Ger Farragher - It's time for Galway to put up or shut up.

Started by The Wedger, May 08, 2010, 12:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wedger

Farragher calls for Tribal warfare

By Cliona Foley

Thursday May 06 2010

IT'S time for Galway's hurlers to put up or shut up according to Ger Farragher, who has certainly been leading the new Division 1 champions by example this year.

"We're long enough now threatening to do it," said Farragher (27). "Every year it's the same talk of, 'It's going to be Galway's year this year' or whatever, but it's about time the players stood up now and did it.

"We should have beaten Waterford last year, we just threw it away in the last few minutes when we were four points up in injury-time or something," he reflected.

That defeat proved particularly painful for him because, after having a brilliant game, it was Farragher who turned over the ball that yielded the Decies' dramatic comeback.

"It was me who gave the ball away -- Waterford went down the field and got a goal so more than anyone, I know what it's like. Hopefully, we'll learn from that game," he said.

An All Star winner at corner-forward in 2005, Farragher's inter-county renaissance, in a new midfield role, has been one of the talking points of the Tribesmen's good league run and he picked up the Vodafone Hurler of the Month for April yesterday.

He has returned to his top form after struggling to hold down a starting place under Ger Loughnane's previous management.

"I was training away, but I had a bit of a back injury at the time and I kind of fell out of favour and I probably wasn't hurling as well as I could either," he admitted. "Different managements have different opinions and I'm just happy to be getting a settled run in the team at the moment."

Farragher (below) has always been a sharpshooter with frees and sideline cuts, carrying the free-taking can in Joe Canning's absence, and admits to practising assiduously.

"I was just reading a book on Jonny Wilkinson and he says he knows when he's going up to kick a ball that he has the practice done and that he's going to score it, so it's all about positive thinking, but you have to put the practice in," he said.

He revealed his new midfield role came about because manager John McIntyre actually consulted the players themselves about where they preferred to play.

"You'd be kind of half afraid to say midfield because he might say: 'Is this lad a bit cocky or whatever, telling me where to play him?'" he admitted laughing. "But that's just John's style of management; he puts the players first and we have a say."

Farragher played midfield during his three seasons with the county minors, but, having won back-to-back All-Irelands in 1999-2000, he typified Galway's enigmatic inability to translate underage success into senior medals.

That is why last weekend's full-blooded league final performance against Cork was such a boost.

"Against Tipperary we'd a brilliant first half and then in the second half we kind of died again, but the last day we pushed on, so it was definitely important for our progress," he said.

innovations

McIntyre's introduction of youngsters like Donal Barry, David Burke and Aidan Harte has helped and he has made several other innovations to bring out the best in Galway this season.

"A big thing we've worked on is concentration, particularly in the last five, 10 minutes of a game when we've let teams come back into it before," Farragher revealed.

"There's more of a team spirit there than any other year," he added. "We went away to Westport and had a great bonding weekend there last month.

"I know it is great to win the league final, it's a medal, it's nothing to be sneezed at, but we have Wexford in four weeks' time," he stressed

"When we played them two years ago down in Nowlan Park they gave us an awful beating, so we are under no illusions."

- Cliona Foley

Irish Independent

Milltown Row2

good to see players being positive when talking about their chances.

The hurling championship needs Galway and Dublin to be pushing for honours this year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

longrunsthefox

I hope they do give it a lash but I think there a wee bit behind Tipp and Kilkenny still. Really hope I'm wrong tho.

Minder

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 08, 2010, 11:36:20 PM
I hope they do give it a lash but I think there a wee bit behind Tipp and Kilkenny still. Really hope I'm wrong tho.

I would say they are neck and neck with Tipp.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Clarin Pearl

every odd year seems to be the year to put up or shut up for Galway. theres no point taking all the pressure of 20 years of crap. You are only responsible for the games you've played.

Good to hear positive stuff outta Galway all the same. Couldn't agree more about Dublin.

johnneycool

I see Farragher talks about loss of concentration when in tight situations and I think McIntyre is right as there were still some glimpses of that against Cork who just hadn't got the forwards to avail of the opportunities even though Galway were on top for most of the game. Some bad wides for Galway give Cork a glimmer of hope when they should have been out of sight.

Ash Smoker

It has just been confirmed that Galway will definitely be without Fergal Moore this year.
Though they did cope fine without him the League final.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Ash Smoker on May 13, 2010, 07:23:07 PM
It has just been confirmed that Galway will definitely be without Fergal Moore this year.
Though they did cope fine without him the League final.
He's a massive lost TBH.  When fit, he is one of the first names on the team sheet along with the 2 Cannings.  Hopefully if we are still playing championship in late Aug / early Sept he is available as he is a class hurler. 

seafoid

Hard to believe Galway have never beaten Wexford in the championship. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: seafoid on May 27, 2010, 11:16:15 AM
Hard to believe Galway have never beaten Wexford in the championship.
It took Tipp about 120 years to beat Offaly in championship.

seafoid

Tipp. used to be the Chateau Petrus of hurling and now you can buy a bottle for €3.99 in Centra in Thurles
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: hardstation on May 29, 2010, 08:03:51 PM
What a fecking save! A very bad miss all the same.

As good as I've ever seen. Phenomenal. Wexford still right in it though. Galway not showing their ability here.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Clarin Pearl

INDIANA

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on May 29, 2010, 08:24:57 PM
wexford lowering the blades now

Aye - easy for Galway in the end.

Red for Diarmaid Lyng.

Wexford down to 13