Shane Ryan - Cheeky but decent

Started by Dinny Breen, August 07, 2007, 08:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Nice interview with Shane Ryan in the tribune on Sunday for those who missed it...

"I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell . . . 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But "rst, you've gotta get mad."

Howard Beale, 'Network'

SHANE RYAN enters through a bar door but you expect him to exit through the bar wall.

Basically he's huge, the latest in a line of Dublin footballers that could con it as a rugby centre. Quiz him about the top-heavy look and he just smiles and admits he's grateful he changed careers a few years back. Then he was in banking but people were pulling on the various strands of his life and the whole lot was unravelling. Now teaching has given him room to inhale the summer air. Just in time too. After all, the training Dublin have been doing ever since would have meant being late for work . . . plenty to annoy the boss.

The new look? That started in a Croke Park dressing room late in August 2005.

Ryan was just one of a beleaguered panel, left with barely enough energy to feel embarrassed. Sure, they had taken the year's All Ireland champions to a replay and the 2-18 to 1-14 scoreline the second day out was far from disgraceful. But while the rest of the country praised their effort, Ryan and his teammates knew they had been bullied. They'd just had their hair pulled in front of their own people and their faces had been rubbed into the mud of their own backyard.

Enough was enough.

"That was it. We thought things were going well after winning Leinster and this was great but that day against Tyrone we knew we were still a long way off an All Ireland.

That was the moment and that was about the size of it.

No more being nice about this and playing nice and being liked. Who cares what you are like if you win the All Ireland? Maybe that's not the most sporting view but any team that wants to win it has to take that view and we've learned that now.

"Tyrone showed us what it takes to win an All Ireland.

That was their second, we managed to draw with them and maybe we were a bit lucky but they showed us the level we have to get to in more than one way. There is that ruthlessness and meanness.

But as well as that I was marking Enda McGinley and I thought I was fit. The game was hectic and I was out on my feet and I'm sure he must have been tired too because it was sapping but he never showed it and was going strong in the end. That's where I had to get to. We all had to get to that level and it was a serious wake-up call."

It didn't take long for their mentality to change. The following February they went to Omagh. They can't be sure if they won the fight but at least they were in it this time.

On top of that, they had beaten Tyrone, picked up two league points and won where nobody wins, in Healy Park.

"Dogged stuff. It was a battle in a fighting sense but much more than that. The fight was handbags cause nobody got hurt but psychologically that day meant a lot. We beat the All Ireland champions in Omagh and we matched them physically. They weren't going to bully us and get away with that. Nobody was."

? ? ? Of all the thick GAA blood in the country, none runs more viscous than his. One grandfather, Seamus O Riain, was President of the association from 1967 to 1970. The other, Sean O Siochain, was Director General prior to Liam Mulvihill. His father Jack was a dual player for Tipperary and was an All Ireland winner with the hurlers in 1971. Many reckon he holds a record for time spent in UCD, too, having lined out on more Fitzgibbon Cup teams than anyone cares to remember. Then there's his mother Orla. She started her camogie career with Dublin at 15, won three All Irelands in her first three years and never won again. It's that name that adorns the two wristbands on his right arm, one in the colours of their club, Naomh Mearnog, the other in shades of blue.

"She died at the end of 2003. She would have been 55 and my life was on its head. One of the biggest influences on my life was suddenly gone. I found it hard moving on but we have such a big family, so many aunts and uncles and cousins around, it helps a lot. And we wanted to do something positive out of it so we set up a blitz in Naomh Mearnog with camogie and hurling and other things all to raise money for the Irish Cancer Society, Beaumont Hospital and St Francis Hospice in Raheny. They had one last year and they are planning another one in September. Obviously the first year there was a greater buzz about it but I'd love to see it continuing.

"It is strange because it puts everything into perspective but at the same time sport was such a big part of our lives and many peoples' lives and we take it seriously and rightly so. And she was an All Ireland champion as is my dad and as a kid you just take that for granted. But now I realise it means so much having strived to get there and I wonder what the aftermath is like and the reaction of people and just everything that goes with it. I'd love to find out for myself.

There was a time when I said I would have been happy to retire with a Leinster medal in my pocket but now I have three and all I want is an All Ireland like they won."

? ? ? Dublin may well lift Sam Maguire while he's part of the set-up, after all he's still just 28. When he met a 33year-old Kieran McGeeney on the international rules panel towards the end of 2006 he goes so far as to say he was taken aback. Never had he seen someone who played for so long, look so good and show such hunger.

What he doesn't realise is Dublin are now at that level.

Before every training session this summer the lot of them have taken 20 minutes to pump iron. They have the physicality to go all the way but it's the change in attitude that makes you wonder if they are winning the right way.

Last week in this church Sean Og O hAilpin was talking about sportsmanship.

"More than winning I think it's important that you're a good sportsman because, long after you leave the game, how you played outweighs what you've won." He wasn't referring to Dublin's new approach but there's been plenty of others willing to do just that.

Luke Dempsey said, "It's noticeable that certain quality players are doing this. If they go to Croke Park and have been 'coached', for want of a better word, in this unsportsmanlike behaviour, it's not right." But it was the words of Laois's Darren Rooney that were most hardhitting when he spoke about this year's Leinster final.

"Nobody is there to take abuse like thatf We were beaten and taking it, but for them to make a laugh of it.

Some of our medical staff got the height of abuse from Dublin players. I was on the ground getting treated before that, Dublin backroom staff were coming in off the line and one fella came in and jostled me. We'd all know those Dublin lads but, after what happened, it will be hard to look at them in the face again."

It's hard mentioning those words to Ryan. He was the one who looked to get hit repeatedly by Padraic Clancy but got on with it. He's always got on with it but what's it like to be part of a team that have come in for such a level of criticism, most agree deservedly?

"Well firstly there was the Clancy thing. Let's put that to bed, it looked a lot worse than it was. To be truthful things happen and that was nothing. As for the other stuff, well I've seen it on TV but that can be misleading. I'd be very surprised to hear of mentors getting involved and lads abusing physios but I'm not going to call Darren Rooney a liar. I really don't know . . . stuff happens that shouldn't but the real test is shaking hands and getting on with players away from it.

Is that not the real test of sportsmanship? Is being friends afterwards not a greater show of your character?

"You have to realise none of us go out thinking 'I'm going to annoy my man'. In saying that, in the heat of the moment things happen. We'd have seen Laois as our big rivals and things happened.

Like you mention people giving out about Paul Casey being given a high-five by Pillar even though he was taken for a few points. But we saw winning three-in-a-row as a special achievement and after that our focus returned the next night in training.

Maybe Mickey Harte wouldn't have done that but our main focus is on us. There has to be almost a siege mentality. We have to worry about what we are going to do. We have our goals, our focus, our aims and our plans and whatever anyone else thinks of those does not bother us."
#newbridgeornowhere

oakleafgael

Whilst its not a very revealing interview I think Shane Ryan comes across very well in it. He is a player I have a lot of time for. He has made the most of his talents and plays the game in the correct manner. I think he is the type of player who is happy enough in the background but he is as important at midfield to Dublin as Whelan is.

mannix

Decent or not his team will have big trouble with derry and even bigger trouble with kerry if they get there.
All the muscle did not help much against a running team like Mayo last year when they had a 7 point lead.
He is a nice player though and mayo could do with one or two like him now.Pillar and his high fives, only in dublin along with clapping over your head ala premiership.

AZOffaly

I spent a very pleasant half an hour or so with Shane Ryan in Messer Maguires before the AIF in 2005, and he was a pure gentleman. One of the lads I'd love to see picking up an All Ireland medal.

IolarCoisCuain

I agree with everything that's been said here. Shane Ryan has always seemed a good bloke. One of the many mysteries about Dublin media coverage is how Ciarán Whelan is so often portrayed as one of the best midfielders in Ireland when he's not even the best on his own team.

magpie seanie

Agree with AZ. Ryan is one of the good guys. I would be very happy for him to win an All-Ireland medal.

Fear ón Srath Bán

An honest grafter on that Dublin team, and much underrated. Wouldn't begrudge him any success that's coming his way, though their work is cut out.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

muppet

Would agree with the above, Ryan is an honest and likeable footballer. Switching him out of midfield probably turned last year's semi more than anything Mayo did, but we've done that to death here.

I was in Arnott's on saturday morning and was amazed to here an announcement that the Dublin team would be in store signing autographs that day.

Just wondering what people think the Kerry panel were are at the same time? Probably not signing autographs, they leave that for October.
MWWSI 2017

the Deel Rover

araah the kerry boys were throwing slaps at each other muppet ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Hardy

Quote from: muppet on August 07, 2007, 11:00:07 AM
I was in Arnott's on saturday morning and was amazed to here an announcement that the Dublin team would be in store signing autographs that day.

Heh Heh. They never seem to learn, do they?

Uladh

saw ryan and millstone casey on the tv3 news last night in their black tie suits doing a photo shoot in croker. had quite a chuckle to myself. is there no brains in that outfit at all at all?

easytiger

Hmm - no brains at all - but the heart to turn out to promote the charity "Support your County Ball" - which is being held to raise money for the cystic fibrosis unit in Crumlin Children's hospital - maybe if you ever had a sick child you might be thankful for the (small) sacrifice these amateur players made in giving up their time.

The anti-Dub sentiment on this board is going beyond a joke.

AZOffaly

Agree Easytiger. That photoshoot yesterday was for an extremely good cause, and fair play to them for doing it. People should get the full facts without making stupid wind up digs.

Hardy

Quote from: easytiger on August 07, 2007, 02:20:19 PM
The anti-Dub sentiment on this board is going beyond a joke.

Are you serious, easytiger? People are queueing up here to be nice to Shane Ryan - so much so that I was about to post a "that's enough being nice to the Dubs for one week" call.

I'm sure Uladh meant no disrespect to any cause. As All-Ireland champs designate, you lads'll have to get used to a bit of slagging. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown, as Tommy Lyons, or some other famous philosopher said.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...