NEW LAOIS MANAGER

Started by Unlaoised, August 03, 2016, 10:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

To answer your question.

Physical trainer to an All Ireland winning side. Involved in Kerry side regarded as one of best ever for close to 10 years on and off. Worked with Jack O Connor and Pat O Shea. Involved with Laois set up under McNulty, and with Cheddar and the hurlers last year. Respected anywhere he's gone, most notably by our current players.

While South Kerry obviously have talent, organizing it and making it work isn't an easy job, were it to be, they'd be winning yearly. So he's not just a coach or a physio, he can organize and inspire.

Much further down the road than Malachy, who is someone I have huge time and respect for. It would be a very Laois thing to do, to turn down someone like Sugrue once. It'd be hilarious to do it twice. He may not be the answer but if he's not, then good luck finding it.

BallyroanAbu

I am happy enough with John however been a physical trainer and well liked are not usually the things that make you a shoo in for an inter county job.  South Kerry are a pretty decent side and in fairness all you can do is your best with them which John did.   However my question is how does this make him a more outstanding canidate than Malachy McNulty or any other well liked physical coach.  I would prefer our managers come from within our own county and train teams within our own county.  I am sure John is here for the long haul and I wish him the best,  however I would be worried about the way we are appointing managers.  A couple of months ago Anthony Cunningham was getting the job based on very little.  John is more in line with what I would be looking for a young manager within the county however I feel we should not be overlooking people within our own set up namely because we know all their faults too well in favour of a more exoctic unknown manager.

Tony

John has an excellent, detailed, varied, strong managerial and coaching / training CV and is perfect for the job. Malachy has hardly any experience with a club that was already walking over the competition. Why would we bring him in? Maybe in 5 years if he proves himself long - term but we're really clutching at straws if he's named over John Sugrue, provided John is interested.

BallyroanAbu

As I have said no problem with John Sugrue however I don't see this super C.V he has.  It's promising slightly more than Malachy's who in his first season won the County Title and got to an Leinster Club Final where he was unlucky to lose.  This after taking over a Portlaoise team last year that was perceived to be at the beginning of the end hence why he got the job(no one else wanted it).  Again I wish John Sugrue the best and hope he makes a good fist of it but without the finances and the higher level backing this is an uphill task no matter how good you are. 

Jimmy P

How in good jasus is Malachy McNulty being even mentioned for this? Chap only in his 2nd year coaching at club level and as someone has already stated coaching probably the most dominant club side in Laois's history with a massive number of players at his disposal. Let him get at least 5 good years under his belt then mention him

blueandwhite1

What do we know about the tactical capability of Sugrue? Perhaps someone has an insight. The suggestions are that he is progressive and smart but is there any evidence of this?

Tony

When the competition is Pat Roe, Joe Higgins, Luke Dempsey, Banty, then yes, Sugrue is by far the best tactician out there. M. McNulty shouldn't be mentioned (obviously insufficient experience) but it illustrates how much we're scraping at the barrel.

Heshs Umpire

No matter who it is, it's terrible that the appointment still hasn't been made and SFC quarter finals in next weekend.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Unlaoised

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on August 31, 2016, 05:26:02 PM
No matter who it is, it's terrible that the appointment still hasn't been made and SFC quarter finals in next weekend.

Couldn't agree more...
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Don Draper

Johnno is going in as a selector to a former player whom he managed. Also his stint with Mayo last time out was poor and he's out of the game for a long time. We may as well give it to Colm Browne again as him.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

True, but we always seem to react better to high profile people. The talent is there, we just need the right person to get it out of us.. ala Micko....
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

SCFC

Does anyone know or care at this stage?  >:(

Don Draper

They will if its a **** like Curran

High Fielder

Quote from: SCFC on September 06, 2016, 10:17:35 PM
Does anyone know or care at this stage?  >:(

We all care but it's obvious that it's a struggle. If you want the best you have to pay accordingly because there are no candidates at the moment in Laois. Someone like Mick Dempsey would keep most happy, but in truth, that's the exercise we are engaged in here; CB saving face, players give a general thumbs up as do supporters, finances kept intact. Doubt it will be a wow appointment.