?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Main Street

Quote from: stew on February 23, 2018, 12:41:36 PM
Quote from: illdecide on February 23, 2018, 09:29:01 AM
Five things to get off my chest after this latest awful performance in European football

1. LACK OF SURPRISE. Is there one single Celtic supporter anywhere that is surprised at the manner of that performance tonight. It was awful, absolutely awful. These players collectively seem to have a mental block when faced with quality opposition and Zenit are a decent side but hardly brilliant. In fact they didn't really need to show us what they can do because the goals were gift wrapped and presented to them by shocking Celtic defending.

2. BACKING BRENDAN. Let's start with the money. There's £30million in the bank from the money the club have made from Brendan's time in charge. Then there's the £9.5million they will get from the Virgil van Dijk sell-on clause after that and assuming we don't blow things domestically, then there's the Champions League money from later in the year. The thing about that is it is taking into account the supporters buying the three match package, should we get through the qualifiers. I have heard fans who go to the games home and away, start to question this and think that the money might be better in their pockets and watching the game for free in the pub. Brendan needs a goalkeeper, a central defender and a right back at the very least and everyone knows it. If he's not given the resources he may decide to let someone else have a go.

3. JAMES FORREST AND SCOTT BROWN. IN Ronny's last season when Griffiths scored 40 goals and basically carried the team to the finishing line, we wondered what would we do without super Leigh. This time around we are operating with Forrest and Brown consistently carrying the team, that's a little harsh on KT to we'll give him pass marks. As for the rest? We have more passengers this season than our bus to Pittodrie on Sunday and that's only due to the lack of tickets.

4. THOSE INJURIES. Our players after the 1998 World Cup returned and from France and Celtic really suffered for a while, we had a rotten season other than the 5-1 game when Lubo introduced himself. We had so many injuries that season and didn't Lubo play up from out of necessity? Anyway, this season after a summer break amounting to 2 or for the lucky ones 3 weeks – Scotland played England on 10 June and 6 of our players were involved. They reported back to Lennoxtown two weeks later. This season we have been falling like flies. Has anyone asked why?

5. THE WAY FORWARD. Everyone of us Celtic supporters want the very best for Celtic and we have supported the team 100%. However Brendan is a world class football manager and there are players in that squad who continually let him and us down on the bigger stages. They need to be replaced. Brendan made his mind up about numerous players in Ronny's squad when he arrived and they guys were shipped out one way or another. He now needs to do the same thing with the current squad and the Board need to give him the money that he needs to do the job. Brendan knows he's not got English Premier League money to play with at celtic and he has been happy with things – that, you sense is changing. He has adapted his ambitions to match Celtic's position in the game, now it's time for Celtic to adapt to match their manager's standing.

That was an article on a Celtic website and it's hard to disagree with it, i'm still quite angry from last nights games but as the article says "not surprising"

Good post Illdecide, I think young Ralston could be the next right back no bother, a goalkeeper is very much needed as is a fit, stong central defender, other than that Celtic are in good shape however they are naive in Europe away from home, bar the 3-0 Anderlecht result that is.

I am absolutely gobsmacked at so called fans clamouring for Rodgers to go, who the hell do they think they could get that could do anywhere close to the job he has done? They must have very short memories.

Rodgers has not put a foot wrong as Celtic manager apart from trying to play expansive football against the richest clubs on the planet, he drew with City twice in the CL, he has qualified for the CL twice and young players are flocking to the place to develop under him, yet the numpties want him out, unreal, maybe they could attract the likes of pedro or warburton or Brady to take over.

I thought it was awful but I was surprised at just how awful it was. How could you not be surprised at how woeful that was compared to last week? Zenit are nowhere near the quality of the top teams in europe.
It wasn't just Lustig and De Vries, but the whole team were shocking from the kick off. Mancini must be on cloud nine, wondering just how he escaped the firing squad that were lined up for him.

Avondhu star

Rodgers has taken control of the Scottish scene and it is hard to see Aberdeen or Rangers taking over from Celtic. The danger after the first leg was that Celtic would concede the early goal which unfortunately they did. The nature of the goal conceded knocked the confidence the team had after the Glasgow performance.
I dont think Rodgers is in the game for money. He wont be hunted by the top 5 Premiership teams until he proves himself at top European level with Celtic. He wont be attracted by offers from the likes of Southampton Leicester etc.
The Europa this year was an opportunity to raise the Celtic profile and attract players who could see the potential for further advances in the Europa League and Champions League as Sevilla has done.
Zenit have drawn RB Leipzig. A beatable side and then quarter final
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Avondhu star on February 23, 2018, 02:19:30 PM
Rodgers has taken control of the Scottish scene and it is hard to see Aberdeen or Rangers taking over from Celtic. The danger after the first leg was that Celtic would concede the early goal which unfortunately they did. The nature of the goal conceded knocked the confidence the team had after the Glasgow performance.
I dont think Rodgers is in the game for money. He wont be hunted by the top 5 Premiership teams until he proves himself at top European level with Celtic. He wont be attracted by offers from the likes of Southampton Leicester etc.
The Europa this year was an opportunity to raise the Celtic profile and attract players who could see the potential for further advances in the Europa League and Champions League as Sevilla has done.
Zenit have drawn RB Leipzig. A beatable side and then quarter final

You can't blame Rodgers for the keeper having a howler.
Gordon would have saved at least 2 of those goals. 

illdecide

I know sometimes we make silly statements with a rush of blood to the head but i have to say "I could have saved two of those goals and for sure the 2nd one" and that's not talking sh1te...Holy sweet f**k.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

charlieTully

You would think it's a sacrilege to criticise BR. surely one of the main objectives in bringing him to the club was improvement in Europe. In 2 seasons we have conceded 42 goals in Europe.  Invincible my hole.

T Fearon

A bigger lead should have been secured in the first leg and the abject surrender last night was unbelievable.The manager must take responsibility.

StGallsGAA

Quote from: charlieTully on February 23, 2018, 03:56:41 PM
You would think it's a sacrilege to criticise BR. surely one of the main objectives in bringing him to the club was improvement in Europe. In 2 seasons we have conceded 42 goals in Europe.  Invincible my hole.
His objective was getting to CL group stages, which he's achieved both seasons. Anything beyond that is a plus.  Last year they were drawn in a group with Barca and Man City. This year they finished 3rd in a group containing PSG and Bayern.  Despite the loss of Griffiths, Gordon , Hayes and Roberts they were unlucky not to be 2 or 3 to the good against Zenit heading to Russia.  Without those players it was always going to be an uphill struggle expect especially with Dembele and Sinclair in poor form. 

I dunno if your  hole is invincible and don't particularly want to find out but you are certainly talking thru it!

charlieTully

Quote from: StGallsGAA on February 23, 2018, 06:26:34 PM
His objective was getting to CL group stages, which he's achieved both seasons. Anything beyond that is a plus.  Last year they were drawn in a group with Barca and Man City. This year they finished 3rd in a group containing PSG and Bayern.  Despite the loss of Griffiths, Gordon , Hayes and Roberts they were unlucky not to be 2 or 3 to the good against Zenit heading to Russia.  Without those players it was always going to be an uphill struggle expect especially with Dembele and Sinclair in poor form. 

I dunno if your  hole is invincible and don't particularly want to find out but you are certainly talking thru it!

excuses excuses excuses.

thebar

Quote from: charlieTully on February 23, 2018, 08:00:25 PM

excuses excuses excuses.

Be careful what you wish for.

charlieTully

Quote from: thebar on February 23, 2018, 08:10:58 PM

excuses excuses excuses.

Be careful what you wish for.

A bit of backbone and tactical nous away from home is what
I wish for. Too much to ask? 

ned

excuses excuses excuses.

You don't do facts do you? How do you measure improvement in Europe? Not by goals conceded surely? That's a factor in how well Celtic will do but not the measure. BR got us to the group stages of the CL in his first season, an improvement from the previous two years. This year we qualified and secured European football into the New year. Those are the facts and that points towards improvement to me.
The injuries are a factor whether it suits your agenda or not. All year Celtic have been hampered by injurjes at crucial times.

stew

How the hell else would make the CL group stages 2 years in a row, go one better the following year and make the Europa cup stages in february, win a treble in the first year, have an eight point lead in the second year and all the while the League Cup is already won and the SFA Cup is still akive, all this and absolute morons are calling for the managers head, it defies all logic, 42 goals conceded against the best in the world with a hudredth of the budget, what they hell do you expect.

I agree they should have had more heart the other night, and pride in the jersey, that is not the managers fault, that is the players fault, they need to look at themselves individually and as a group and figure this shit out, Rodgers needs to learn that now and again you need to sit back, absorb pressure and hit the great teams on the break, damage limitation and there is the chance you might steal a game or two here and there.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

charlieTully

Quote from: ned on February 24, 2018, 07:06:58 AM
His objective was getting to CL group stages, which he's achieved both seasons. Anything beyond that is a plus.  Last year they were drawn in a group with Barca and Man City. This year they finished 3rd in a group containing PSG a nd Bayern.  Despite the loss of Griffiths, Gordon , Hayes and Roberts they were unlucky not to be 2 or 3 to the good against Zenit heading to Russia.  Without those players it was always going to be an uphill struggle expect especially with Dembele and Sinclair in poor form. 

excuses excuses excuses.

You don't do facts do you? How do you measure improvement in Europe? Not by goals conceded surely? That's a factor in how well Celtic will do but not the measure. BR got us to the group stages of the CL in his first season, an improvement from the previous two years. This year we qualified and secured European football into the New year. Those are the facts and that points towards improvement to me.
The injuries are a factor whether it suits your agenda or not. All year Celtic have been hampered by injurjes at crucial times.

Typing this on a phone forgive typos. No one is calling for the managers head. Last season was an amazing success domestically and is unlikely to be seen again in our lifetime. In all competitions this season, few stumbles but that's to be expected . That does not absolve BR from criticism if it's justified. Perhaps you don't believe it is. Let's examine some facts from his European record.

FACT away defeat to a part time team from Gibraltar
FACT away defeat to hapoel
FACT 7 nil away to Barca
FACT gave away the lead 3 times at home to city
FACT home defeat to monchengladbach
FACT home defeat to Barca
FACT draw at home to Rosenberg
FACT away defeat to Astana
FACT beaten 5 nil at home by psg
FACT conceded 7 away from home for second time in 2 seasons
FACT home defeat to anderlect
FACT meekly limp out to zenit

bannside

No one will be more acutely aware of those stats than Rodgers himself. He will already be putting the feelers out with Spurs who have been chasing him for a long time. (Not many know but he had the Spurs job in the bag just one week before he chose Liverpool instead....kinda played one off against the other and all that.)

We are comfortably  ahead in Scotland but miles behind in Europe, and BR knows he can never beat last year's highs. He got a five year mega deal extension to his contract and that means if anyone wants him they need to pay very large compensation to Celtic. So if he does go it will still be a bumper payday for Celtic...who as we all know prefer a healthy end of year set of accounts to properly challenging for European glory.

Celtic may not be worldbeaters but as a PLC they are good at making money. Peter Lawells £1m bonus starting to look good again for another year if its not already in the bag long ago with Van Dykes move to Liverpool.

ned

Quote from: charlieTully on February 24, 2018, 11:52:52 AM
Quote from: ned on February 24, 2018, 07:06:58 AM
His objective was getting to CL group stages, which he's achieved both seasons. Anything beyond that is a plus.  Last year they were drawn in a group with Barca and Man City. This year they finished 3rd in a group containing PSG a nd Bayern.  Despite the loss of Griffiths, Gordon , Hayes and Roberts they were unlucky not to be 2 or 3 to the good against Zenit heading to Russia.  Without those players it was always going to be an uphill struggle expect especially with Dembele and Sinclair in poor form. 

excuses excuses excuses.

Typing this on a phone forgive typos. No one is calling for the managers head. Last season was an amazing success domestically and is unlikely to be seen again in our lifetime. In all competitions this season, few stumbles but that's to be expected . That does not absolve BR from criticism if it's justified. Perhaps you don't believe it is. Let's examine some facts from his European record.

FACT away defeat to a part time team from Gibraltar
FACT away defeat to hapoel
FACT 7 nil away to Barca
FACT gave away the lead 3 times at home to city
FACT home defeat to monchengladbach
FACT home defeat to Barca
FACT draw at home to Rosenberg
FACT away defeat to Astana
FACT beaten 5 nil at home by psg
FACT conceded 7 away from home for second time in 2 seasons
FACT home defeat to anderlect
FACT meekly limp out to zenit

I can't be bothered copying and pasting on my phone BUT off the top of my head;

Two very good draws with Man City
Excellent performances against Astana, Bayern and Zenit in Europe
Undefeated last year, record goals scored and points tally
Treble secured in first season
Treble still on this season
European football in the New Year
Players like Forrest, Armstrong, Griffiths improved under BR.

Yes, performances are below par this year and I was gutted with the result and performance on Thursday but what you are highlighting is individual instances of poor performances a lot of which weren't of consequence except Monchengladbach, Anderlecht and Zenit. We could have done better this year but I still see progress.