Minor All Ireland Football Championship 2023

Started by Blowitupref, May 26, 2023, 07:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derryman forever

Quote from: straightred on May 29, 2023, 08:58:00 AM
Quote from: OakLeaf on May 28, 2023, 11:50:08 PM
The referee kept Monaghan in that game. Some shockers
Jesus wept. The paranoia in derry transfers from the seniors to the minors i see. Is this the same ref that disallowed what looked like a perfect Monaghan goal early in the 2nd half?
Maybe if there's a ref among so we could clear that up. The forward was clearly outside the line when the keeper kicked the kickout. The forward gained possession inside the line so the ball didn't travel the full 13m. What's the rule here, does the ball need to travel 13m before a player from either team can touch it?
https://twitter.com/GAAKeeperCoach/status/1662881020515962881

The ball has to travel over the D line before it csn be touched.
Had a derry plsyer infringed it would hsve bern a ball up.
But since it was a monaghan player who committed the error , derry were given a free out. Seems fair to me.
I dont buy into the ref punishing Derry. But am of the opinion Derry were far to soft in the tackle looking for frees and feigning injury.
But they were the better team and really didnt know when to close the game out.
Why the goalie didn't just get the ball as far away from goal in his last kiickout is beyond me. Poor direction from the sideline i imagine.

westbound

Quote from: Derryman forever on May 29, 2023, 11:49:25 AM
Jesus wept. The paranoia in derry transfers from the seniors to the minors i see. Is this the same ref that disallowed what looked like a perfect Monaghan goal early in the 2nd half?
Maybe if there's a ref among so we could clear that up. The forward was clearly outside the line when the keeper kicked the kickout. The forward gained possession inside the line so the ball didn't travel the full 13m. What's the rule here, does the ball need to travel 13m before a player from either team can touch it?

But since it was a monaghan player who committed the error , derry were given a free out. Seems fair to me.

I dont buy into the ref punishing Derry. But am of the opinion Derry were far to soft in the tackle looking for frees and feigning injury.
Why the goalie didn't just get the ball as far away from goal in his last kiickout is beyond me. Poor direction from the sideline i imagine.

this is not correct.

The forward MUST start outside the D when the ball is kicked, BUT is allowed to go into the D to collect the ball. It does not have to travel 13 metres before a forward touches the ball.

Sleater

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 29, 2023, 08:41:45 AM
Quote from: marty34 on May 29, 2023, 07:29:20 AM
Quote from: DhoireTheas on May 29, 2023, 02:38:05 AM
Martin O'Neill still talks about the penalty he missed for the minors in the 1970 All Ireland semi final.

I find it hard to get interested in minor football especially now that they are only 16 and 17. I think the very small attendance shows that some people feel the same.

Be interesting to see how many of these players, from bith sides, have a prolonged inter-county career at senior level.

Out of the, say 40 lads, it could be very minimal.

Was thinking the same post game and I'd say possibly 2 from Derry and maybe 4-5 from Monaghan. Monaghan looked to have the bigger more athletic players whereas Derry were better footballers.

It's always hard to know how many will make the grade at senior - injuries, work, travel, just pure interest in doing it, and a manager that rates them are all variables. From what I seen of the Monaghan minor team, McGinnity, Finn, Mooney, Carolan and Mallen all look to have significant ability and have the potential to be senior inter county players.  5 prospects making the grade would be an excellent return from this minor team. Meehan and McKenna are underage next year and look decent too.

straightred

Quote from: Derryman forever on May 29, 2023, 11:49:25 AM

David Gough thinks otherwise. What hope have we if we cant get agreement on the rules. My own view is that it should have stood. The keeper made the mistake - these are the risks you take with a short kick out. I don't think we can say it affected the result though - there was plenty of time left. The Derry keeper had an up and down day. His mistake caused extra time too. However he then went on to win the shoot out for them and he had a few good saves in the game.

Good point about the injuries. Derry #12 was the biggest culprit

Derryman forever

I have seen Derry being penalised this year  because the derry player entered the D to pick up the ball . It resultrd in a throw up.
I believe this is the correct interpretation of the rule.

westbound

Quote from: Derryman forever on May 29, 2023, 01:25:47 PM
I have seen Derry being penalised this year  because the derry player entered the D to pick up the ball . It resultrd in a throw up.

if its a derry kick out, then yes.
The ball must travel 13metres before being touched by a player on the same team.

It doesn't have to travel 13 metres before being touched by an opponent, as long as the opponent was more than 13 metres away (i.e. outside the D for a kickout) when the ball was kicked.

twohands!!!

Quote from: westbound on May 29, 2023, 01:30:20 PM

The ball must travel 13metres before being touched by a player on the same team.

It doesn't have to travel 13 metres before being touched by an opponent, as long as the opponent was more than 13 metres away (i.e. outside the D for a kickout) when the ball was kicked.

This is the rule as per the current rule book.

QuoteIf the goalkeeper is not taking the kick-out, he shall stay in the small rectangle, and all other players, except the player taking the kick-out, shall be outside the 20m line, outside the semicircular arc and 13m from the ball until it has been kicked.

The ball shall travel not less than 13m and outside the 20m line before being played by another player of the defending team.

Derryman forever

Quote from: twohands!!! on May 29, 2023, 03:52:54 PM

QuoteIf the goalkeeper is not taking the kick-out, he shall stay in the small rectangle, and all other players, except the player taking the kick-out, shall be outside the 20m line, outside the semicircular arc and 13m from the ball until it has been kicked.

The ball shall travel not less than 13m and outside the 20m line before being played by another player of the defending team.

So an attacking player may run into the D and intercept theball while the defender must not attempt to prevent that happening.
I don't think so.
The ball has to  travel outside the D before anyone can touch it

straightred

Quote from: Derryman forever on May 29, 2023, 04:21:36 PM

So an attacking player may run into the D and intercept theball while the defender must not attempt to prevent that happening.
I don't think so.

David Gough (who should know) said that only the defender couldn't touch it so I'm inclined to believe him.

Louther

I don't think so.

David Cough must be wrong then  ::)

It makes sense once the opponent is 13m prior to kick. What would happen if the keeper miskicked it and it travels inside the D and stops? Of course the attacker can play ball and defender can't, otherwise the play would freeze or the keeper would get off with it. Same as if a free taker kicks a free short, once the opponent the distance away before the free taken, he can then move after the ball is struck.

delgany

Quote from: Louther on May 29, 2023, 04:30:01 PM

I don't think so.

David Cough must be wrong then  ::)

It makes sense once the opponent is 13m prior to kick. What would happen if the keeper miskicked it and it travels inside the D and stops? Of course the attacker can play ball and defender can't, otherwise the play would freeze or the keeper would get off with it. Same as if a free taker kicks a free short, once the opponent the distance away before the free taken, he can then move after the ball is struck.
Technically, the gk can kick it a second time !

Derryman forever

Who am i to argue with David Gough?
But if he is right the rule is stupid.

westbound

Derryman, of course he is right.

Why is a stupid rule?

Think about it if the rule stated that the ball must travel 13m before being touched by anyone else.
Goalie kicks the ball, it travels 10metres. The goalie sits on his arse for 20minutes and says no-one can touch the ball until it travels 13metres.
Perfect way to protect a lead! 😃