12 Apostles 25 years on and Current Dubs

Started by highorlow, March 25, 2008, 10:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

History repeating itself here.

Is this new breed of Dub trying to emulate the team of 25 years ago?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Gnevin

Quote from: highorlow on March 25, 2008, 10:45:22 AM
History repeating itself here.

Is this new breed of Dub trying to emulate the team of 25 years ago?
Could do worse than trying to emulate an All-Ireland winning team . How is history repeating itself?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hound

Imagine two lads getting two yellow cards each in the one game. Never heard the like.

As an aside, did anyone see what Cullen did for his first yellow. He received the card when the ref blew for the foul by Vaughan that resulted in his sending off. He called Cullen over and booked him, and Cullen didnt seem to know what it was for. Then the linesman called the ref and told him Vaughan should be carded. So was Cullen's first yellow a case of mistake identity or did he do something prior to the Vaughan foul?

bennydorano

Seems fairly evident that Caffrey is trying to get them to believe everyone is against them, fostering a siege mentality, and with good reason - he's proven himself to be fairly tactically inpet. The fire and brimstone apprach will get them so far (as in the last 3 years) but they'll probably come undone again somewhere along the line.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

orangeman

Quote from: bennydorano on March 25, 2008, 01:19:35 PM
Seems fairly evident that Caffrey is trying to get them to believe everyone is against them, fostering a siege mentality, and with good reason - he's proven himself to be fairly tactically inpet. The fire and brimstone apprach will get them so far (as in the last 3 years) but they'll probably come undone again somewhere along the line.

That's exactly what's happening - but in order for this to be effective, you need a receptive audience and Pillar certainly has that.

Main Street

Quote from: Hound on March 25, 2008, 11:58:11 AM
Imagine two lads getting two yellow cards each in the one game. Never heard the like.
As an aside, did anyone see what Cullen did for his first yellow. He received the card when the ref blew for the foul by Vaughan that resulted in his sending off. He called Cullen over and booked him, and Cullen didnt seem to know what it was for. Then the linesman called the ref and told him Vaughan should be carded. So was Cullen's first yellow a case of mistake identity or did he do something prior to the Vaughan foul?
In the build up play as Finlay hit the sublime pass to D Freeman, a Dublin player obstructed a Monaghan player in full flight. The Monaghan player was flattened.
So when play stopped after Vaughan's  "tackle", the ref took Cullen aside, I assume that Cullen was the culprit, Cullen was pointing to his bloody eye probably saying it was accidental.
It was questionable, but when I saw it again there was clear intent.

The soft yellow was for Keaney after about 1/2 hour, he was just late with a clean shoulder charge but quickly followed by running over to tackle the next man Lennon with a flying fist to his body.
Over excited but not dirthy, but I donĀ“t know if he was ticked before.

thebandit

On the Cullen incident, he intended to block him alright, but there was no real dirt in it, and it was more a case of a clash between two good hard players

Main Street

Agreed, no intent to do damage, more a putting his body in the way and he hurt himself in the process.

I looked at the game a second time and I have no problem with that ref. Ronaghan blatantly deserved to be carded, apart from that he got most spot on. The only questions were a few times, should he have blown or play advantage.
The Cullen incident was a good one where he played advantage.
In fact I would challenge anyone who thought he was rubbish to look at the game and pick out his mistakes.

INDIANA

i'll send you my version with pointed references to his mistakes. He had no consistency main street. If he had of been consistent most would have said fair enough but it got to the stage where no-one knew what constituted his interpretation of the tackle- and i have watched it a second time. What was a free one minute was let go the next. The players didn;t help him but he lost control of that game after 15 mins. Had he booked a few early on who deserved it - it might have been a different story

Aaron Boone

What's John Gough doing with himself these days? In a way he created the 12 apostles.

thejuice

thought they were called the Dirty Dozen, well thats what me Dad a Galway calls them
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

dodo

They were always referred to as the 12 apostles down my way..........the question always was who was Judas !