The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

les Antiques

Rigney  had never the same financial backing that was in place during Cheddars reign .

Joeythelips

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 11, 2016, 06:49:08 PM
Quote from: finbar o tool on October 11, 2016, 06:20:37 PM
Quote from: LOVEGAA on October 11, 2016, 02:40:27 PM

Not sure how much of last Sundays display from both teams can be attributed to Cheddar plunkett. The Laois team never played a front foot attacking brand of hurling whatsoever. In fact I recall early this year in February in the first round of the league at HOME in O'Moore Park to KERRY playing sweepers and all sort. Kerry went out and played great front foot attacking hurling and completely out hurled Laois.

There is a Kilkenny man in charge of Rathdowney and a Tipperary man over Borris Kilcotten. Maybe the display last Sunday should be attributed to the players and team managers.

Would have to agree totally with this

Nail on the head!

I think ye are being deliberately selective in what you are reading from the original.
Surely it is fair to say that the structures, physical conditioning programme and exposure to top level preparation and coaching that Laois players have been exposed to in the last few years has improved them. A huge number of players on show last Sunday were part of this.

I am not saying that Cheddar was/is the only man capable of delivering this type of set up, but he was without the question the first man to ever put this in place for Laois.
[/quote]

This is the point I was making, I did not mean Cheddar thought these guys to play hurling or was a tactical expert, I mean he brought in a level of professionalism that has greatly improved our players. It would be very foolish to say otherwise. I am not saying the management of both clubs had no part in it, but what percentage of time did the county panellists train with the clubs in last couple of years compared to county training sessions? I just mean Cheddars hard work is bearing fruit for our hurlers. Tactically he did not bring out the best in them but that was his call. For this reason I would have him overseeing our underage player development.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on October 11, 2016, 11:54:59 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 11, 2016, 09:30:25 PM
Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on October 11, 2016, 07:54:28 PM
Niall rigney seemed to have a fairly professional set up to be fair

He did, but nothing like the past couple of years.

Maybe not but tactically far superior

Such as when? I don't remember the team having results to match/better those of the last four years? Could be wrong, but I don't remember. Ran the likes of Limerick close once or twice, but that hardly trumps beating Offaly, running Galway close twice, Clare in a league quarter final, or Cork in the league?
I genuinely don't remember a series of results to match that?
We got some fair trouncings under Rigney to.

Quote from: les Antiques on October 12, 2016, 09:31:14 AM
Rigney  had never the same financial backing that was in place during Cheddars reign .
Depends what you mean by "backing" and which question you are answering.
1) Did the county board contribute the same amount to both set ups? Possibly- I don't know.
2) Was more spent of coaches, physios, training camps, player welfare etc during Cheddar's reign? There was no comparison.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

redsetanta

Any talk or rumours as to who's coming in to take over the seniors?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

les Antiques

burdizzo

Really? What's he been at lately?
They'd want to get a move on.

Don Draper

Quote from: burdizzo on October 27, 2016, 11:00:22 PM
Won the Limerick Championship last week.

Unlaoised

This Gary Kirby rumour seems to be gathering pace I heard it off two different people ove rthe weekend one with good connections as regards this sort of news..
LAOIS ABÚ

OTF

Quote from: burdizzo on October 27, 2016, 11:00:22 PM

Works for JP, security man at the Manor

les Antiques

Depends how good Patrickswell go in Munster . Wont commit if there competing and winning in Munster and wont step down if Croker awaits in March .

ClashAsh

Eamon Kelly announced as the laois senior hurling manager this evening at Laois county board meeting. He only stepped down from Offaly post after one year in the position.

redsetanta

How much better than Cheddar is he? Not the most inspiring of apppintments.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Ballyroan Abbey

Won kerry a christy ring and brought offaly on big time dont know how people could complain really, has a solid track record at this level

redsetanta

Any idea why he resigned from the Offaly job.

finbar o tool

He stated "personal and business demands on my time is too much at the moment", that was less than 3 months ago?!
Wouldnt know much about his management 'style' etc but he has a decent track record and experience, i wouldnt read too much into last year with Offaly. Wonder who he'll have as coaches/selectors?
Hopefully the lads can buy into the set up and maybe not play as defensive next year.
Best of luck to him!
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy