12 (10.7%)
5-10 pts
38 (33.9%)
10+ pts
36 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: December 19, 2020, 08:56:37 AM

Rudi

So much to admire about Mayo today, went sweeperless at the back. Knew they would concede goal chances, but at the same time knew they had the quality of players to commit to attack, that would severely punish a limited division 3 sides defence. Compare that to gutless Kerry who never tuck on Cork in any meaningful way offensively, Cork also hadn't the balls to take on Tippeary. Cillian O Connor was excellent.
In truth while the 4 best teams didn't make it to the last 4 this year, unlike previous years with the super eights or Quater final format, the best 2 did. I believe Mayo will severely test Dublin they might even win & quite frankly this Rossie won't begrudge them one bit. Take O Horas attitude in doing a diving save with his head. Mayo must be a joy to manage.
This game is something to look forward to.

Dinny Breen

Dublin 11/10 -6 that's a licence to print money.

Won by 6 away
10 at home
8 at home

Last three games. Dublin will shit on Mayo.
#newbridgeornowhere

thewobbler

Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 06, 2020, 07:43:28 PM
Anyone writing Mayo off could well be left surprised again. Horan gets his match up right this will be a competitive final. I'd expect Mayo to be more tuned in defensively, today they took on Tipperary in a shootout and put little focus on their defence.

I'm not sure if I could agree with the expectation. It might be better addressed as hope.

Mayo have thrown in a performance like today every few years going back as far as I can remember. When they dethroned Tyrone in 2004 they couldn't miss. When they demolished Down in 2012 at Croke, they looked like they were playing a different sport. Same again when wiping Sligo in Connacht 2015. And of course 2013 Donegal.

When they play like that, it matters little if they're porous at the back, they attack every part of the pitch with such gusto and accuracy that they will win handsomely.

But they've never produced that level in a final.

Things that make me positive they might give Dublin their fill of it:

- no Vaughan, Cafferky or Hennelly near it. This is harsh on fine servants to Mayo, but it's going to be hard enough to beat Dublin without bringing along brain fartery. Keegan is the closest thing to a brain fart in the current side, and that's an exceptionally encouraging position.

- Durcan, E McLaughlin, DOC and Ruane, springing forward and backwards in unison. Dublin just don't come up against teams that can match athletic ability. This is the closest they'll come. If all 4 have blinders, then this will be tight. Ruane in particular might even give Fenton something to worry about for the first time in years.

- Barrett and Keegan. Mayo will go effectively man for man with Dublin. Which means that somebody somewhere has to have the power, speed and stamina put a clamp, almost by themselves, on Kilkenny and O'Callaghan. Barrett and Keegan will relish this challenge, which is unusual enough behaviour in itself.

- Then high press. Perhaps the greatest compliment you can give Dublin is that even their weakest players are composed, have balanced, and are two-footed and two-handed. Which means when you probe for a weakness it's hit to be a nullifying experience. Bug allowing Dublin to regain possession and build from the back, well that's just mad, because if you do force them into a mistake, the closer this is to the Dublin goal, the more profitable it will be. Dublin are streets ahead of Tipp, but the same principles will apply in the AI final: force the mistakes in their third, and reap what you sow.

Still I wouldn't be hopeful. Mayo might rattle the Dubs. But composure and footballing intelligence can only win out, unless the most unlikely of goal fests rains past Cluxton

macdanger2

Dublin 2/9
Mayo 9/2
Draw 10/1

I'd expect money to come on Dublin at those prices and their odds to shorten before the match

macdanger2

Milltown Row2

Quote from: greatpoint on December 06, 2020, 07:44:37 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2020, 06:39:29 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on December 06, 2020, 05:39:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2020, 05:31:10 PM
So if we look at the money and population and player participation which Dublin has over all counties in all codes why haven't they won hurling?

The hurling tradition in Dublin is not in any way comparable to that of football, hurling doesn't draw anywhere near the numbers that football does. Did you really not think of this before posting?

So it's tradition? Right there's me thinking it was the professional players and all the money given to to county from Croke that made Dublin better?

By the way, Dublin have 6 titles, more than Clare more than Wexford more than Galway more than Waterford and more than Offaly, those other traditional hurling counties

You asked why Dublin don't have the same success in hurling as they do in football, I provided a valid explanation. You're either trolling or just a moron.

You said tradition, I said that's not entirely true, someone mentioned Dublin's hurling titles were tainted with outsiders, if that was the case so would their football titles have the same issues of that time.

You've not provided the numbers. If the numbers playing hurling in Dublin is more than the numbers in the likes of Waterford Wexford Tipp Limerick then  they should be winning more.

They don't win many in hurling as it requires more natural skill, pumping iron and getting fit will take you so far, Dublin many years ago did just that in football, still couldn't beat the naturally gifted footballers, they've since developed better players.

If Dublin get their act together they could seriously challenge the top 3 teams in hurling.. but we'll wait and see.

Calling me a moron won't make you're argument any better.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Blowitupref

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 06, 2020, 08:05:49 PM
Dublin 11/10 -6 that's a licence to print money.

Won by 6 away
10 at home
8 at home

Last three games. Dublin will shit on Mayo.

Two of them league games? Last championship game Mayo led at half time and  a 10 minute blitz at the start of the 2nd half turned the game on its head allowing Dublin run out comfortable winners.

In the All Ireland finals Dublin played in since 2010 only Tyrone 2019 and the replay against Kerry last year did Dublin win comfortably.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

WhoDat

Quote from: thewobbler on December 06, 2020, 08:05:55 PM
Anyone writing Mayo off could well be left surprised again. Horan gets his match up right this will be a competitive final. I'd expect Mayo to be more tuned in defensively, today they took on Tipperary in a shootout and put little focus on their defence.

have to disagree. they were excellent in the 2017 final, one of their best ever croke park performances. they might not have had a flurry of goals, but they were tight and focused and intense all over the pitch and it was honestly the only time in the last decade that i've seen dublin properly sweating and rattled. that was the best final performance i've seen from a team that didn't actually win it. they would have beaten any other team that day and probably handily too. dublin just had that bit extra coming off the bench.

Tubberman

Quote from: WhoDat on December 06, 2020, 08:32:58 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on December 06, 2020, 08:05:55 PM

have to disagree. they were excellent in the 2017 final, one of their best ever croke park performances. they might not have had a flurry of goals, but they were tight and focused and intense all over the pitch and it was honestly the only time in the last decade that i've seen dublin properly sweating and rattled. that was the best final performance i've seen from a team that didn't actually win it. they would have beaten any other team that day and probably handily too. dublin just had that bit extra coming off the bench.

correct
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 06, 2020, 08:11:10 PM
Where's Stephen Archer?

They don't need him. Just like they don't need Aaron Byrne nor Conor McHugh, their other U20/21 players of the year from the last six seasons. An absurd, and interminable, embarrassment of riches.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2020, 06:39:29 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on December 06, 2020, 05:39:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2020, 05:31:10 PM
So if we look at the money and population and player participation which Dublin has over all counties in all codes why haven't they won hurling?

The hurling tradition in Dublin is not in any way comparable to that of football, hurling doesn't draw anywhere near the numbers that football does. Did you really not think of this before posting?

So it's tradition? Right there's me thinking it was the professional players and all the money given to to county from Croke that made Dublin better?

By the way, Dublin have 6 titles, more than Clare more than Wexford more than Galway more than Waterford and more than Offaly, those other traditional hurling counties
Wexford had 5 in the 1982 Gaelsport annual and they added 1 in 96.
Offaly wouldn't have been a traditional county. It was football until hurling got going in the 60s
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

WhoDat

reillycavan

Joeythelips

I actually think Mayo can win. Everything is all about the Dubs which is fair enough as they are the greatest team in GAA history but Mayo are one of a few sides who can match them on their day. Don't get me wrong Dublin are also good enough to get a run on them and hammer them like they did Laois,Meath & Cavan but if Mayo can keep the goals out they surely have some chance and they have shown in the past they are not intimidated by Dublin like so many others.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: thewobbler on December 06, 2020, 05:20:04 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on December 06, 2020, 05:18:46 PM
people like to talk about dublin as a problem but what the mayo and kerry problem the gaa needs at least 6  to 8 teams capable of winning an all ireland to be a good product.

There's not many competitions in any sport has 6-8 teams capable of winning.
True  but obviously hurling is an exception.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi