GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the goal was on

Sport is getting an excellent deal from the health authorities, allowing close contact sport is something many did'nt expect in April. So we have been giving the go ahead for huddles/melees/man on man marking for thousands. Fair enough deal and fair bit of risk. Asking us to restrict spectators is a fair ask especially if there is no social distancing (most def the case at plenty of games), clubs ignoring the current quotas, car pooling and congregating after. Bit of balance to conversation needed.

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 20, 2020, 05:26:02 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 20, 2020, 05:17:50 PM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on August 20, 2020, 05:03:35 PM
i think the numbers attending GAA matches should be restricted. There is a differnence between business and peoples livelihoods and  sports and this is factored into what is and isnt an acceptable risk. The line is drawn somewhere and thats that however where the line is, is of course debateable.

i have not seen very many good arguments IMO for increases in spectators numbers at matches, however if the GAA stressed the economic benefit to local businesses of matches taking place i struggle to find an arguement of not allowing spectators at matches.

The good argument is that you are much less likely to get Covid outside than inside. Anyone that ignores this is ignoring science. Allowing 50 people indoors and only 15 outdoors is bollix.
And as for the economic argument, sport is a benefit to people, but there are some costs to running it and you are denying the means to cover those costs.

Well said.

i dont think ive seen anyone claim there is less chance of catching covid indoor v outdoor, so that whole argument is nonsense imo. There are socio econimic elements also considered in deciding what is restricted and what isnt.  Getting schools back has and still seems to be the priority even though it carries a significant level of risk and obviously takes place indoors. Pubs, restaurents, hotels etc. are open because of the economic benefit not because they are safer than other businesses or activities. Sports are very low down the list but beacuse of health and social benefits id imagine  they decided to allow matches to take place.

what i was saying is the economic benefits appear to be a priority for the government and imo rightly so over sports, the GAA could make the argument by having games and spectators they are suppprting economic recovery which is the governments priority.

its hard to argue against allowing pubs and restaurants open to help peoples livelihoods but then say that events that lead to more attendance at these pubs and restaurants which help people livelihoods that work in these businesses  is bad.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on August 20, 2020, 06:49:24 PM
i think the numbers attending GAA matches should be restricted. There is a differnence between business and peoples livelihoods and  sports and this is factored into what is and isnt an acceptable risk. The line is drawn somewhere and thats that however where the line is, is of course debateable.

i have not seen very many good arguments IMO for increases in spectators numbers at matches, however if the GAA stressed the economic benefit to local businesses of matches taking place i struggle to find an arguement of not allowing spectators at matches.

The good argument is that you are much less likely to get Covid outside than inside. Anyone that ignores this is ignoring science. Allowing 50 people indoors and only 15 outdoors is bollix.
And as for the economic argument, sport is a benefit to people, but there are some costs to running it and you are denying the means to cover those costs.

Well said.

i dont think ive seen anyone claim there is less chance of catching covid indoor v outdoor, so that whole argument is nonsense imo. There are socio econimic elements also considered in deciding what is restricted and what isnt.  Getting schools back has and still seems to be the priority even though it carries a significant level of risk and obviously takes place indoors. Pubs, restaurents, hotels etc. are open because of the economic benefit not because they are safer than other businesses or activities. Sports are very low down the list but beacuse of health and social benefits id imagine  they decided to allow matches to take place.

what i was saying is the economic benefits appear to be a priority for the government and imo rightly so over sports, the GAA could make the argument by having games and spectators they are suppprting economic recovery which is the governments priority.

its hard to argue against allowing pubs and restaurants open to help peoples livelihoods but then say that events that lead to more attendance at these pubs and restaurants which help people livelihoods that work in these businesses  is bad.

Lots of peoples livelihoods are sport based though

dublin7

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 20, 2020, 04:14:42 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 20, 2020, 03:59:59 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 20, 2020, 03:26:08 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 20, 2020, 09:46:34 AM
I don't want anything I'm just an individual posting my view on an Internet forum.
The Government in the 26 has sorted out spectator social distancing by banning them.

The reason given for banning spectators is too many was car pooling to games and meeting up after matches. Many other activities have those issues also be people aren't and won't be banned from doing it

It's one of the reasons NOT the only reason. There have been several instances of people picking up Covid-19 at sporting events so they have stopped people attending them

It's the main reason as per Dr Ronan Glynn. Was no mention of social distancing at games in his latest video response to the confusion over these recent restrictions.

One of the biggest concerns for our medical experts is the rise in community transmission (not knowing where the virus was picked up)

If people are picking up Covid at GAA games then cutting off that avenue makes sense. That's just a sensible medical decision. It's also worth noting that for several county boards social distancing was something that was the government's problem and they didn't seem to think the rules applied to them. No point in limiting fans if you let them all sit/stand together. They got a chance alot of other sports didn't get and they screwed it up themselves.

The rugby restarts in Aviva on Sat in empty stadiums, but the IRFU haven't sent a snotty demand through the media for a meeting with the government to demand answers. Why do you think the GAA are being treated badly compared to other sports? Makes no sense

Captain Obvious

Well said.

100 paying supporters per match gave clubs much needed cash and many of those supporters that do travel will likely pop into a pub, cafe, restaurant before returning home so surely a economic benefit?

PadraicHenryPearse

captain thats my point and one i have not seen used in arguments thst ouside of the match revenue other businesses benifit from events/matches and that economic benefit appears to have weighted heavily on allowing other business open...

Baile - i dont understand what point you are making sorry.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: dublin7 on August 20, 2020, 07:26:00 PM
If people are picking up Covid at GAA games then cutting off that avenue makes sense. That's just a sensible medical decision. It's also worth noting that for several county boards social distancing was something that was the government's problem and they didn't seem to think the rules applied to them. No point in limiting fans if you let them all sit/stand together. They got a chance alot of other sports didn't get and they screwed it up themselves.
:D
The rugby restarts in Aviva on Sat in empty stadiums, but the IRFU haven't sent a snotty demand through the media for a meeting with the government to demand answers. Why do you think the GAA are being treated badly compared to other sports? Makes no sense

Once again tonight the acting CMO stressed car pooling and congregating after are the main reason for such restrictions.

The GAA have been superb during this virus including allowing their own stadiums become test centes. They were correct to look for clarification on these new restrictions but it should have been done in private instead of using a social media.

Anyway it's seems they got their answer on parents allowed to attend games where their children are playing underage games.

Maiden1

Well said.

i dont think ive seen anyone claim there is less chance of catching covid indoor v outdoor, so that whole argument is nonsense imo.
If you are inside the air everyone breathes out is circulating round the room in the same way the heat from a radiator circulates a room.  People open up windows in the morning to let fresh air in.

If you are outside you are much less likely to be breathing in the particles of the people in the vicinity.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 20, 2020, 07:45:13 PM

The GAA have been superb during this virus including allowing their own stadiums become test centes. They were correct to look for clarification on these new restrictions but it should have been done in private instead of using a social media.

Compared to other sports thats simply not correct. And saying it perpetuates the problem. No other sport publically flouted the rules. This is not tbe time for wink and nudge culture.

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Maiden1 on August 20, 2020, 08:23:55 PM

Well said.

i dont think ive seen anyone claim there is less chance of catching covid indoor v outdoor, so that whole argument is nonsense imo.
If you are inside the air everyone breathes out is circulating round the room in the same way the heat from a radiator circulates a room.  People open up windows in the morning to let fresh air in.

If you are outside you are much less likely to be breathing in the particles of the people in the vicinity.

sorry i understand and accept that  and i think everyone does but the decisions are not based solely on likelihood of transmission was my point and therfore its a nonsense argument. i dont think ive articulated my points very well.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 20, 2020, 08:29:40 PM

Compared to other sports thats simply not correct. And saying it perpetuates the problem. No other sport publically flouted the rules. This is not tbe time for wink and nudge culture.

Care to elaborate on what's not true. None of us know what's done in private with others sports. For one they require assistance before returning to action much like GAA have done.

thewobbler

BB, a question. Have you always hated the Association, or is this something that has grown over time?

I think maybe I misinterpreted your inputs on this thread initially, as arising from concern for public health, or just a desire for law abiding citizens.

But your continued incessant desire to see all members of the GAA punished until all members can somehow prove they're toeing the line, combined with your growing rhetoric that the GAA stands alone among sporting organisations for Covid contempt,  just stinks of an anti-GAA agenda. Absolutely stinks.

imtommygunn

That is 100% not true. I have been to athletics where there was no distancing at all. None. It does just seem like a dig at the Gaa.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 20, 2020, 09:15:05 PM

Care to elaborate on what's not true. None of us know what's done in private with others sports. For one they require assistance before returning to action much like GAA have done.

Look at other sports on tv. Fans simply weren't sitting together in groups. 200 was rigorously enforced in the LoI for example, it clearly wasn't at some GAA games.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: thewobbler on August 20, 2020, 09:15:33 PM
BB, a question. Have you always hated the Association, or is this something that has grown over time?

I think maybe I misinterpreted your inputs on this thread initially, as arising from concern for public health, or just a desire for law abiding citizens.

But your continued incessant desire to see all members of the GAA punished until all members can somehow prove they're toeing the line, combined with your growing rhetoric that the GAA stands alone among sporting organisations for Covid contempt,  just stinks of an anti-GAA agenda. Absolutely stinks.

You are a child. Expecting the GAA as a community and sporting body to do the right thing is not an agenda and is not hatred of the association. You got your arse hsnded to you on this thread and are going down that infantile route.

Your belief that the GAA doesn't need to and shouldn't be expected to help stop, or at least not spread, covid is quite frankly worrying. I really hope you are not a committee man