Dublin U21's Withdraw from Club Championship

Started by screenexile, April 20, 2017, 12:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Estimator

Some of those lads (Basquel, as an example) would have played 3 Sigerson Cup games (Quarter Final, Semi Final, Final) inside 10 days back in February. I'm sure that they didn't think twice about it then.

Donegal attempted to get their semi-final with Dublin postponed as it came only 5 days after their Ulster final victory over Derry.  They were told that this couldn't happen as Dublin had their 1st Round of Club Championship matches scheduled for the following week.  Now these lads have pulled out of the Club C'ship.  I'm sure the Donegal lads wouldn't be impressed with this.
Ulster League Champions 2009

The Trap

I know - postpone the under 21 final until about October time and play away at the club championship! Ridiculous eh???????? That's what happens club players up and down the country!

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 20, 2017, 02:26:18 PM
Well you can't mean County players because a) they don't have many u21 championship matches, and b) u21 championships are nearly all midweek.

And if you are seriously suggesting that clubs need to fold up tents if they need u21s to field teams, then you are absolutely raving. I'd say 80% of the clubs in Ireland use u21s to play on their adult teams.

This applies to minors as well, and I don't know what you're talking about re U21s - there are several weekend U21 championship/league (club/county) and pre-season games every year. It happening at all should be a red flag for anyone that is trying to look after players.

Fielding a team should be far below the duty of care that clubs and county teams have but it's so obvious that the priorities are reversed for most teams.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on April 20, 2017, 02:38:10 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 20, 2017, 02:26:18 PM
Well you can't mean County players because a) they don't have many u21 championship matches, and b) u21 championships are nearly all midweek.

And if you are seriously suggesting that clubs need to fold up tents if they need u21s to field teams, then you are absolutely raving. I'd say 80% of the clubs in Ireland use u21s to play on their adult teams.

This applies to minors and seniors as well, and I don't know what you're talking about re U21s - there are several weekend U21 championship/league (club/county) and pre-season games every year. It happening at all should be a red flag for anyone that is trying to look after players.

Fielding a team should be far below the duty of care that clubs and county teams have but it's so obvious that the priorities are reversed in most teams.

County U21 Championship games are not played on a Saturday by and large.  You said you regularly see County U21 players playing league games the day after u21 Championship matches. I don't see that.

stew

The club should always be the focal point of the asocuation, the clubs and county boards shoukd be workung together with the county management agreeing that they have to free players up for club games if the player wants to play for his club team.

To me the decision to play a club game a week before an AI final should be left up to the player himself, and he should never get dropped by either party for making that decision!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Esmarelda

Quote from: The Trap on April 20, 2017, 01:36:42 PM
Esmarelda and Maroon Manc typify all that is wrong with the GAA - put the elite on a pedestal and feck the rest!
Yes, because that's exactly what we're trying to do.  ::)

As that other elitist Maroon Manc says in a subsequent post, as the Dublin Championship is knockout, this first round should have been scheduled after the U21AIF given Dublin's chances of reaching the final. They can easily catch up by playing club games in between their Leinster Senior Championship games such is the ease at which they should win them.
Quote from: The Trap on April 20, 2017, 02:34:42 PM
I know - postpone the under 21 final until about October time and play away at the club championship! Ridiculous eh???????? That's what happens club players up and down the country!
Does anyone disagree that this is ridiculous? What's ridiculous is your comparison of this scenario and what the Dublin players are being faced with this week.

sid waddell

Total separation of the inter-county and club seasons is the only answer. The new schedule as and from next year probably doesn't go far enough in doing that.

Scheduling club championship games for "gaps" that may or may not occur is a fool's game.

Dessie Farrell is entirely correct to want his players together this weekend for preparation.

Farrell doesn't own them, but then again their clubs don't own them either, and the U-21 final is clearly more important.

The county board is obviously the main culprit here as this clash was entirely foreseeable.

Roll on the day when no senior club championship begins before August 1st. That's the way it should be and is the only way.

magpie seanie

This is terrible stuff altogether. As always the club is the one that will suffer. I'm sure Mr Farrell had lads playing Sat/Sun and Wed during the Sigerson/NFL/Leinster Championship period and he got on with it. The rulebook is quite clear (rule 6.22 (a)) that 7 days is the maximum amount of time that players are restricted from playing for their clubs prior to an All-Ireland U21 Final and Mr Farrell is quite au fait with it. If he doesn't think it's adequate he had many years that he could have changed it. He's breaking the rules by stopping his players playing and carry on like this is the single biggest issue in our fixtures quagmire. And I'm sure that when the fixtures calendar was brought out Mr Farrell was aware of this. He probably just shrugged his shoulders and thought - if we get there I'll just pull the players.

People saying postpone the club games - do you know when they can be played? Should DCB use a free weekend that the other 99.5% of players might have planned something for at this stage? It's not ideal but the players should play their club games.

6th sam

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 20, 2017, 04:33:51 PM
This is terrible stuff altogether. As always the club is the one that will suffer. I'm sure Mr Farrell had lads playing Sat/Sun and Wed during the Sigerson/NFL/Leinster Championship period and he got on with it. The rulebook is quite clear (rule 6.22 (a)) that 7 days is the maximum amount of time that players are restricted from playing for their clubs prior to an All-Ireland U21 Final and Mr Farrell is quite au fait with it. If he doesn't think it's adequate he had many years that he could have changed it. He's breaking the rules by stopping his players playing and carry on like this is the single biggest issue in our fixtures quagmire. And I'm sure that when the fixtures calendar was brought out Mr Farrell was aware of this. He probably just shrugged his shoulders and thought - if we get there I'll just pull the players.

People saying postpone the club games - do you know when they can be played? Should DCB use a free weekend that the other 99.5% of players might have planned something for at this stage? It's not ideal but the players should play their club games.
What about the players? Young lads are  preparing for an All Ireland. Expecting them to go full tilt in club championship risking injury is unfair in my opinion, never mind diluting some of the all Ireland sparkle and enjoyment with this controversy and potential bad blood with the "clubs that reared them"
The only system that respects all and protects players is having periods where county squads are not available to their clubs but play several county games at their level. Club football goes ahead during these periods but only less prestigious club games. Then when the county season ( or block) is over all players return to their clubs for the prestigious fixtures e.g. Extended Championship . Anything short of this , will always create problems.
Again , the current system favours Dublin whose clubs ( due to their size) are unlikely to be as dependent on u21 players.
No disrespect to Dublin (and they've availed of their advantages well),  The GAA has created a monster and a two-tier system . With financial, numerical  and provincial discrimination as it stands , the GAA needs to be careful it doesn't bite off the hand that feeds it i.e. Rural Ireland .

ck

Dessie Farrell behind this move. Disgraceful and shoukd not be tolerated. Sooner the CPA get their act together the better.

Rossfan

How would the CPA stop this?
They've already discovered fixture making is more complicated than they thought. (See Super 8s thread).
Dublin CB could have avoided this by playing their first 2 Rounds of Championship fixtures on 7/5 and 21/5. Another round 11/6.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

omagh_gael

This is the total fault of Dublin County board. How they lacked the foresight to see this potential clash is astonishing. All that needed to be done was hold off until next week and start the county championship. Now the players/clubs will take a pile of flack over a ridiculously difficult decision they were forced to take.

ck

Quote from: Rossfan on April 20, 2017, 06:32:00 PM
How would the CPA stop this?
They've already discovered fixture making is more complicated than they thought. (See Super 8s thread).
Dublin CB could have avoided this by playing their first 2 Rounds of Championship fixtures on 7/5 and 21/5. Another round 11/6.

CPA need to be heard. They have been ignored thus far. Club players strikes will be the only way they'll gain respect in Croke Park. I work with a county board provincial delegate and he just laughs at CPA as being toothless. This needs to change

Rossfan

CPA say they're talking to the GAA.
A strike by club players would be immaterial to the vast majority of people.
It would give refs and other match officials a grand holiday, it would save administrators having to go to fixtures meetings, prepare pitches, appoint ref's etcetera.
Then the players would have to play a load of back games......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mrdeeds

Ballyboden have u21s playing. One went of injured I think.