Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

restorepride

Niall Toner named for Sunday. Is that 3 major games in 8 days?  Anyhow, Sleacht Néill fairly stepping up to the mark, 7 on starting 15.

Glenman93

Quote from: markl121 on February 22, 2019, 07:54:19 PM
Did I hear somewhere about a ridiculous amount of money spent on that mosaic floor in owenbeg?

Are we supposed to guess if you heard it somewhere? Is there a prize for guessing? Have you amnesia? Try and think back to what you were doing when you heard it or didn't hear it.  ✊

oakleaflad

Quote from: Uncle Phil on February 22, 2019, 07:48:38 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on February 19, 2019, 02:46:10 PM
Quote from: Leaveherlong on February 19, 2019, 01:31:17 PM
From time to time the reality of how quickly the county footballers have dropped seems hard to believe. People have plenty of opinions but we need to learn from past mistakes if we're not to repeat them in the future. How did this happen - games against Waterford, London and Wicklow? Its not one single thing, obviously, but even with promotion each year it will be 2022 before our footballers are back in Div 1 and, lets be honest, it might take a couple of goes to get out of Div 2 and possibly Div 3, maybe even Division 4! If Limerick beat Leitrim they're back in it and we still have to play them both. So it could be 2025 before we see Derry playing against the top teams again on a regular basis - 25 years into the new millennium! Its hard not to despair sometimes!

In the last decade Derry have received more money from Croke Park than 29 counties in Ireland. Only Dublin and Cork have received more. Where has all of this money went? Idiots at the healm spending money needlessly. The County Board giving salaries to people for organising a few underage blitzes here and there? You don't need an office at Owenbeg for that. The problem with Derry football goes right to the heart of the County Board. It's easy to be critical, I realise that. But it's hard to believe how much investment has been squandered, when counties receiving less have made more progress.
We've been in 4 Ulster minor finals in a row (winning a couple) and are reigning Ulster U20 champions. Surely that's progress?

JoG2

Frustrating enough game today especially the last 10 mins. But, another 2 points. Two very different but good goals. Good to see Sukie back, scored a trade mark thunder point not long after coming on. Wicklow have some giants in their team.

The mountain was brought to Mohammad, yet there was another paltry attendance today. Would the combined attendances of Glen and Screen hit anywhere near 2000?

lenny

Quote from: JoG2 on February 24, 2019, 06:19:51 PM
Frustrating enough game today especially the last 10 mins. But, another 2 points. Two very different but good goals. Good to see Sukie back, scored a trade mark thunder point not long after coming on. Wicklow have some giants in their team.

The mountain was brought to Mohammad, yet there was another paltry attendance today. Would the combined attendances of Glen and Screen hit anywhere near 2000?

That sounds a lot better than the 200 or so we were getting at matches in division 3

Newbridge Exile

Mal McMullan said on twitter attendance today was around 2000 ?

Sheugh Water

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on February 24, 2019, 07:25:36 PM
Mal McMullan said on twitter attendance today was around 2000 ?

Shocking attendance in the supposed heartlands

JoG2

Quote from: lenny on February 24, 2019, 06:58:56 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on February 24, 2019, 06:19:51 PM

That sounds a lot better than the 200 or so we were getting at matches in division 3

Genuinely surprised (and disappointed) there wasn't alot more at both games.

Was told it was shy of 1500

Sheugh Water

On another point. Something badly wrong with u14 football grading in this county. Just look at féile scores last few days.

restorepride

Better performance today although Wicklow were limited.  Kickouts good in first half, lots of primary possession, Rodgers makes a big difference, some great drives forward in second half leading to scores. McFaul and Cassidy injected pace at times which we need more of. Cassidy still tends to run into tackles and McFaul unlucky to get sent off. Still light up front, 10 scores versus 9. We are also still coming off second best physically? A good crowd there. Did not see Mohammad, unless he was one if the umpires?!

Waataboutyee

Quote from: Sheugh Water on February 24, 2019, 07:54:19 PM
On another point. Something badly wrong with u14 football grading in this county. Just look at féile scores last few days.
Same shite happens every year

You, Yew and Ewe

I see the district competition fixtures have been released for the near ten weeks of the spring/summer with no league action.  It's good that they've returned to the old north and south split as this should ensure a bit of parochialism towards the competitions.

But I see Lavey are conspicuous by their absence, albeit their reserves are entered into the McGlinchey Cup.  I suppose it did them no harm last year though.

DERRYSFINEST

St Pats beaten in the McRory on saturday.  I thought they were hot favourites to win it this year

braveheart

We are a division 4 team playing poor quality opposition.The crowd attendances doesn't surprise me. If there were 1500 supporters at Glen then there'll be less than 500 at Celtic park. 2 interesting things of note from the weekend game. 10 players from Sneil/Glen started the game. And not 1 player from North Derry started or came off the bench. Yes,South Derry is the heartland.

oakleaflad

Quote from: braveheart on February 26, 2019, 10:32:52 AM
We are a division 4 team playing poor quality opposition.The crowd attendances doesn't surprise me. If there were 1500 supporters at Glen then there'll be less than 500 at Celtic park. 2 interesting things of note from the weekend game. 10 players from Sneil/Glen started the game. And not 1 player from North Derry started or came off the bench. Yes,South Derry is the heartland.
You definitely have some sort of a superiority complex. I don't think anyone in North Derry would argue that South Derry clubs are stronger and have more county level players. As you say though, we are a Division 4 team, we need everyone from any corner of the county in future if we are to improve.