The 4 youngsters marked for AFL?

Started by GalwayBayBoy, November 17, 2007, 04:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone exile

Quote from: tayto on December 08, 2007, 06:41:26 PM
The thinking is that a club that invests so much time coaching a younfella so maybe they're entitled to a bit of compensation. Obviously there's no way to enforce this as the AFL is a different code altogether, the only way would be n the AFL and GAA come to some agreement and without the IR there's no reason for the AFL to agree to this. 

Why should they pay, when a young lad decides to go play soccer, and quits Gaelic, there is no big argument. Why should clubs receive anything, are they out of money for him leaving? one player can not make a club money especially a big club like ardboe. I think that its getting to a point when any players try and do well for themselves there is an immediate outcry by the so called "Grassroot" members! lads that are asked to play Aussie rules have the chance to make a living doing something they want to do. Why would anyone begrudge them that?

orangeman

If there was a good young soccer player and a big English club came in for him, would there be a fee or not ?

tyrone exile

of course there would be, if he had a contract and teh english club wanted him then obviously they would have to pay to break that contract, but incase youse boys havnt noticed, players arnt contracted in gaelic, there free to play whatever they wanted.

orangeman

But you'd be fairly pissed off if you had a rising star and the Aussies come in, tap him on the shoulder and he's away - I've been saying this for an awful long time and it's not because Kyle is from my own club.

tyrone exile

we may have the right to be pissed of, but we have no right to try and stop, just imagine the opportunities that will be opened to Kyle if he does go

orangeman

I've never said at any stage that he should be stopped - in fact if you look at one of my posts yesterday, I said good luck to him !

My point is and always has been that AFL is big business - they are now increasingly looking to Ireland for FREEBIES !

tyrone exile

look at my initial post and you will realise that it was not directed towards what you sayed, you just happen to reply.
These teams are trying to better there teams, if they see talent in ireland why wouldnt they go for them? it is not as ifs these players ae walking onto aussie rules teams, the coaches have to also put alot of work in

orangeman

When Dessie and the boys have this pay for play strategy working properly in a few years time and when players are getting good money, maybe we'll be able to bring Australian footballers over to play for the top clubs in Ireland ??  :)

There will probably be a premier league and some of these big Aussies might help our teams as well ?

Bogball XV

Quote from: orangeman on December 08, 2007, 08:55:27 PM
When Dessie and the boys have this pay for play strategy working properly in a few years time and when players are getting good money, maybe we'll be able to bring Australian footballers over to play for the top clubs in Ireland ??  :)

There will probably be a premier league and some of these big Aussies might help our teams as well ?
There's an idea, Ardboe new full forward Bruce Dipperdomenico, Moortown were claiming him, but he's got kin in Ardboe.

orangeman

orangeman

Good luck to him surely - if he makes it great  - it's just a pity that these great players that go to OZ are lost to us here -

loughshore lad

What do you make of the fact Canavan will be going out with Kyle to act as his "advisor"?

orangeman

Where did that come from Loughshore ? Advisor ? You mean agent ? :D ;D

ykickamoocow

Quote from: tyrone exile on December 08, 2007, 08:43:58 PM
These teams are trying to better there teams, if they see talent in ireland why wouldnt they go for them? it is not as ifs these players ae walking onto aussie rules teams, the coaches have to also put alot of work in

Very true. Irish players require alot more 1 on 1 attention than than most other young players as for some they need to learn new skills which are already present in regular young players (eg kicking the ball). Gaelic Football and Aussie Rules are similar in many important ways but they also have quite afew differences and these need to be taught to the young Irish recruits which does take more time.

parttimeexile

Could someone explain to me how reintroducing the compromise rules would stop the Aussies taking players as this is what some people seem to believe.