Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcpen

I liked Banshees, thought it was very good.
This is one of my 3 usernames.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 13, 2023, 10:37:01 AM
Quote from: J70 on January 13, 2023, 12:32:36 AM
I thought Belfast was very good.

Especially as I wasn't expecting much after the feedback from this place.

I watched it pretty soon after it was released, so maybe had higher expectations given the media talk about it. Sometimes movies automatically get credit for simply being focused on key historical events, irrelevant of how good the actual movie is.

Actually watched two Northern Ireland films over the past few years that I thought were brilliant, and more enjoyable than Belfast and Banshees. One was Bad Day for the Cut and the other was Nightride.

Bad day for the Cut is very good alright.

Orior

The Swimmers on Netflix is worth a watch.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

lurganblue

Quote from: jcpen on January 13, 2023, 10:38:54 AM
I liked Banshees, thought it was very good.

Watched it on Sat myself. Thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish, while the wife uttered "what the f**k is this" 30 mins into the show. Seems to be marmite

johnnycool

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on January 13, 2023, 12:57:25 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 13, 2023, 10:37:01 AM
Quote from: J70 on January 13, 2023, 12:32:36 AM
I thought Belfast was very good.

Especially as I wasn't expecting much after the feedback from this place.

I watched it pretty soon after it was released, so maybe had higher expectations given the media talk about it. Sometimes movies automatically get credit for simply being focused on key historical events, irrelevant of how good the actual movie is.

Actually watched two Northern Ireland films over the past few years that I thought were brilliant, and more enjoyable than Belfast and Banshees. One was Bad Day for the Cut and the other was Nightride.

Bad day for the Cut is very good alright.

:o

Capt Pat

Banshees just got 8 or 9 oscar nominations. I haven't seen it but it can't be that bad with all those nominations.

Tyrdub

Banshees is brilliant, as is All Quiet on the Western Front

watched Coda over Christmas, thought it was very good

nrico2006

Quote from: Capt Pat on January 24, 2023, 02:05:41 PM
Banshees just got 8 or 9 oscar nominations. I haven't seen it but it can't be that bad with all those nominations.

Been many a dung film to get a lot of nominations, Mad Max being a recent one that jumps out.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Capt Pat

I watched banshees tonight and have mixed feelings about it. I can see what people might like about it but it wasn't really my cup of tea. It could still do well on oscars night.

AustinPowers

Good or bad , banshees  will make it harder   to get  accommodation on  Achill and the Aran islands.  Two great spots that I  love to visit.

I imagine people will  flock to both places  this year  because of the film

bennydorano

Watched a random movie on Netflix last night - Drive (2011), dunno how I missed that first time round, great movie, lots of A list cast members, highly stylised, some good music as well.

smort

Quote from: bennydorano on February 08, 2023, 03:45:51 PM
Watched a random movie on Netflix last night - Drive (2011), dunno how I missed that first time round, great movie, lots of A list cast members, highly stylised, some good music as well.

Under a rock benny, sensational soundtrack

nrico2006

Quote from: smort on February 08, 2023, 03:58:55 PM

My favourite film of all time, went to cinema on my own to see it and only soundtrack I ever bought. One of only 2 blu-rays I bought at full whack too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Captain Scarlet

What are the views of Aftersun? Thought it was excellent and Mescal was brilliant in it.
Really slow burn and it's one that stays with you.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

bennydorano

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 08, 2023, 05:16:12 PM
Quote from: smort on February 08, 2023, 03:58:55 PM

My favourite film of all time, went to cinema on my own to see it and only soundtrack I ever bought. One of only 2 blu-rays I bought at full whack too.
Have went down the Kavinsky music rabbit hole, dunno how I missed him  as I seem drawn to French dance music over the years. Daft punk, Sebastian Tellier, Air (& the Darkel offshoot).If you haven't already, check out Air's  Moon Safari album, my all time N1. Deadly the way some sound tracks just grab you, the Lost in Translation soundtrack is unreal imo, and Air's Virgin Suicides soundtrack is another favourite of mine.