?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

clarshack

Quote from: illdecide on December 31, 2018, 09:27:51 AM
Thought I'd wait a day or two before posting to let the dust settle and think it thru properly and tbh I still can't make sense of it, I can't understand how we let the huns bully us, I can't understand the lack of fight and intensity, I can't understand how so many players were terrible in the same game and I can't understand how BR picked the team he picked (I know it's easy to say that now in hindsight).
As you all know I'm not usually one for criticising the team but there is one or two that simply can't escape it...the first and general is Boyata, I would take a £10er for him and get him out the door. What he done with us in the summer I'll never forgive and his display on sat stank so bad, who the f**k does he think he is. He's rank and with his attitude I'd never want to see his face again.
Lustig is finished and his lack of pace and body strength are being exploited regularly, in his defence it's not his fault. If Brendan continues to play him then that's BR's fault.
S sinclair is a bit like Lustig to be fair as it's not his fault he gets picked, we all know he can play and he's got the pace and skills of the game but what gets me is the lack of bravery and guts. How can you be brushed off the ball so easily, without even a fight. The lack of fight in the man is what pisses me off with SS, you don't need to be a big guy to have a bit of fight in you. I've a ten year old in the house who'd put up a better fight but that's something you can't put into a man, if you're yellow you're yellow.
I may be wrong here and I thought he was hard man but benkovic surprised me by going off on Saturday, I believe he didn't have the stomach for the fight and went off very easily (hope I'm wrong). He's only a loanee so won't lose to much sleep over that.

On the transfers...BR is under a bit of pressure to deliver as we've had two bad windows in a row and it's bit us on the ass, the good thing is we've a chance to recover and redeem ourselves in the second half of the season. Provided Lawell gives him the money, I know for a fact NL left his Celtic job as Lawell wouldn't back him. In fact not only wouldn't Lawell ack him but he started to sell players that NL didn't want to sell and there were two players that NL wanted a new contract for and Lawell wouldn't give them one so he just couldn't work there any longer

Great post!

ned

Thought I'd wait a day or two before posting to let the dust settle and think it thru properly and tbh I still can't make sense of it, I can't understand how we let the huns bully us, I can't understand the lack of fight and intensity, I can't understand how so many players were terrible in the same game and I can't understand how BR picked the team he picked (I know it's easy to say that now in hindsight).
As you all know I'm not usually one for criticising the team but there is one or two that simply can't escape it...the first and general is Boyata, I would take a £10er for him and get him out the door. What he done with us in the summer I'll never forgive and his display on sat stank so bad, who the f**k does he think he is. He's rank and with his attitude I'd never want to see his face again.
Lustig is finished and his lack of pace and body strength are being exploited regularly, in his defence it's not his fault. If Brendan continues to play him then that's BR's fault.
S sinclair is a bit like Lustig to be fair as it's not his fault he gets picked, we all know he can play and he's got the pace and skills of the game but what gets me is the lack of bravery and guts. How can you be brushed off the ball so easily, without even a fight. The lack of fight in the man is what pisses me off with SS, you don't need to be a big guy to have a bit of fight in you. I've a ten year old in the house who'd put up a better fight but that's something you can't put into a man, if you're yellow you're yellow.
I may be wrong here and I thought he was hard man but benkovic surprised me by going off on Saturday, I believe he didn't have the stomach for the fight and went off very easily (hope I'm wrong). He's only a loanee so won't lose to much sleep over that.

On the transfers...BR is under a bit of pressure to deliver as we've had two bad windows in a row and it's bit us on the ass, the good thing is we've a chance to recover and redeem ourselves in the second half of the season. Provided Lawell gives him the money, I know for a fact NL left his Celtic job as Lawell wouldn't back him. In fact not only wouldn't Lawell ack him but he started to sell players that NL didn't want to sell and there were two players that NL wanted a new contract for and Lawell wouldn't give them one so he just couldn't work there any longer

Don't disagree too much. However, Benkovic went off injured recently and I'm not sure he was 100% for this one. Same for Lustig. KT would have started if he'd been anywhere near fit. So I think if this had been another match and not the last before the break we may have seen a completely different back four with Ralston, Ajer and Hayes/Izzy starting. It's increasingly obvious Brown and Ntcham don't really work together so playing McGregor at LB was a mistake. Johnston up front on his own was baffling. I couldn't understand the reluctance to alternate the front three earlier either. This only happened when Edouard came on.
Anyway, that's done and reality is we have had performances like that this season against weaker teams so a loss wasn't a massive surprise. We will regroup and should still win the league but perhaps we've underestimated the quality of the other teams.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Insane Bolt on December 31, 2018, 09:37:49 AM
Why can't Celtic attract players like Lennon, Sutton, Hartson, Petrov, etc......the current squad are Irish league standard with a very rare exception now and again.
Because English football has become ludicrously overpaid.

marty34

And Peter Lawell on a £2m "performance bonus" on top of a £1m salary alledgely.  That's what galls me.

There was a mess up in transfers in the summer e.g. Dembele and Boyata.  I've stated this before. The board thought Celtic would walk the league etc. domestically and sneak through to a Champion's Lge spot.  They were found out badly and were lucky to get into the Europa qualifier but default of another team scoring with 4 mins left.

Lawell wanted to sell players on without bruying new players because he thought they could continue dominating domestically and get lucky in Europe.

I see why Lennon walked.

Itchy

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 31, 2018, 12:09:11 PM
Why can't Celtic attract players like Lennon, Sutton, Hartson, Petrov, etc......the current squad are Irish league standard with a very rare exception now and again.
Because English football has become ludicrously overpaid.

I suspect that is the biggest problem. So many very average players getting huge wages in England, how can Celtic compete with that.

lenny

Bournemouth in the epl with an average attendance of just over 10,000 get over £100 million from sky tv money. Every club in the epl gets at least £100 million even if they don't win a match. Celtic and the clubs in the spl have to share £2 million. It's not rocket science why celtic can't compete for big name players. Celtic have their best established players at the club on @ £25k p/w. Young players who have barely played in the first team are getting as much as that at man city and clubs like that. Established players at any club in the epl are getting £100k per week at least and often over £200k. The wages are crazy and have been driven up exponentially by sky tv money. If that bubble ever bursts a large number of english clubs will go bust very quickly. If clubs were forced to generate their own cash through supporters through the gates Celtic would be one of the strongest clubs in the  world andable to compete with anyone.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: lenny on December 31, 2018, 04:52:14 PM

Bournemouth in the epl with an average attendance of just over 10,000 get over £100 million from sky tv money. Every club in the epl gets at least £100 million even if they don't win a match. Celtic and the clubs in the spl have to share £2 million. It's not rocket science why celtic can't compete for big name players. Celtic have their best established players at the club on @ £25k p/w. Young players who have barely played in the first team are getting as much as that at man city and clubs like that. Established players at any club in the epl are getting £100k per week at least and often over £200k. The wages are crazy and have been driven up exponentially by sky tv money. If that bubble ever bursts a large number of english clubs will go bust very quickly. If clubs were forced to generate their own cash through supporters through the gates Celtic would be one of the strongest clubs in the  world andable to compete with anyone.

That leaves Celtic with very little options. Has the idea of them joining the EFL been kicked into touch for good?

Milltown Row2

Good to hear the officials weren't to blame
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lynchbhoy

Desmond will always try to get Celtic INto the EPL

Poor selection and formation from BR. But he's been good for most part this season.
Anyway new players and a better attitude from the existing ones required. Still expect to win the league given this wake up call

rodney trotter

Celtic wouldn't go automatically into the Premier League. They would have to play in the lower Leagues which isn't going to happen

lynchbhoy

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 31, 2018, 06:31:48 PM
Celtic wouldn't go automatically into the Premier League. They would have to play in the lower Leagues which isn't going to happen
No but DD continually tries to agitate this...
It will happen sometime that Celtic will move to a different and bigger league. Whether it's a euro league or via lower English tiers... remains to be seen. But it will happen. Money always finds a way

rodney trotter

The European Super league would be more realistic. Think it was Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Austria, Belgium, Holland,  Scotland as
the countries for a possible League.

The big 5 Leagues were talking about having another elite league.

From the Bunker

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 31, 2018, 06:31:48 PM

Yes, you'd expect they'd have to make their way up through the Leagues. Question is which League would they be allowed start in? Would they be allowed to start in the (fifth tier) National League? Could be even lower? All the other clubs have to go the long route to get to the top, the same would be expected of Celtic. Not as simple as it sounds?

general

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11788/11598043/jermain-defoe-to-join-rangers-on-18-month-loan-deal

Some signing for the Gers.

Rodgers may put the foot down with the Celtic Board now. They were outclassed last week. Defoe, albeit 36 years old will be lethal in the SPL!

themac_23

Quote from: general on January 03, 2019, 04:21:22 PM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11788/11598043/jermain-defoe-to-join-rangers-on-18-month-loan-deal

Some signing for the Gers.

Rodgers may put the foot down with the Celtic Board now. They were outclassed last week. Defoe, albeit 36 years old will be lethal in the SPL!

Defoe is on nearly 100k a week at Bournemouth, even if they pay half his wages that's out of their price range, clearly no lessons learned in govan, also smells like moreles must be going