China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

They keep saying the UK is flattering the curve! WTF
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Will it ever end

I personally don't trust any of the China figures whatsoever - likewise the African nations.

A friend is an outreach officer across a number of countries in Africa & has said its complete chaos - less than 50 being tested per day - deaths being recorded as other causes.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: five points on April 10, 2020, 06:54:50 PM
Quote from: Hound on April 10, 2020, 06:45:33 PM
Another table. Not sure there's any surprises

Deaths in Europe per population (no of deaths per million population) as of this morning with estimated population

Great info, thanks. If you have a recurring source or link for this, an update every so often would be great so we can follow trends etc.

Site below has that information for the world. Can be sorted by # deaths, deaths per m pop, reported cases, # tests per m pop etc.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Something not quite right with the fact Ireland have only reported 25 recoveries from 8,000 cases, same number as Bermuda (48 cases), Tunisia (671), Togo (76) & Zambia (40)
Sweden and India have the most similar numbers of cases to IReland (9685 & 7600) and they have recorded 381 and 774 recoveries respectively.
Hasta la victoria siempre

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on April 11, 2020, 04:09:10 AM

Deaths in Europe per population (no of deaths per million population) as of this morning with estimated population

Great info, thanks. If you have a recurring source or link for this, an update every so often would be great so we can follow trends etc.

Site below has that information for the world. Can be sorted by # deaths, deaths per m pop, reported cases, # tests per m pop etc.

Something not quite right with the fact Ireland have only reported 25 recoveries from 8,000 cases, same number as Bermuda (48 cases), Tunisia (671), Togo (76) & Zambia (40)
Sweden and India have the most similar numbers of cases to IReland (9685 & 7600) and they have recorded 381 and 774 recoveries respectively.

There is something not quite right about a whole lot of the figures doing the rounds regarding Covid 19.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 11, 2020, 08:00:58 AM

There is something not quite right about a whole lot of the figures doing the rounds regarding Covid 19.

Dr Gabriel Scally has repeatedly stated that the figures aren't close to the reality and the figures could be double in reality. The testing and traceability issue is huge. I could be a carrier and completely symptom-less. I could give it to countless people who are not able to fight it like me and could die. Mass community testing needed

snoopdog

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 11, 2020, 08:13:01 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 11, 2020, 08:00:58 AM

Dr Gabriel Scally has repeatedly stated that the figures aren't close to the reality and the figures could be double in reality. The testing and traceability issue is huge. I could be a carrier and completely symptom-less. I could give it to countless people who are not able to fight it like me and could die. Mass community testing needed

Does current  lockdown type procedures not reduce the need for mass testing? I suppose we will only find that out when restrictions are lifted.

Saffrongael

Are the countries including deaths in care homes ? I believe France are now
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Hound

Quote from: Saffrongael on April 11, 2020, 08:59:08 AM
Bit odd if they were excluding previously?!

I believe Spain's numbers include a very significant number in nursing homes.
They haven't put numbers on it in Ireland, but I think a decent sized number of our deaths have been in nursing homes.

France and Belgium's deaths have really increased over the last 4 or 5 days. Seems to be getting very little coverage compared to Spain, Italy and the UK, but they are definitely in the same bracket.

trailer

No doubt the figures are all over the place. No one knows the number of cases. No one knows the number of deaths. No one knows the number of recoveries. It's a mess. Comparing figures and then the approaches of different countries appears to have very limited value.

Hound

I see George Lee tweeted yesterday that 156 Irish Covid deaths relate to nursing home residents. 54% at the time.

seafoid

Quote from: Hound on April 11, 2020, 09:24:09 AM
Quote from: Saffrongael on April 11, 2020, 08:59:08 AM
Bit odd if they were excluding previously?!

I believe Spain's numbers include a very significant number in nursing homes.
They haven't put numbers on it in Ireland, but I think a decent sized number of our deaths have been in nursing homes.

France and Belgium's deaths have really increased over the last 4 or 5 days. Seems to be getting very little coverage compared to Spain, Italy and the UK, but they are definitely in the same bracket.

https://www.ft.com/content/d48f0438-7b1b-11ea-af44-daa3def9ae03

Across Europe there are signs that observance of stringent social distancing measures by the vast majority of the public — better compliance than many experts had expected — has led to a big decline in viral transmission. The key figure is the "reproduction number" R measuring the average number of new cases generated by an infected individual. If R is above 1, an outbreak spreads; if it is below 1, it contracts. For Covid-19, R was between 2.5 and 3 in most places before any measures were introduced.  According to a leading scientist in the UK's fight against the disease, the latest evidence shows a steep fall in the R rate to around 0.6 now, which would quickly suppress the pandemic. However, deaths are still rising fast because of the delay between infection and when serious symptoms develop.  Patrick Vallance, UK chief scientist, said on Thursday there were clear signs of new cases levelling off. But he added: "I would expect the deaths to keep going up for two weeks." 

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bennydorano

Article on front page of UK Times - Vaccine could be ready by September. Vaccine being developed by Oxford University, human trials beginning in next fortnight.

Will it ever end

That's the real hope of getting back to normality

Outside of that it'll be a restricted normal

Aaron Boone

Quote from: bennydorano on April 11, 2020, 11:44:22 AM
Article on front page of UK Times - Vaccine could be ready by September. Vaccine being developed by Oxford University, human trials beginning in next fortnight.

Could be a Nobel Prize winner.