NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Quote from: J70 on March 06, 2023, 01:15:31 PM
Quote from: God14 on March 06, 2023, 12:31:11 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 06, 2023, 12:22:42 PM
I think it's quite a good league for Galway in building on last year and giving the half forwards the chance to develop, bring a few players on, develop momentum in the absence of the full forward line and prepare for the championship. The relegation in 2021 was really an anomaly because Galway were a Division 1 team in Division 2 last year. I don't know when the last time a D2 team reached the all Ireland final was.

Armagh 2002?

Donegal reached the final in 2014 after being promoted earlier in the year.

Mayo 2021

seafoid

Positions shifted a lot over the week

After round 4, 5 to 8 were

Monaghan
Armagh
Donegal
Tyrone

After the weekend 5-8 were
Kerry
Tyrone
Monaghan
Donegal

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Watcher

tyrone08

Jack on crying about tyrone free count. Maybe if he coached his players on how to tackle instead of trying to take their heads off it might head. Stopping cynical tackling would also lower the amount of frees they give away.

He seems to do some about of complaining when kerry lose.

From the Bunker

Quote from: tyrone08 on March 06, 2023, 08:02:27 PM
Jack on crying about tyrone free count. Maybe if he coached his players on how to tackle instead of trying to take their heads off it might head. Stopping cynical tackling would also lower the amount of frees they give away.

He seems to do some about of complaining when kerry lose.

He's just a bad loser, better than being a good loser!

WhoDat

galway are just quietly going about their business in the league without too much fuss and without two of their top players for the most part. they're tipping along and doing just enough. grinding out results in sticky battles too, which will stand to them. they're going to go very well in the championship this year. only issue with them is the constant faking of injuries either trying to get opposition players carded or time wasting. their team doctor spends more time on the pitch than any of their subs.

Wildweasel74

On review of the Peter Cooke sending off, what he done was very stupid but on TV there, it looked like the Monaghan man was holding him down with a semi head lock in the ground. No action against the Monaghan lad. Seriously what was Seal Kelly at, lying down like that.

Main Street

Quote from: Manning18 on March 06, 2023, 12:31:44 AM
Quote from: Main Street on March 05, 2023, 11:17:32 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 05, 2023, 03:17:54 PM
I say unless there a miracle Donegal and Monaghan be going down.
Monaghan have never needed miracles to beat Tyrone in the league. We can't possibly play as bad as that 2nd half performance  in Galway and notwithstanding it took Galway ages to get that game closing goal, even that had to handed on a plate to them.

Galway controlled that game handily and had it not been for a moment of madness (that the ref should've sorted far earlier) and 4/5 Beggan punts from soft frees, it probably would've been a double figure scoreline. Galway missed a gilt edged goal chance 15 mins before their actual one on 63 mins, and fisted another when a goal chance was glaring. Not sure Monaghan got within sight of a goal
Galway controlled all the second half yet it took the gifted goal near the end to put the required distance, from 2 points to 5. It was the worst half Monaghan have played this year, so I wouldnt start counting chickens just yet and considering Monaghan's shooting was much more wasteful in front of goal than Galway's. Nevertheless, we won't be relegating you this year. :)

Rossfan

I wouldn't be surprised if the Rhubarbs now give up on the League giving Monaghan and Donegal 2 handy points >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

balladmaker

Galway are safe on 6 pts anyway, hopefully won't be too interested in collecting the points in Armagh ... sure they need to think ahead to the 2024 league and 6000 Armagh supporters landing into Salthill for the weekend, bonanza for the local economy.  Galway lads will hopefully see the bigger picture  ;D

Manning18

Quote from: Main Street on March 06, 2023, 09:29:04 PM
Monaghan have never needed miracles to beat Tyrone in the league. We can't possibly play as bad as that 2nd half performance  in Galway and notwithstanding it took Galway ages to get that game closing goal, even that had to handed on a plate to them.

Galway controlled that game handily and had it not been for a moment of madness (that the ref should've sorted far earlier) and 4/5 Beggan punts from soft frees, it probably would've been a double figure scoreline. Galway missed a gilt edged goal chance 15 mins before their actual one on 63 mins, and fisted another when a goal chance was glaring. Not sure Monaghan got within sight of a goal
Galway controlled all the second half yet it took the gifted goal near the end to put the required distance, from 2 points to 5. It was the worst half Monaghan have played this year, so I wouldnt start counting chickens just yet and considering Monaghan's shooting was much more wasteful in front of goal than Galway's. Nevertheless, we won't be relegating you this year. :)

Ah, that year you broke the covid rules and got rewarded with a home relegation playoff in a game of inches. A tough one to take at the time alright, but one of the best things to happen in hindsight. There's great momentum in winning, and it lasted for the vast majority of last year.

You should have nothing to be worried about as long as you're confident you'll get straight back up. I do hope Monaghan stay up though, that lengthy stretch in D1 is a great achievement

Manning18

Quote from: balladmaker on March 07, 2023, 12:05:53 AM
Galway are safe on 6 pts anyway, hopefully won't be too interested in collecting the points in Armagh ... sure they need to think ahead to the 2024 league and 6000 Armagh supporters landing into Salthill for the weekend, bonanza for the local economy.  Galway lads will hopefully see the bigger picture  ;D

I think Armagh will edge this one. Two even teams and Armagh should have a motivation edge, with Galway being safe as you say, plus possibly the hint of revenge from last summer. Home advantage seems to be important in this league also. I kind of fancy Galway to be well up for the Kerry game the week after for similar reasons but like Armagh in this one.

Looking forward to heading up though. Atmosphere always looks cracking up there. The return leg could potentially be one of Galways first Saturday evening games with lights due to be installed next year. Town would be hopping that evening. Just prepare for some wind and rain!

Main Street

Quote from: Manning18 on March 07, 2023, 12:45:35 AM

Ah, that year you broke the covid rules and got rewarded with a home relegation playoff in a game of inches. A tough one to take at the time alright, but one of the best things to happen in hindsight. There's great momentum in winning, and it lasted for the vast majority of last year.

You should have nothing to be worried about as long as you're confident you'll get straight back up. I do hope Monaghan stay up though, that lengthy stretch in D1 is a great achievement
Monaghan were punished for breaking covid rules and served their time which afterwards ended up in a play off in Clones. When you are beaten fair and square on the field of play you should take it on the chin like us Monaghan folk are well used to ;)
Just take on board  that this year you failed to beat both Roscommon and Donegal,  which we managed handily enough. The league is not a consistent affair but about who manages to stay afloat after 7 games.

seafoid

Quote from: Main Street on March 07, 2023, 01:05:47 AM
Quote from: Manning18 on March 07, 2023, 12:45:35 AM

Monaghan were punished for breaking covid rules and served their time which afterwards ended up in a play off in Clones. When you are beaten fair and square on the field of play you should take it on the chin like us Monaghan folk are well used to ;)
Just take on board  that this year you failed to beat both Roscommon and Donegal,  which we managed handily enough. The league is not a consistent affair but about who manages to stay afloat after 7 games.
8 points may not be enough for safety.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

illdecide

8pts is safety...Unless i've done my calculations wrong due to fixtures against each other it's not possible to be relegated on 8pts.

I know it's not for another 10 days or so and it'll heat up next week but i really like this Galway team and if they get a bit of steel about them they certainly have the players to win an All Ireland, I think Armagh can beat them next week but only because Galway may well have their eye on another game in the Championship. If Galway come to Armagh next week looking 2pts and hungry for them they will beat Armagh based on current form, Armagh have played none the year and I'm pleasantly surprised they have 5pts so far as their performances have been below par for me. They have a lot of injuries atm but I doubt any team is playing with their full deck at this stage as there is always someone suspended or injured. Maybe this could be the game where things click for them and both teams have a qer rattle at each other and see who can out gun the other (wishful thinking...it'll be another boring orange wall around the 45m line)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch