China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

Colm Henry said today that R is well above one.  The positivity rate and cases over the last week are falling, do this not mean that R must be below one or do they take the R number over a 14 day period ?

tbrick18

Arlene and Michelle have just said that the R rate is now between 0.7 - 0.9.
Looks like lockdown is working in terms of breaking the chains of transmission.

imtommygunn

Hopefully we will start to see hospital numbers drop significantly.

I was reading there there are 300k cases of "long covid" I think it's in the Uk. There's a young girl(who's 21 and would keep herself fit etc) in our work was due to start september and still hasn't started because of it. Heart problems and everything. Horrendous.

trueblue1234

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 14, 2021, 04:34:46 PM
Arlene and Michelle have just said that the R rate is now between 0.7 - 0.9.
Looks like lockdown is working in terms of breaking the chains of transmission.

Just a pity it wasn't done earlier.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Rossfan

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 14, 2021, 04:41:16 PM

I was reading there there are 300k cases of "long covid" I think it's in the Uk. There's a young girl(who's 21 and would keep herself fit etc) in our work was due to start september and still hasn't started because of it. Heart problems and everything. Horrendous.
Was a 38 year old woman from east Galway on Radio this morning.
She got Covid last March.
Now has a continuous hoarse voice, cough, low energy, difficulty concentrating etc.
Gets breathless if she goes up the stairs..
You simply do not want to be getting Covid.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

Unfortunately I think we're looking at hospital numbers and deaths probably staying were they are for the next week or so. They talk about a 2-3 week lag. But the fact the infection rate is dropping is good news and proves that the restrictions are working.

lenny

Quote from: Rossfan on January 14, 2021, 05:09:35 PM

Now has a continuous hoarse voice, cough, low energy, difficulty concentrating etc.

I know 3 people with long COVID, they've all had it for 6 months plus. None of them are remotely close to being able to work. One of them got it last March, he's only 42 and was very fit. He can't even walk 100 metres now.

BennyCake

Quote from: lenny on January 14, 2021, 05:22:50 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 14, 2021, 05:09:35 PM

I know 3 people with long COVID, they've all had it for 6 months plus. None of them are remotely close to being able to work. One of them got it last March, he's only 42 and was very fit. He can't even walk 100 metres now.

That is one side of this that you don't hear much about. It's normally, X number has died, X number has recovered, but not the number who are struggling with the after affects of it.

I know someone in late 40's, who was a bit tired, breathless for a few months afterwards, but is still able to work without it being much of an issue. Another I know was older, but is suffering a bit worse. However, both aren't as bad as you described.

imtommygunn

Mps in England seem to be trying to get some legislation through about sick pay for long COVID as it seems a big enough thing.

Trailer yeah I think we are a good bit off the home straight just yet. Two months ago 900 cases was a travesty but now it is a success. Mad times.

Angelo

Loads of people will have Long Covid if they're going to get paid for it.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

People thought ME was a fake illness, long Covid will be the same
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Supposed to be very similar.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 14, 2021, 07:54:43 PM
Supposed to be very similar.

That's why I used it...

ME probably a result of Flu
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 14, 2021, 07:53:32 PM
People thought ME was a fake illness, long Covid will be the same
People? it was 'educated' medical opinion who claimed it was psychosomatic.  Medical quack diagnosis ....'go home and do some mindfullness'.

And can any one of those medics who ever believe that psychosomatic is a medical cause, ever explain how a psychosomatic condition could arise?  i.e from a scientific point of view,not from a  belief platform?

ME was also labelled the 'yuppie disease 'once upon a time. Also people who just never recovered properely from a heavy flu and the debilitating effects lasted for months on end. The condition is not unique to some people recovering after covid, but very similar to ME.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

3 months later still having heart palpitations. Keeping eye on it. Could be something else but it did coincide with week I got the COVID