it to a large counry like China or the USA, or even Italy or Spain. In a smaller area this ratio is informative.

Better to look at regions/cities.

Quote from: HoundMichigan 1,276
Sweden 887
Portugal 470
Georgia (US) 429
Czech 129
Greece 93
North Carolina 89
Hungary 85
Belarus 23

You could add Belgium to your list, pop 11m, 3346 deaths
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B