Maddie McCann

Started by ExiledGael, May 14, 2007, 08:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 04, 2020, 10:10:32 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on June 04, 2020, 04:31:06 PM
A guy on the news saying that the amount of information that the German police have released today, they must be certain this is the person wanted as a defense lawyer would have a feld day with whats been openly reported.

What significant information has been reported?

I was thinking that there's f*ck all linking this guy to the murder. He was in the area around the time; he's a child sex offender, if that's it then it seems exceedingly tenuous so I was assuming there must be something else.

The sale of the car is being reported as significant, why? He murders a child today and then sells a car associated with the murder tomorrow instead of scrapping it (you'd have to assume that the sale was organised prior to that anyway)

If he "confessed" to someone then it could just as easily be a bullsh*t story imo.

Without a body or the murderer having kept a "trophy", I don't think anyone will ever be convicted of her murder

You'd make a poor lawyer. They announced his name and picture of him. They obviously have plenty of information on him, and not just another random link

An Watcher

I'm not so sure now. Talk of him being released so is this an attempt to hold onto him.

trailer

Quote from: An Watcher on June 05, 2020, 10:19:42 AM
I'm not so sure now. Talk of him being released so is this an attempt to hold onto him.

Is he not serving a sentence for other sex offences? He's in prison in Germany was what I understood not that he'd been arrested.

It's a truly harrowing story and when I think about it I can't stop thinking about that wee girls last few hours. Afraid, alone, most probably crying looking help or her parents, not knowing what was happening. It really, really gets me.

Main Street

According to news reports he was extradited back to Germany on the basis of a warrant but was charged with another offence, therefore his lawyers argue he should be released.
Nevertheless he's a suspect of great interest, the german investigators have kept a close watch on his movements over the years and have done a lot of work on the case. This timely public plea by them looks to be an attempt to gain more evidence because what they have now is probably not enough.

balladmaker

Quote from: trailer on June 05, 2020, 01:10:48 PM

Is he not serving a sentence for other sex offences? He's in prison in Germany was what I understood not that he'd been arrested.

It's a truly harrowing story and when I think about it I can't stop thinking about that wee girls last few hours. Afraid, alone, most probably crying looking help or her parents, not knowing what was happening. It really, really gets me.

Does not bare thinking about, harrowing stuff.  This suspect is eligible for parole from his current sentence from this Sunday onwards, can't see that happening. 

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the child died in the holiday apartment at the hand of the intruder, and then the intruder took the body with them.  This might add some credence to the cadaver dogs picking up a scent of death in the apartment.

If this suspect is the culprit, surely the German's cops will make him talk whatever way they can.

macdanger2

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 05, 2020, 09:05:21 AM
A guy on the news saying that the amount of information that the German police have released today, they must be certain this is the person wanted as a defense lawyer would have a feld day with whats been openly reported.

I was thinking that there's f*ck all linking this guy to the murder. He was in the area around the time; he's a child sex offender, if that's it then it seems exceedingly tenuous so I was assuming there must be something else.

The sale of the car is being reported as significant, why? He murders a child today and then sells a car associated with the murder tomorrow instead of scrapping it (you'd have to assume that the sale was organised prior to that anyway)

If he "confessed" to someone then it could just as easily be a bullsh*t story imo.

Without a body or the murderer having kept a "trophy", I don't think anyone will ever be convicted of her murder

You'd make a poor lawyer. They announced his name and picture of him. They obviously have plenty of information on him, and not just another random link

TBF, I'm neither claiming nor aspiring to be a lawyer  ;D

Did the police release his name & photo? It's not being reported on the RTE website and my understanding was that a newspaper report had named him unofficially as "Christian B".

I don't doubt that the investigators have plenty of "information" on him but translating that into evidence enough to secure a conviction might be another story.

For some of the actual lawyers on here, how reliable would the account of an eye witness be considered to be when retold after a long period of time like this? Or would that just be up to the jury to decide on the credibility of it?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 05, 2020, 01:42:44 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on June 05, 2020, 09:05:21 AM

TBF, I'm neither claiming nor aspiring to be a lawyer  ;D

Did the police release his name & photo? It's not being reported on the RTE website and my understanding was that a newspaper report had named him unofficially as "Christian B".

I don't doubt that the investigators have plenty of "information" on him but translating that into evidence enough to secure a conviction might be another story.

For some of the actual lawyers on here, how reliable would the account of an eye witness be considered to be when retold after a long period of time like this? Or would that just be up to the jury to decide on the credibility of it?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/madeleine-mccann-suspect-could-be-out-of-jail-in-days-police-fear-german-rapist-may-be-given-parole-as-they-hunt-for-his-kosovan-underage-ex-girlfriend-and-focus-on-portuguese-farmhouse-they-shared/ar-BB154ptG?li=BBoPWjQ

The Daily Mail, whilst not exactly a bastion of integrity, have no problem picturing or providing pictures of him, MSN add the name.

Regarding the legal issue, it's a bit wishy washy...depending on the context....I mean, a really good lawyer could destroy the eye witness under cross examination, probably go after their character not speaking up years before now etc. I don't know how you could seriously rely on an eye witness to alone, get a conviction. They'll need a lot more than that, especially since there is no body.

tbrick18

The German police must be confident they have the right man, otherwise their claim that they are assuming the child is dead could make them look incompetent.
I'm wondering do they have some physical evidence already and they are looking for that extra nail in the coffin to secure a conviction.

It doesn't bear thinking about what must have happened that wee girl and to her family. At the time it happened one of my kids was around that age, and coincidentally I have a 3 year old girl now also. It really makes it hit home how evil an act this was regardless of who carried it out.

tyrone08

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 05, 2020, 02:14:05 PM
The German police must be confident they have the right man, otherwise their claim that they are assuming the child is dead could make them look incompetent.
I'm wondering do they have some physical evidence already and they are looking for that extra nail in the coffin to secure a conviction.

It doesn't bear thinking about what must have happened that wee girl and to her family. At the time it happened one of my kids was around that age, and coincidentally I have a 3 year old girl now also. It really makes it hit home how evil an act this was regardless of who carried it out.

That poor wee girl. Unfortunately I have to blame the parents here. Never in my mind would I consider leaving my kids alone while I went and drank.

Do we know why it took so long for this to come out?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tyrone08 on June 05, 2020, 03:02:03 PM

That poor wee girl. Unfortunately I have to blame the parents here. Never in my mind would I consider leaving my kids alone while I went and drank.

Never done it or would my wife even forgive me if I left them in the car had i went to the shop!

But I've left them in the house while we've been in garden when having a barbie/drinks
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 05, 2020, 03:06:01 PM

Never done it or would my wife even forgive me if I left them in the car had i went to the shop!

But I've left them in the house while we've been in garden when having a barbie/drinks

Waiting expectantly now for this to be thrown at you in threads to come.

93-DY-SAM

I am the same when I read about any of these cases that involves cruelty or abuse of kids especially when it results in the worst possible outcome. They really stick in my head for days. Your heart just breaks for these kids.  I'm usually a very peaceful person but for crimes like this against children I can only wish the most horrible death on the scum that commit them.

Main Street

Some medics use to blame parents for contributing to the 'sudden death' of their child in cot deaths, for putting the baby to sleep in what they mistakingly believed (with no evidence) in the wrong position.  Imagine that one, its bad enough to lose a precious baby without  imposed pseudo guilt crap  placed on top of their own existing self guilt.

How does this blame thing work, Maddie was abducted, most probably killed and you blame the parents here?
Do you not think they haven't had enough of that already, being at one time the most villified parents in the world?
You don't consider that possibly there's a time limit here to the blame the parents syndrome? That you can move on to considering their awful life experience in a wider context?
Incidentally do parents only get the blame when a bad event happens or would all the parents in that holiday group get equal blame for leaving their kids behind while they gathered together for a meal? 

laoislad

Yeah fully agree. Absolutely mindboggling behaviour. I wouldn't leave one of them in the car when I go in to pay for Diesel.I couldn't imagine doing what they did.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

NetNitrate

Quote from: balladmaker on June 05, 2020, 01:19:26 PM

Does not bare thinking about, harrowing stuff.  This suspect is eligible for parole from his current sentence from this Sunday onwards, can't see that happening. 

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the child died in the holiday apartment at the hand of the intruder, and then the intruder took the body with them.  This might add some credence to the cadaver dogs picking up a scent of death in the apartment.

The dog handler - Martin Grime - who is highly accomplished and solved many cases with Cadaver dogs has stated a body needs to be in place for 2 hrs before a scent of death develops. So the above would not be possible if the parents and friends were checking every half hour as they stated. It also still does not explain the perplexing fact that scent of death was also discovered in the McCann's hire car, a car they hired after the abduction took place, which led the original detective to believe that they transported the body later and concealed it, after she died from an accident in apartment after being left alone. His theory, not mine. Hopefully the family get closure but this latest suspect seems to be similar to the pedophlle who confessed in the Jo Benet Ramsay case (where parents were also suspects), and it turned out he was someone just looking for attention. There seems to be very little hard evidence other that he boasted to a friend. The original detected also predicted a year ago that this person would be made a scapegoat to close the case.