All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Any of the Mayo posters think Doherty should replace COC on free's?

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 28, 2017, 01:03:03 PM
Any of the Mayo posters think Doherty should replace COC on free's?

not sure, maybe if coc is having a bad day. but weve all seen how deadly he can be so dont think doc should move ahead of him based off 2 frees, i would let him take the next couple 45s though
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

straightred

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 28, 2017, 12:16:56 PM
As much as I would love to see it I can't see Mayo getting over the line in the final. They'll make a much better fist of it compared to Tyrone but Dublin look better than last year, they have the motivation for the three in a row and they'll want to avenge their below average performances last year.

Agree. Coming out of the monaghan game people were moaning about the poor showing of monaghan and saying that at least Dublin would be tested against tyrone. I remember thinking they wouldn't and that it would be more of the same. Dublin had changed their style from the kildare game and now it was about retaining possession, not carrying into contact, staying patient etc and it has worked a dream for them in the quarter and semi. Both games over after 10 mins (or 15 if I'm generous).

They can now switch style again but they have the players to do that. If its a shootout Dublin win. If its defensive Dublin win. Their squad is that good

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: TheOptimist on August 28, 2017, 11:47:38 AM
In the first final last year after 33 minutes the score was Dublin 2-1, Mayo 0-4. The Dublin goals were the 2 OG's. I said it before the semi's and I will say it again, people have short memories, Mayo are the only team who can trouble the Dubs, they have proven it two years in succession. They have every chance of winning this one.

When are people going to stop this rubbish about Mayo conceding two "own goals" last year. There is no such thing as the concept of an "own goal" in Gaelic football. Dublin's two goals were brought about by incessant pressure from the Dublin forwards and still count as three points any day of the week.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Mayo4Sam14

Whats the precedent of a team losing 4 finals in 6 years? 😂
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 28, 2017, 01:55:57 PM
Galway lost 3 in 4 years in the early 70's but beyond that I'm not sure.

Over the Bar

Could be worse if you were stuck on 1 solitary AI win like Armagh. Shameful that a county that calls itself a footballing won could sit in the roll of honour basement!   ;D

straightred

If you want a scary comparison the Buffalo Bills lost 4 Superbowls in a row in the early 90s and have never managed to win one

Crete Boom

Galway lost three in a row at the start of the 1940's but if the form lines hold we will be out on our own with 4 final losses in 6 years. THe Bills comparison is a good one but realy the amount of high draft picks they have had it's a joke they are crap since the 90's. I don't think they have won a a playoff game since 98 or so!!

blast05

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 28, 2017, 01:44:14 PM
In the first final last year after 33 minutes the score was Dublin 2-1, Mayo 0-4. The Dublin goals were the 2 OG's. I said it before the semi's and I will say it again, people have short memories, Mayo are the only team who can trouble the Dubs, they have proven it two years in succession. They have every chance of winning this one.

When are people going to stop this rubbish about Mayo conceding two "own goals" last year. There is no such thing as the concept of an "own goal" in Gaelic football. Dublin's two goals were brought about by incessant pressure from the Dublin forwards and still count as three points any day of the week.

Bizarre analysis ... truely bizarre.
Should they introduce a new category in soccer too ..... "not really an own goal because the team had a lot of the possession in the few minutes leading up to the (ex own) goal being scored"

As for 'incessant pressure' .... i know the winners write the history but that comment is ridiculous.

APM

Complete nonsense: Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7QBhpUMgdc

The ball wouldn't have went in the net for either goal without the unfortunate touch of Mayo defenders.  On each occasion the Mayo defence had outnumbered the Dublin forwards.  For the first one, the ball was going wide before it was accidentally turned into the net.  For the second one, the great pressure provided by Dublin involved the forward dropping the ball just as he was about to be tackled. 

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: blast05 on August 28, 2017, 03:00:21 PM

Should they introduce a new category in soccer too ..... "not really an own goal because the team had a lot of the possession in the few minutes leading up to the (ex own) goal being scored"

As for 'incessant pressure' .... i know the winners write the history but that comment is ridiculous.

No, what's bizarre is to speak of these goals as if they two presents to Dublin from a very generous Mayo team. They were goals created by Dublin pressure and Mayo defensive mistakes - just like every other goal.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Captain Obvious

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 28, 2017, 04:16:29 PM
Quote from: blast05 on August 28, 2017, 03:00:21 PM

No, what's bizarre is to speak of these goals as if they two presents to Dublin from a very generous Mayo team. They were goals created by Dublin pressure and Mayo defensive mistakes - just like every other goal.

They wouldn't have been goals if the ball didn't hit off McLoughlin and Boyle. They were two OGs whatever way you want to look at it.

seafoid

If Mayo get the heads right I think they can beat Dublin.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tonto1888

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 28, 2017, 02:30:00 PM

Could be worse if you were stuck on 1 solitary AI win like Armagh. Shameful that a county that calls itself a footballing won could sit in the roll of honour basement!   ;D

Could be worse. Your county could have just got drubbed in an AI SF after boasting how they were the only team who could take down the dubs