The 4 youngsters marked for AFL?

Started by GalwayBayBoy, November 17, 2007, 04:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball Hopper

Colin O'Riordan still with Sydney Swans - he too suffered some horrific injuries, including a broken back!

Angelo

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on September 04, 2020, 12:15:03 AM
Quote from: Angelo on September 03, 2020, 10:15:27 PM
Looking at some statistics there, very few Irish lads make it over the 50 appearance mark over there.

I think Tuohy and McKenna are the only ones with over 50 appearances there currently active. O'Connor will probably get there shortly after and the year or two will probably decide if Glass or Nash make it. Most guys just don't make it so I think with these guys it might just be that their bodies have broken down or maybe they just don't deliver on underage promise for whatever reason. It happens plenty of underage stars that never take a flight to Australia - Coney and Ronan O'Neill would be a couple of obvious examples from Tyrone.

So effectively you have 5 GAA players currently active now, 3 are established and two are kind of hitting make or break territory.

If you thrive over there and come back fit and healthy I don't see why they wouldn't take back to gaelic football like a duck to water. The problem is a lot of lads come back broken, some just don't hack it over there and don't deliver and some do come back and become key players for their county like McKaigue and Caolan Mooney.

Guys like Walsh and Kevin Dyas suffered terrible injuries over there and probably explains why they never had the right impact. Dyas was as good an underage talent as I've seen in the past 20 years and could have achieved so much more if not for injuries.

Agreed, it is difficult, mainly due to the lateness of players taking up the game, trying to learn running patterns etc. That's why a lot of Irish players play half back, its quite similar to wing back in gaelic football - mark your man when you don't have the ball, bomb up the wing and support when you do.
It feels like there are more Irish players now than ever - Glass, Nash and O'Connor (you may have missed him) have been in the best lineup for Hawks and Sydney this year and each have a chance to break the 50 games mark (it should be noted that just above 30% of AFL players to play a single game reach 50, stats from end of 2017).

In the past 15 years, you could add Setanta O'Hailpin, Begley, Ciraran Byrne.

It is true, though that there's a high attrition rate. Kyle Coney is one I often think about - won a minor AI and was highly rated in GAA before coming over to Sydney. Was only here a couple of years afaicr but don't think he had much run since he went back home at all.
Cian Hanley can't train due to his knee (I think) issues.

Coney only spent a couple of weeks out there before coming home or else he never went out full time after trials. He had a very good start to his intercounty career but had a very bad groin injury and never really kicked on from there.

At the minute there's about 5/6 guys there, 3 are fairly well established now (Tuohy, McKenna, O'Connor) and 3 are kind of at the make or break stage (Glass, Nash and O'Riordan). I do genuinely expect McKenna to pack it in at the end of the season, he's lost his place in recent weeks, has had to put up with a lot of nonsense recently and has been open about his will to return to Tyrone and homesickness so I think all the signs are pointing that way.

There's probably on average 5/6 guys who go out there every year from a GAA background and get a contract, maybe one of them makes it but usually the majority of them are home within 12 months or little more.

A lot of times these guys just don't kick on when they return and I don't think it's the AFL unless they've had some bad injury problems.

The point for me is very few make it over there and Hanley was one of the few, if his body hasn't broken down (in this case it might seem that it has) then even at 31 and probably away from the game for a good decade, I'd still expect that he could make a big impact with Mayo. The only case in point of AFL success stories returning to play gaelic football have been Kennelly and Clarke. Kennelly won an all star and AI medal on his only year back and Clarke won an all star and probably should have got footballer of the year on his first year back.

The only question mark I'd have on Hanley is whether his body is shot, if not he could still do a big job for Mayo.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

screenexile

We've another 2 lads out there Anton Tohill and Callum Brown. I don't think they're regulars yet but they've been out there more than a year!!

rosnarun

Quote from: Angelo on September 04, 2020, 01:18:49 AM
Looking at some statistics there, very few Irish lads make it over the 50 appearance mark over there.

I think Tuohy and McKenna are the only ones with over 50 appearances there currently active. O'Connor will probably get there shortly after and the year or two will probably decide if Glass or Nash make it. Most guys just don't make it so I think with these guys it might just be that their bodies have broken down or maybe they just don't deliver on underage promise for whatever reason. It happens plenty of underage stars that never take a flight to Australia - Coney and Ronan O'Neill would be a couple of obvious examples from Tyrone.

So effectively you have 5 GAA players currently active now, 3 are established and two are kind of hitting make or break territory.

If you thrive over there and come back fit and healthy I don't see why they wouldn't take back to gaelic football like a duck to water. The problem is a lot of lads come back broken, some just don't hack it over there and don't deliver and some do come back and become key players for their county like McKaigue and Caolan Mooney.

Guys like Walsh and Kevin Dyas suffered terrible injuries over there and probably explains why they never had the right impact. Dyas was as good an underage talent as I've seen in the past 20 years and could have achieved so much more if not for injuries.

Agreed, it is difficult, mainly due to the lateness of players taking up the game, trying to learn running patterns etc. That's why a lot of Irish players play half back, its quite similar to wing back in gaelic football - mark your man when you don't have the ball, bomb up the wing and support when you do.
It feels like there are more Irish players now than ever - Glass, Nash and O'Connor (you may have missed him) have been in the best lineup for Hawks and Sydney this year and each have a chance to break the 50 games mark (it should be noted that just above 30% of AFL players to play a single game reach 50, stats from end of 2017).

It is true, though that there's a high attrition rate. Kyle Coney is one I often think about - won a minor AI and was highly rated in GAA before coming over to Sydney. Was only here a couple of years afaicr but don't think he had much run since he went back home at all.

Coney only spent a couple of weeks out there before coming home or else he never went out full time after trials. He had a very good start to his intercounty career but had a very bad groin injury and never really kicked on from there.

At the minute there's about 5/6 guys there, 3 are fairly well established now (Tuohy, McKenna, O'Connor) and 3 are kind of at the make or break stage (Glass, Nash and O'Riordan). I do genuinely expect McKenna to pack it in at the end of the season, he's lost his place in recent weeks, has had to put up with a lot of nonsense recently and has been open about his will to return to Tyrone and homesickness so I think all the signs are pointing that way.

There's probably on average 5/6 guys who go out there every year from a GAA background and get a contract, maybe one of them makes it but usually the majority of them are home within 12 months or little more.

A lot of times these guys just don't kick on when they return and I don't think it's the AFL unless they've had some bad injury problems.

The point for me is very few make it over there and Hanley was one of the few, if his body hasn't broken down (in this case it might seem that it has) then even at 31 and probably away from the game for a good decade, I'd still expect that he could make a big impact with Mayo. The only case in point of AFL success stories returning to play gaelic football have been Kennelly and Clarke. Kennelly won an all star and AI medal on his only year back and Clarke won an all star and probably should have got footballer of the year on his first year back.

The only question mark I'd have on Hanley is whether his body is shot, if not he could still do a big job for Mayo.
I really think hes too old in any case . he won't play this year . probably need a year at club and by then he'd be 33 time to retire any way.Mayo are in a phase of swapping out older players for new and the Club championship has shown there are lots of players out there , the last thing we need is to waste time on a project player  with a beaten up body.
he make his choice and it worked
out well for him so let him retire in peace
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tubberman

Quote from: rosnarun on September 04, 2020, 10:54:24 AM
Quote from: Angelo on September 04, 2020, 01:18:49 AM

I really think hes too old in any case . he won't play this year . probably need a year at club and by then he'd be 33 time to retire any way.Mayo are in a phase of swapping out older players for new and the Club championship has shown there are lots of players out there , the last thing we need is to waste time on a project player  with a beaten up body.
he make his choice and it worked
out well for him so let him retire in peace

well said
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Angelo

Quote from: screenexile on September 04, 2020, 08:05:52 AM
We've another 2 lads out there Anton Tohill and Callum Brown. I don't think they're regulars yet but they've been out there more than a year!!

Unless they make a breakthrough in the next 12 months you can expect them to be returning home shortly.

Tohill is a strange one as he wasn't even getting much game time underage for Derry, was he not on the bench for a lot of Derry underage teams?

oakleaflad

Quote from: Angelo on September 04, 2020, 11:34:07 AM

Unless they make a breakthrough in the next 12 months you can expect them to be returning home shortly.

Tohill is a strange one as he wasn't even getting much game time underage for Derry, was he not on the bench for a lot of Derry underage teams?
Both improved massively in their late teens. A lot of uproar made about Brown not starting for Derry minors but truth be told he struggling to solo the ball consistently at U16 to the starting county U20/21 team at 18, he made huge improvements and is obviously physically gifted.
Tohill likewise wouldn't have been starting on Derry underage teams but improved massively just before heading out. He's some height of a lad too which obviously helps.

Angelo

Quote from: oakleaflad on September 04, 2020, 11:55:02 AM

Both improved massively in their late teens. A lot of uproar made about Brown not starting for Derry minors but truth be told he struggling to solo the ball consistently at U16 to the starting county U20/21 team at 18, he made huge improvements and is obviously physically gifted.
Tohill likewise wouldn't have been starting on Derry underage teams but improved massively just before heading out. He's some height of a lad too which obviously helps.

Brown was making a big impact even if not starting for Derry teams. Tohill never really seemed to be rated that much which is why it was a bit of a suprise to see him head out there. He could just be a late developer but I'm just surprised how he was spotted, is it solely to do with being a son of a legend?

oakleaflad

Quote from: Angelo on September 04, 2020, 12:06:55 PM

Brown was making a big impact even if not starting for Derry teams. Tohill never really seemed to be rated that much which is why it was a bit of a suprise to see him head out there. He could just be a late developer but I'm just surprised how he was spotted, is it solely to do with being a son of a legend?
Ahh I couldn't say. He was starting for St.Pat's Maghera, on Derry panel and improving before he went out. Maybe it did have an impact, maybe it didn't. I know he did a bit of work with Marty Clarke before going out. The fact he's 6ft 6.5in tall and can run helps too. The big thing i'd emphasize is they're two different sports and once Collingwood seen his size, testing times and he that he did well in kicking drills, they took a chance on him.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: oakleaflad on September 04, 2020, 12:19:28 PM
Quote from: Angelo on September 04, 2020, 12:06:55 PM

Ahh I couldn't say. He was starting for St.Pat's Maghera, on Derry panel and improving before he went out. Maybe it did have an impact, maybe it didn't. I know he did a bit of work with Marty Clarke before going out. The fact he's 6ft 6.5in tall and can run helps too. The big thing i'd emphasize is they're two different sports and once Collingwood seen his size, testing times and he that he did well in kicking drills, they took a chance on him.

Collingwood have a history of gambling cross code on a big guy and it working out - Mason Cox came from Basketball If I remember correctly he was at times unplayable in the 2018 Grand Final.

Never beat the deeler

Hasta la victoria siempre

Never beat the deeler

I feel he is one of the few that can (will) make a genuine impact at football once he returns. A skillful player, who hasn't been overly hampered with injuries - he was out with a fractured hand earlier this year, but none of the soft tissue / joint problems that cause recurring issues

https://www.afl.com.au/news/497519/essendon-speedster-shocks-teammates-with-retirement-announcement
Hasta la victoria siempre

stephenite

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on September 08, 2020, 02:02:13 AM
I feel he is one of the few that can (will) make a genuine impact at football once he returns. A skillful player, who hasn't been overly hampered with injuries - he was out with a fractured hand earlier this year, but none of the soft tissue / joint problems that cause recurring issues

https://www.afl.com.au/news/497519/essendon-speedster-shocks-teammates-with-retirement-announcement

Agreed, fine footballer and think he will make a big impact on his return. Certainly none of the Tommy Walsh type of injuries. Will selfishly miss seeing him play down here

Angelo

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on September 08, 2020, 02:02:13 AM

Plenty of them do make an impact and they are guys who didn't even cut it at AFL. As I've said previously, the only two success stories who returned to play GAA from the AFL were Marty Clarke and Tadhg Kennelly and both won all stars in their first year back.

Anyone else who has returned either didn't make it/had an indifferent time or came back with their body in bits.

McKenna was an outstanding underage footballer. He was the best player on show in 2013 minor championship and he was underage the next year as well. He had speed, power flair, could kick with two feet and was a very good free taker.

That's a while ago now but he has excelled and proved himself at AFL and very, very few that go out there manage that.

It may take him time to acclimatise back but I would have high expectations. He's exactly what we are missing right now. For me he's the biggest talent to come through the county since Sean Cavanagh.

This is a game changer for Tyrone, roll on 2021.

Angelo