Has Anyone Been to Madrid Lately?

Started by Lar Naparka, September 23, 2011, 03:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

My brother and his missus are going to Madrid early next month for a week's vacation.
They know next to nothing about the place and are looking for general information of any sort. Places to go to; pubs and restaurants; transport systems etc. etc.
Very few of their friends, me included, have not been able to help them much in this regard.

If any posters here can help out, I'd be grateful.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

andoireabu

was there a couple of years ago and would say the best way to get around is the metro.  1 euro gets you on and you can cross to different coloured lines at no extra charge.  There is a Warner Bros. theme park outside Madrid if they are into that sort of thing.  Its a train journey out of Madrid and would take the most of a day to get around.  In the city itself there is loads to see.  Brilliant architecture in old churches and parliament buildings and the Palace is a sight to see as well.  The Bernabau is good and there are probably tours around it if they are footie fans.  Metro station outside it as well.  The Parque del Retiro is also a nice place to go to.  Wee word of advice on food though.  When I ordered a burger they asked what way I wanted it cooked. I said medium to be safe and the thing came out pink with blood running out of it! Was still nice but taught me that our medium and theirs is different!  Hope this is of some use to the two of them
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Boycey

Spent a long weekend in it last year, not one of my favourites to be honest but passable none the less. Must sees are the Prado museum, Presidential Palace and Bernebau of course (my woman had to literally drag me out of it).

A lot of restaurants, bars etc in around the Sol area, we had a 9 year old with us so weren't exactly night-owls but I believe nightlife is good. Tube system was brilliant, easy to use and cheap we even used it to and from airport. A Euro a trip if I remmeber correctly..

A lot of beggars, hawkers and pickpockets about and they can be very agressive, a beggar woman tried to pin a flower onto my womans jacket and then demanded money for it and when my woman went for her purse to pay 3 of them got round her and tried to steal her bag. 

Geoff Tipps

Was there a few years ago for a weekend. Did a trip of the Bernabéu (R Madrid were playing away that weekend). It was a v enjoyable. There is access to all areas bar the home dressing room. I saw Atletico Mardrid in the evening at home to Barca. Picked up tickets at the ground - Calderon.
They city is well served by a Metro system so is very easy to get around. Tell them to nail their pockets shut. The Metro is notorious for dippers.
There's a nice area called Plaza Mayor. It's a square with bars and restaraunts along the side. Perfect for an evening drinking.
There's loads of palaces and churches dotted around the place. There is also a number of famous galleries which are worth a visit especially the Prado.

ross4life

Was also there a few years ago Puerta del Sol is the main area for going out countless bars and clubs, Saturday night is packed there.

Plenty of museums to visit some of Picasso,Goya best known paintings to be seen & the Royal Palace,Bernabeu (even you don't like soccer) & Retiro park are worth seeing. Good city but i liked Barcelona better.

With a group maybe renting out an apartment would best http://www.gomadrid.com/apartments/

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Hardy

Great city. Has that feel of the capitals of the former colonial powers, Paris, London, Rome, Berlin, etc. - imposing buildings and streets and a monumental scale to the place.  Great food from tapas to traditional Spanish fare. Botin Restaurant, Clle. Cuchillleros 17, just off Plaza Major claims to be the oldest restaurant in the world. Whatever about that, it's special and their speciality, roast suckling pig should not be missed. Advisable to book well in advance (like right now) as it's hard enough to get in. I can recommend a hotel, if required. Not central - about a 20-minute bus trip from Plaza Mayor, but good and very reasonably priced.

Lar Naparka

Thank you all very much who responded.
The brother and the sister-in-law have a better idea now of what lies before them.
The pair celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary recently and the older family members presented them with this holiday.
So they found themselves heading to somewhere they knew relatively little about at pretty short notice. They've a much clearer idea now of what to expect when they get there and I've no doubt they will make the most of their break away from it all.

(PS.  Hardy, as the flight and accommodation details have been taken care of already, they won't need to go looking for a hotel but I would appreciate it if you would let me know the name of it all the same.
Now that my interest has been aroused, I just might go for a look around sometime in the future I would certainly contact the place you recommend.)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi