Mobile Roaming Charges

Started by balladmaker, June 25, 2016, 12:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Presently on holiday in Spain, using mobile as normal as at home due to new roaming caps since April 30th.  According to these new charges, cost for data can be no more that 0.05 per Mb more than your home package.  However, I'm still getting periodic texts from Vodafone saying that I've ran up another £5 roaming charge, now at a total of £30.  Not doing any excessive surfing, no videos, just usual stuff as I would at home.

Any ideas why Vodafone are still applying excessive roaming charges despite the newer rates?  Thanks in advance.

Nigel White

armaghniac

Most likely you've  subscribed to some Vodafone package,  so aren't in the EU  rates.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Roaming charges in the EU scrapped from today. At least, until Brexit. Maybe the DUP can ask that we're still exempt from them being reimposed before the UK leaves Europe/falls apart.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

BennyCake

Sure they'll hardly be in the South to incur roaming charges.

Kilkevan

Quote from: balladmaker on June 25, 2016, 12:39:52 PM
Presently on holiday in Spain, using mobile as normal as at home due to new roaming caps since April 30th.  According to these new charges, cost for data can be no more that 0.05 per Mb more than your home package.  However, I'm still getting periodic texts from Vodafone saying that I've ran up another £5 roaming charge, now at a total of £30.  Not doing any excessive surfing, no videos, just usual stuff as I would at home.

Any ideas why Vodafone are still applying excessive roaming charges despite the newer rates?  Thanks in advance.

Best guess is your phone is updating apps in the background. That could use a significant amount of data depending on the types/amount of apps you have. The other idea would be that you simply don't realise how much data you use normally. That's not a criticism of you, most people wouldn't either. Using apps like Tunein or Deezer would crank up your data usage pretty quickly even without video in terms of MB. These days a MB is nothing in terms of internet usage, even a basic hour of surfing would chew 250MB+ on average. One final notion is that you might have your phone set to automatically back up photos/videos you take/record yourself to something like Google Drive, again that would eat your data.

Haha - just noticed the original message was from a year ago!

Be mad that following Brexit you could be on 3 Ireland in Crossmaglen and it costing you a fortune or in Estonia on the same network and it costing the same as at home.

armaghniac

I don't want to sound like Fearing, but it is disgrace and a reflection on the quality of politicians that we've had to wait 19 years after the GFA for the EU to prevent this price gouging.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B