ESRI report - 80% of young gaels have difficulty balancing study and play

Started by Sportacus, December 17, 2019, 05:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportacus

Is the truth that while we have many fine coaches, many more are self-serving, in it for the glory and flogging the life out of their star players in the hope of success.  We like to talk a good game about inclusivity and mental health, but all around I see coaches training the legs out of young players night after night, even at this time of year, and trying to win at all costs. 

Balancing school work, school team, club team, maybe County, maybe playing another sport as well, part-time job, maybe sick relative, etc etc....,who do we think these kids are!

GetOverTheBar

It's a lovely sentiment and I would be of the opinion that certain young players need less/more training than others but nothing will change.

If we are being fair, it's the same in other sports. I'm yet to meet the minor coach who tells a young lad to sit out a weeks training as he's playing with the school.

twohands!!!

QuoteUlster school plans Christmas Day training session

By Declan Bogue

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 06:15 AM
The Secretary of the Ulster Schools' GAA has hit out at some ridiculous training regimes that some Ulster schools have set out over the next two months.

This writer has received the schedules of schools training in December and January. The annual Ulster schools' GAA All-Stars trial is tonight and one school had scheduled training for the day before, and the day after, which would not even be 24 hours after the trial match.

Most alarmingly, a school has scheduled a running session for Christmas Day. Seamus Woods, who also served on the recent Fixtures Review Committee, is alarmed by such demands placed on teenagers.

"There have been so many reports and there is so much evidence about players being burnt out, and over-used. Everybody agrees that it is happening and accepts the evidence, but it is always everybody else's fault except the person doing the talking," explained the Tyrone man.

"We have heard about teams doing three outdoor field sessions per week in the run up to Christmas, as well as individual strength and condition sessions on each day in between; to describe this as ill-advised is a gross understatement, and someone needs to intervene.

Self-interest permeates every level in the GAA, and the lack of governance and oversight at every level creates the vacuum which gives free rein to those responsible for manic training regimes.

"Young players will be involved with their clubs, schools, and possibly an academy squad, but where is the oversight which will regulate and constrain a player's involvement in those three areas?

"The same thing is happening with many at Third Level." Woods has taken part in many reviews but his frustration is palpable when the recommendations contained in reports go unheeded.

"The strategic plan for All-Ireland schools is about the integration of schools with clubs. The fact is that schools have been, at best, semi-detached from the mainstream GAA, operating in a parallel universe," said Woods.

"This harks back historically to a time when there were fewer schools, mostly run by religious orders who did their own thing and nobody would trespass into their constituency. That era has long gone, but too many schools remain detached.

"Schools and clubs are sharing the same players and there are so many avenues for co-operation between clubs and schools; there is player development, coaching, sharing expertise, synchronising training programmes, sharing expertise resources, and facilities, coordinating rehabilitation programmes when necessary."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/ulster-school-plans-christmas-day-training-session-970857.html

Whoever is arranging training for school-kids on Christmas Day should be named, shamed and shown the door.

GetOverTheBar

Absolutely agree with above post. Name, Shame and Boot.

I just don't think this one is true though. Has the feel of a Brolly "...I'll tell you this, I was talking to a Dublin player....."

Would Bogue be a reliable source?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 17, 2019, 05:17:53 PM
It's a lovely sentiment and I would be of the opinion that certain young players need less/more training than others but nothing will change.

If we are being fair, it's the same in other sports. I'm yet to meet the minor coach who tells a young lad to sit out a weeks training as he's playing with the school.

It's not the same in other sports. GAA is by far the worst is this regard, they don't give a shit about player welfare.
#newbridgeornowhere

thewobbler

I listened to a summary of this report earlier today and I laughed out loud at it to be honest.

"GAA players at university are struggling to balance all their commitments".

Seriously, wait until you graduate you gobshites. You've more time than you can possibly understand.

"GAA players at university go binge drinking". f**k me, is that not the point of university?

——

Anyone who trains for any sport on Christmas Day should be stoned to death.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on December 17, 2019, 09:28:22 PM
I listened to a summary of this report earlier today and I laughed out loud at it to be honest.

"GAA players at university are struggling to balance all their commitments".

Seriously, wait until you graduate you gobshites. You've more time than you can possibly understand.

"GAA players at university go binge drinking". f**k me, is that not the point of university?

——

Anyone who trains for any sport on Christmas Day should be stoned to death.

I ref'd a college camogie game a couple of months ago and they were asking me to blow up early so they could head into town and 'study'! It was a Tuesday night!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Captain Scarlet

The GPA are probably raging that their elite athletes who put their lives on hold were chatting about big dirty sessions!
Once again the whole thing is rigged that the GPA will look on it as an overall GAA issue and will ask us what can we do, instead of fuckin calling out COUNTY MANAGERS.
John Horan doesn't set out gym plans and enforce drink bans.

Niall Moyna is out on Off The Ball saying that training could be reduced by 40% and still the games would be good. The idea of rest that is big in professional sports seems to be totally lost on the GAA S&C.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on December 18, 2019, 09:49:27 AM
Niall Moyna is out on Off The Ball saying that training could be reduced by 40% and still the games would be good. The idea of rest that is big in professional sports seems to be totally lost on the GAA S&C.

Its not even as simple - the disparate coaches do their own thing and players are caught in the middle.

County manger: I don't train them on Saturdays. So they have a days rest.
Club manager: I don't train them on Sundays. So they have a days rest.
College coach: I don't train them on Saturdays or Sundays, so they have 2 days rest.

Players: We don't get a rest.

I think the only viable approach would be an overly prescriptive one from the top - which would be met with its own backlash.

i.e. Croke Park decrees:

Sunday: County senior games (or training in lieu of that)
Monday: Club training
Tues: County training
Wed: College & Club training
Thurs: County training
Friday: Club senior games
Sat: Club reserve games

and there can be no deviation allowed from that. Obviously it won't work as the reality is far more complex (i.e. where does hurling fit in?) - but that kind of complexity is the thing most professional sports lack - you don't get Mo Salah playing hurling in his down time do you?
i usse an speelchekor

Captain Scarlet

Ah in fairness how many county lads see the inside of their club dressing rooms for nine months of the year?

The county managers don't let lads next or near clubs in most counties.
I mean county lads barely get let play club games in most counties, let alone training sessions.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

johnnycool

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 18, 2019, 11:53:08 AM

Its not even as simple - the disparate coaches do their own thing and players are caught in the middle.

County manger: I don't train them on Saturdays. So they have a days rest.
Club manager: I don't train them on Sundays. So they have a days rest.
College coach: I don't train them on Saturdays or Sundays, so they have 2 days rest.

Players: We don't get a rest.

I think the only viable approach would be an overly prescriptive one from the top - which would be met with its own backlash.

i.e. Croke Park decrees:

Sunday: County senior games (or training in lieu of that)
Monday: Club training
Tues: County training
Wed: College & Club training
Thurs: County training
Friday: Club senior games
Sat: Club reserve games

and there can be no deviation allowed from that. Obviously it won't work as the reality is far more complex (i.e. where does hurling fit in?) - but that kind of complexity is the thing most professional sports lack - you don't get Mo Salah playing hurling in his down time do you?

Where is the rest period in all that?

RadioGAAGAA

I'd assume intercounty players aren't togging out on their club reserve team...?

While one day is pretty crap - its probably one day more than most are getting at the minute.

i usse an speelchekor

GetOverTheBar

The GPA are probably raging that their elite athletes who put their lives on hold were chatting about big dirty sessions!
Once again the whole thing is rigged that the GPA will look on it as an overall GAA issue and will ask us what can we do, instead of fuckin calling out COUNTY MANAGERS.
John Horan doesn't set out gym plans and enforce drink bans.

Niall Moyna while highly respected and to be listened to, is living in cuckoo land if he thinks that will happen - it should, I'm in no way disagreeing with the man.

But Gaelic Games has become what is really a physical arms race. If one team reduces training by 40%....I would back the team that doesn't scale back that 40% all day long.....and that is the point, it's all about results.

manfromdelmonte

Only viable option is that third level players cannot train with county team until their college is knocked out of competition

That'd be too simple a solution  though

keep her low this half

The problem isn't inter county level, it is much much younger
I am currently coaching u-16
Two of our players are currently taining u-16, u-18, schools and county. One of them also plays soccer. This is to say nothing of the exams they are studying for, their part time jobs and any other social (girlfriends) interest they may have. Inter county players have it easy. Juveniles are being destroyed.