NFL Division Two 2022

Started by Blowitupref, January 15, 2022, 09:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the goal was on

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 18, 2022, 06:55:43 AM
Quote from: the goal was on on January 17, 2022, 04:37:35 PM
With Derry your guaranteed they,ll be almost full tilt from the first game. Training 8 days a week!!!! But to be serious they will have a settled team and won't tweak week to week so for that reason they will go up. Plus they have 2 handy games to start which helps build momentum.

Aye just missing the Slaughtneil contingent. No bother  :o

They have been training once a week with team all along as they recently confirmed and will be free after this weekend id imagine.

JoG2

Quote from: the goal was on on January 18, 2022, 10:40:42 AM
With Derry your guaranteed they,ll be almost full tilt from the first game. Training 8 days a week!!!! But to be serious they will have a settled team and won't tweak week to week so for that reason they will go up. Plus they have 2 handy games to start which helps build momentum.

They have been training once a week with team all along as they recently confirmed and will be free after this weekend id imagine.

Don't think it's been that often, definitely involved in a few sessions which shows a fair amount of trust and support between club and county. The players are in great physical shape atm and there's tonnes of pace. Will be interesting to see how the league pans out. As has been mentioned already, could be a year of cementing a decent top 4 in Div 2 and pushing on further next year.

IF we do get promoted, that's Div 1 to Div 4 and back to Div 1 from 2014 :) A cardiologist would not promote watching Derry for the health of the old ticker

Walter Cronc

Quote from: shawshank on January 18, 2022, 10:37:20 AM

Its three players. Rodgers, McKaigue & McGuigan. Tadd doesn't play hurling. The others are replaceable. If S'neil get bt this weekend the three are available.

You forgot Karl McKaigue & Paul McNeill

shawshank

I didn't, I said they were replaceable.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: shawshank on January 18, 2022, 12:46:23 PM

In the modern game subs (as you see the aforementioned) as just as important as starters. The way you worded it makes out Slaughtneil only supply 3 key hurlers when it's actually 5.

Silver hill

I think Karl is actually a better and more effective footballer than Chrissy.

tbrick18

Quote from: Silver hill on January 18, 2022, 11:04:01 PM

I agree, though Chrissy has a part to play provided he's chosen in the correct position and given a job to do which, in my opinion, is a dedicated man marker in the full back line. He's very effective at that.

We will be much stronger with the Slaughtneil contingent back.

I like the make up of our panel at the minute and it gives us options, something lacking for a long time.

I wouldn't be getting carried away with ideas of promotion just yet, though I'm sure that is the aim. If we can get a top half of the table finish in Div2 that will still be progress.

seafoid

Derry obviously have the gander up
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

toby47

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 19, 2022, 11:06:02 AM
Quote from: Silver hill on January 18, 2022, 11:04:01 PM

I agree, though Chrissy has a part to play provided he's chosen in the correct position and given a job to do which, in my opinion, is a dedicated man marker in the full back line. He's very effective at that.

We will be much stronger with the Slaughtneil contingent back.

I like the make up of our panel at the minute and it gives us options, something lacking for a long time.

I wouldn't be getting carried away with ideas of promotion just yet, though I'm sure that is the aim. If we can get a top half of the table finish in Div2 that will still be progress.

Chrissy is better than Karl. Chrissy is guaranteed his place, Karl isn't.

Real Talk

In terms of getting promotion to Div 1 I reckon that games against Galway, Cork, Roscommon and Clare will ensure that Derry won't get promoted.  They just don't have enough good forwards and mid-field replacement to win a significant percentage of kick outs .

I'd settle for them maintaining their Div 2 status with what is a fairly young squad.

tbrick18

Quote from: Real Talk on January 25, 2022, 01:23:20 PM
In terms of getting promotion to Div 1 I reckon that games against Galway, Cork, Roscommon and Clare will ensure that Derry won't get promoted.  They just don't have enough good forwards and mid-field replacement to win a significant percentage of kick outs .

I'd settle for them maintaining their Div 2 status with what is a fairly young squad.

Whilst I agree with with you on our forwards, I'm not sure I agree with your midfield assessment. We have Glass, McFaul, Bradley, McKinless all capable of contesting midfield. I think they'd break even with most midfields in Div2.

Like you though, I'd settle for retaining Div2 status. Another year of building and bringing through the minor winners.

Real Talk

Derry, like most teams now,  play the short kick-out options   So as to not be so predictable and beat the opposition "press" we need the option of a long direct kick-out to a high catching mid-fielder and if Glass was not playing who have we in our panel ? ..... that said most teams will have that problem.  Down and Derry are usually tight games .... so its the small margins that will count and strength in depth is crucial coming into the last 10 mins.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Real Talk on January 26, 2022, 08:07:16 PM
Derry, like most teams now,  play the short kick-out options   So as to not be so predictable and beat the opposition "press" we need the option of a long direct kick-out to a high catching mid-fielder and if Glass was not playing who have we in our panel ? ..... that said most teams will have that problem.  Down and Derry are usually tight games .... so its the small margins that will count and strength in depth is crucial coming into the last 10 mins.

Derry's kickouts have been good in the first half - part of it is down to poor marking by Down - they have gone long a couple of times to men free in space.
Derry worth their 5 point lead at HT.
Down struggling offensively - will require something a bit special to get back in this one I think.

thejuice

Looking forward to today. Andy's last year I'm charge I would say unless we pull off something amazing. So hopefully we go all out for division 2 but we've done so in the past and come up short. It's been a while since we beat Galway in the league and I think we should do this time. Salthill this time of year can be difficult weather wise though. No major absences, some long term injured lads returning like Niall Kane. Hopeful but we'll get a good sense of where we're at after today.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

It's hard to know how bad Galway are. Losing to Meath would be a decent indicator of mediocrity in the post 6 in a row landscape.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU