The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Quote from: Snapchap on March 10, 2023, 07:50:12 AM
Quote from: weareros on March 09, 2023, 06:10:43 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 09, 2023, 05:03:35 PM
They're shouting it's f**ked while f**king it at the same time. Clever when you think about it...

I don't think that super majority is going to be a thing. It was Ian Og taking the piss as he usually does.

While it's Paisley taking the piss, the Tories had already been discussing changing rules for a Scottish Indy referendum to a super majority. He will get support for this. The DUP and TUV have no interest in protecting the GFA. They never supported it. They have been angling for awhile to change what consent means. It means a simple majority for constitutional change and Dublin/Nationalist parties need to stay awake.

Dublin parties would be quite happy to move away from 50%+1. In fact they regularly voice such support. Micheal Martin has spoken of his desire for a wholly undemocratic and anti-GFA "parallel consent" mechanism while Varadkar has repeatedly stated the view that 50%+1 would not be a success.

Both FF and FG are vocal advocates of what essentially is a unionist veto of a pro unity vote.

It's funny because  you always  hear the line about Britain don't want the north and would get rid if they could. Same with   the south  though , they clearly don't  want the north . The people maybe, but  not the establishment. 

balladmaker

Quote from: AustinPowers on March 10, 2023, 12:34:35 PM
They're shouting it's f**ked while f**king it at the same time. Clever when you think about it...

I don't think that super majority is going to be a thing. It was Ian Og taking the piss as he usually does.

While it's Paisley taking the piss, the Tories had already been discussing changing rules for a Scottish Indy referendum to a super majority. He will get support for this. The DUP and TUV have no interest in protecting the GFA. They never supported it. They have been angling for awhile to change what consent means. It means a simple majority for constitutional change and Dublin/Nationalist parties need to stay awake.

Dublin parties would be quite happy to move away from 50%+1. In fact they regularly voice such support. Micheal Martin has spoken of his desire for a wholly undemocratic and anti-GFA "parallel consent" mechanism while Varadkar has repeatedly stated the view that 50%+1 would not be a success.

Both FF and FG are vocal advocates of what essentially is a unionist veto of a pro unity vote.

It's funny because  you always  hear the line about Britain don't want the north and would get rid if they could. Same with   the south  though , they clearly don't  want the north . The people maybe, but  not the establishment.

Next election should sort that out hopefully.

seafoid

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 10, 2023, 11:01:05 AM
What always bugs me is the hypocrisy of unionism, its as if all the evil since partition was down to the "minority" without whom this "wee country" would be paradise. It bugs me even more that no-one ever calls this out, not the media, not the SDLP, not Alliance and SF only in very limited circumstances and then very quietly. Nationalists have be tip toeing around unionism for a century, it is no longer the "minority" a term UU politicians of old used in the most perforative fashion. Equality can no longer be a one way street.
The other thing that gets me is Protestant emigration and why nothing is ever done about it. They don't actually care.  It doesn't make sense
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Feckitt

Growing up It was common to hear the Catholic community referred to as the minority community,  Usually by some arsehole Secretary of State.  It is a very colonial phrase.

It is no longer in use for obvious reasons.  There no longer is a majority community and every other reason for the existence of Northern Ireland is defunct. 

The Time For Unity is Now.

pbat

Quote from: seafoid on March 10, 2023, 01:34:40 PM
What always bugs me is the hypocrisy of unionism, its as if all the evil since partition was down to the "minority" without whom this "wee country" would be paradise. It bugs me even more that no-one ever calls this out, not the media, not the SDLP, not Alliance and SF only in very limited circumstances and then very quietly. Nationalists have be tip toeing around unionism for a century, it is no longer the "minority" a term UU politicians of old used in the most perforative fashion. Equality can no longer be a one way street.
The other thing that gets me is Protestant emigration and why nothing is ever done about it. They don't actually care.  It doesn't make sense
I'm doing a course at UU and there is 120 at a lecture on a Monday, from going through the class register and the amount of GAA tops in it each week I conservatively put it at 100/20 wee Fenians.

gallsman

Quote from: pbat on March 10, 2023, 02:13:54 PM
I'm doing a course at UU and there is 120 at a lecture on a Monday, from going through the class register and the amount of GAA tops in it each week I conservatively put it at 100/20 wee Fenians.

And no doubt Jim Allister will be along again soon to describe the universities in the north as "cold houses for unionism" or similar, when what he's really pissed off about is them uppity taigs daring to go and get themselves an education.

Rossfan

Quote from: balladmaker on March 10, 2023, 01:03:40 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on March 10, 2023, 12:34:35 PM

Next election should sort that out hopefully.

What do you think is going to happen? :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

marty34

Quote from: gallsman on March 10, 2023, 04:18:45 PM

And no doubt Jim Allister will be along again soon to describe the universities in the north as "cold houses for unionism" or similar, when what he's really pissed off about is them uppity taigs daring to go and get themselves an education.

Nationalists shouldn't be pandering to unioniats now.

Get the national flag up in every nationalist controlled council now I say.

Brendan

Quote from: marty34 on March 10, 2023, 05:20:47 PM

Then those of use who are unfortunate enough to live in a Unionist controlled district have to suffer the consequences  >:(

Sportacus

Quote from: Brendan on March 10, 2023, 07:13:01 PM

Then those of use who are unfortunate enough to live in a Unionist controlled district have to suffer the consequences  >:(
Marty, you're not exactly out thinking them with that.

Milltown Row2

A hell of a lot of students from a Protestant background go to college across the water. Not sure of the figures though

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Sportacus on March 10, 2023, 08:42:09 PM

And?

Sportacus

Quote from: marty34 on March 10, 2023, 09:53:57 PM

And?
Wouldn't you like to offer something better than matching up their efforts to plaster the place with flags?

ardtole

I'd like to think as a community we would approach these matters in a more mature and responsible manner than the dup & Tuv have, and unionism in general to be fair.

I think its important that we learn from the mistakes unionism has made and that  we are more tolerant and inclusive when we have a majority. And I honestly think we will be. I can never see a Jim Allister/Sammy Wilson/Gregory Campbell type character dominating republican or nationalist politics.

marty34

Quote from: Sportacus on March 10, 2023, 10:14:25 PM
Quote from: marty34 on March 10, 2023, 09:53:57 PM

And?
Wouldn't you like to offer something better than matching up their efforts to plaster the place with flags?

Sorry, I meant in the district offices only.