CPA (Club Players Association)

Started by ck, October 18, 2016, 12:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

And do clubs have their county players? In a county with a straight knockout the clubs really should have heir county lads for a high % of them.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 10, 2017, 05:14:37 PM
And do clubs have their county players? In a county with a straight knockout the clubs really should have heir county lads for a high % of them.

Here and there. Just had a quick look at my calendar from last year, of the 7 NFL weekends, there was club football scheduled on 4 of them weekends so there is 4 right there they wouldn't have been available for.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

galwayman

There is absolutely no reason to hold up league football due to the county game.
Play the games away during the summer every weekend.
I can't understand why this doesn't happen.
So what if clubs have to play league games without their county players?
It's the league. Championship is the primary competition.
In Galway certainly anyway the league has no bearing on a clubs championship grade.

Zulu

I find the reaction to this from some to be fairly odd. The sly digs at the GPA are tiresomely expected but if this is to be effective then it will have to become like the GPA. Anyone who thinks an organisation that is to represent tens of thousands of players in multiple counties with markedly different challenges without a large budget and professional leadership is bonkers. Unfortunately this body is required and I hope it's a success. The GPA was required for IC players and were dead right not to represent club players and we do need a club players association too who can concentrate on the club game.

joemamas

Zulu,

Your point about the need for organizing is well made, however what exactly does the GPA stand for and who is it supposed to benefit, who really benefits from it, and lastly roughly what % of IC players truly benefit from it.

Loaded Q's maybe, but my antenna went up on this organization, a few years back when Mayo played NY in the Connacht Championship in NY. As far as I am aware, the GPA sent a retired Dublin player and a retired Kildare player out to NY as representatives. Now I don't begrudge them in one bit, as they sure put some serious time in on the field, but were there no retired players in the province of Connacht that could have been sent out. To me it smelt of eliteism. I hope I am wrong on this.

I totally understand where the CPA wants to go on this and I support them, and no to digress, but I hope it shows up the provincial councils for what they are when it comes to fixtures. Two months to play six games in some provinces, they could easily be played in half the time.
Throw in the tradition of The all-Ireland finals being played four weeks after a semi-final and it is a no brainer what needs to be done.

Zulu

Joe, the GPA represent the inter county player and were desperately needed at a time when the GAA treated players terribly. The currently pioneer educational and business programs for players as well as advising them on their commercial value which are all worthwhile programs for lads who give up so much to represent our counties. There has always been elitism in the GAA and looking after our elite players is a worthwhile investment. We need to compete in the modern real world not the world we'd like it to be.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on January 10, 2017, 08:50:01 PM
I find the reaction to this from some to be fairly odd. The sly digs at the GPA are tiresomely expected but if this is to be effective then it will have to become like the GPA. Anyone who thinks an organisation that is to represent tens of thousands of players in multiple counties with markedly different challenges without a large budget and professional leadership is bonkers. Unfortunately this body is required and I hope it's a success. The GPA was required for IC players and were dead right not to represent club players and we do need a club players association too who can concentrate on the club game.

The way forward is to exclude county players from club football. Then you have a completely uninterrupted club season.

And it will be the end game on this . Mark my words. This is just a temporary ripple in the pond.

The Trap

How many players would choose to play for their county and not play for the club?

Zulu

On another thread I've laid out a plan for a club and IC season. Now, not everyone may agree with it but I see no reason why we can't have two distinct seasons as long as we accept certain realities.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on January 10, 2017, 10:54:31 PM
On another thread I've laid out a plan for a club and IC season. Now, not everyone may agree with it but I see no reason why we can't have two distinct seasons as long as we accept certain realities.

Zulu the GAA is in competition with professional sports.

It cannot shorten the inter county season.

People need to start accepting the realities of the situation and leave Never Never Land to the CPA.

I support the movement but unfortunately the leaders are going to try and fight a battle they are never going to win

The goal is more games and a proper season for club players. Take the county players out and it's easily done

shark

Quote from: INDIANA on January 10, 2017, 10:57:13 PM

People need to start accepting the realities of the situation and leave Never Never Land to the CPA.

I support the movement but unfortunately the leaders are going to try and fight a battle they are never going to win

The goal is more games and a proper season for club players. Take the county players out and it's easily done

Take the county players out and then county teams begin to disappear. Players in at least 10 counties won't play for their county if it means not playing club. Could even be more.

INDIANA

Quote from: shark on January 10, 2017, 11:01:37 PM

Take the county players out and then county teams begin to disappear. Players in at least 10 counties won't play for their county if it means not playing club. Could even be more.

I doubt that very much. I haven't met many county players when asked " off the record" do they miss playing club football. The reality is playing club football at the end of the season is a pain in the arse for most of them.

It's great for PR to say they love playing for the club. After training for 6-7 months it's an imposition

Zulu

Quote from: shark on January 10, 2017, 11:01:37 PM

I tend to agree Shark.

Indiana, the IC season I propose is 5 to 6 months long but all of it is high profile with multiple games and a highlight show every Saturday. The NFL is a world sporting behemoth and only lasts about 5 months. I'm not claiming my proposal is perfect but it's certainly better for competing with professional sports than the current one.

The Trap

I think you are very wrong Indiana. I would say that even a county like Tyrone who are in the top 6 would struggle to get a team if this was the case........

INDIANA

Quote from: The Trap on January 10, 2017, 11:09:15 PM
I think you are very wrong Indiana. I would say that even a county like Tyrone who are in the top 6 would struggle to get a team if this was the case........

I doubt it. I'd love to see an anonymous questionnaire on this. I believe based on my experience the answers would be revealing.

I know several county players who really dislike it after 7 months hard training . For them they end up playing two separate seasons and its not fair