China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: Taylor on January 12, 2021, 10:51:28 AM
Quote from: Angelo on January 12, 2021, 10:30:37 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 12, 2021, 10:12:34 AM
Quote from: Last Man on January 12, 2021, 09:44:46 AM
I get that MR but at the same time it's too important to leave it at that imho. I am not qualified to get in to it here but Google a few podcasts on metabolic health. Some of it can be heavy on the science and you might not agree with all of it. All the same there are common threads running through most of the discussion that I think can help us all.

I don't think there is any doubt collective personal health is to the benefit of the NHS longterm. A better diet by the population would be an incredible legacy however realistically, we are more likely to be on the rip all summer here (Which, considering....I don't blame anyone either).

Most people ignore how much obesity, smoking etc cost the NHS in finances because it's kinda been accepted I suppose, life being life nobody really cared. I really hope Covid however has helped some embrace a healthier way of living, the best way to boost your immunity is by being active, I don't think that can be in doubt.

Covid came along and put the Cat among the Pigeons though.

There's one way to tackle health issues related to alcohol, smoking and obesity - tax the f**k out of it.

If there is a will there is a way but that applies to everything.

We could have an efficient, properly functioning health service that looks after its citizens but the pockets of too many wealthy private interests have to get lined with millions.

And those lovely big pharma companies that some people on here are willing to swallow whatever they say have been proven in the past of fixing prices on drugs at extortionate rates and pricing people out of life saving treatment.

i would go further Angelo.....

If someone breaks lockdown and catches Covid I would refuse them admittance to hospital or at the very least charge them a f**king fortune.

And even better - if people refuse to take a vaccine (that has been proven to work) I would also refuse them entry to hospital should they need it (from Covid)
or charge them 1000's if they want treatment.

Really?

You'd charge someone £000s for not taking a vaccine we know very little about and its impacts? That's just pure unadulterated fascism right there. You want to charge people even more to use a dysfunctional health system that lines the pockets of big pharma companies who fix prices on life saving drugs at extortionate prices. Corporate companies who are happy to deny medical care to sick people in order to line their pockets with the money of hard working people?

That's some toxic outlook you have.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

HiMucker

I get that MR but at the same time it's too important to leave it at that imho. I am not qualified to get in to it here but Google a few podcasts on metabolic health. Some of it can be heavy on the science and you might not agree with all of it. All the same there are common threads running through most of the discussion that I think can help us all.

I don't think there is any doubt collective personal health is to the benefit of the NHS longterm. A better diet by the population would be an incredible legacy however realistically, we are more likely to be on the rip all summer here (Which, considering....I don't blame anyone either).

Most people ignore how much obesity, smoking etc cost the NHS in finances because it's kinda been accepted I suppose, life being life nobody really cared. I really hope Covid however has helped some embrace a healthier way of living, the best way to boost your immunity is by being active, I don't think that can be in doubt.

There's one way to tackle health issues related to alcohol, smoking and obesity - tax the f**k out of it.

We could have an efficient, properly functioning health service that looks after its citizens but the pockets of too many wealthy private interests have to get lined with millions.

And those lovely big pharma companies that some people on here are willing to swallow whatever they say have been proven in the past of fixing prices on drugs at extortionate rates and pricing people out of life saving treatment.

If someone breaks lockdown and catches Covid I would refuse them admittance to hospital or at the very least charge them a f**king fortune.

And even better - if people refuse to take a vaccine (that has been proven to work) I would also refuse them entry to hospital should they need it (from Covid)
Wise up. Where does it stop with that approach?

trailer

Hooked a few already I see.... Maith sibh!

Milltown Row2

If we tax people/companies/industries properly, and invest the money into better technology within the health service we'd be in a better place..

There is an entitlement with some people in relation to getting things for free and expecting it to be the best in the world, I just find it strange.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Is an extra £1 on a pack of cigarettes or bottle of wine much of a deterrent for someone on a doctor/lecturer/property developer salary? It's not just the lower classes who drink, smoke and eat crap, or use the health service.

You're right about the last bit though.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 12, 2021, 11:53:03 AM

If we tax people/companies/industries properly, and invest the money into better technology within the health service we'd be in a better place..

There is an entitlement with some people in relation to getting things for free and expecting it to be the best in the world, I just find it strange.

It's not really free though...

BennyCake

Who says it's been proven to work?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 12, 2021, 12:00:50 PM

Its free if you left school and joined the dole!  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 12, 2021, 12:04:24 PM

Do you think people on the dole don't pay VAT?

imtommygunn

Not when you're a high roller like you though ;)

I kind of agree with your point to a degree. It's two things though - a lack of funding and then where is the funding going when they get it. The people "on the ground" are doing a great job but fighting a tough battle. When you see the amount of money these Tory (insert disgusting expletive here) are giving to their crony mates on contract after contract after contract it would sicken you.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on January 12, 2021, 12:08:11 PM

Yeah, they pay it on fags and drink, and other stuff chippies  ;)

Main Street

One thing the English have excelled in since time immemorial is statistics and keeping records.

The ONS have released a preliminary comprehensive stats report for deaths in 2020. They're included in this document.
https://tinyurl.com/y37h42gj

One outstanding stat is the  high nr of excess deaths recorded in England's nursing homes during the 1st wave. And after the first wave excess deaths were kept at a minimum in those homes.
2020 covid death statistics  are compared to flu/pneumonia figures,  similar figures  but
approx  85% of covid deaths were due to covid, whereas 85% of flu/pneumonia death were not due to flu/pneumonia, but where the disease was a contributing factor

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 12, 2021, 12:09:13 PM
Not when you're a high roller like you though ;)

I kind of agree with your point to a degree. It's two things though - a lack of funding and then where is the funding going when they get it. The people "on the ground" are doing a great job but fighting a tough battle. When you see the amount of money these Tory (insert disgusting expletive here) are giving to their crony mates on contract after contract after contract it would sicken you.

I think the NHS has been on its knees for decades... I don't care which government has been in place, its been going down hill a long time. with 12 million extra people on board from when it started, its not funded to cover 65 million people..

The cost from the minute someone is born through to old age is more than what's put in by the taxpayers, either tax us more to cover the short fall, or drop other high expenditure, like nukes, submarines, army and other crap that's not really needed

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 12, 2021, 12:15:29 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 12, 2021, 12:08:11 PM

Yeah, they pay it on fags and drink, and other stuff chippies  ;)

As I said.

We should be increasing the VAT rate on those items. Where there is a will, there's a way.

Obesity is a huge problem in kids today and that mainly lies with parenting. There are ways and means to tackle this but is there sufficient appetite (excuse the pun) in government to drive this. This takes time, effort, money and other resources and you wouldn't say it would.

I also think it's a class problem, if you look at healthy options in supermarkets they are much more expensive on average than the unhealthy option. I know we've had sugar taxes and all lately but they're not enough to really be a deterrent - big interest businesses lobbying may see to that.

It all falls back on gov policy really.

Angelo

Quote from: Main Street on January 12, 2021, 12:16:11 PM
One thing the English have excelled in since time immemorial is statistics and keeping records.

The ONS have released a preliminary comprehensive stats report for deaths in 2020. They're included in this document.
https://tinyurl.com/y37h42gj

One outstanding stat is the  high nr of excess deaths recorded in England's nursing homes during the 1st wave. And after the first wave excess deaths were kept at a minimum in those homes.
2020 covid death statistics  are compared to flu/pneumonia figures,  similar figures  but
approx  85% of covid deaths were due to covid, whereas 85% of flu/pneumonia death were not due to flu/pneumonia, but where the disease was a contributing factor

Franko and Milltown will take your head off for posting that.