O'Byrne Cup 2017

Started by thejuice, January 08, 2016, 12:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

I just hope the Louth FF line doesn't 'go after' Big Joe.
Do they still have that Hulk Hogan lookalike playing for them?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

'Banty' unapologetic over physical approach

Seamus 'Banty' McEnaney has defended the physical tactics adopted by his Wexford team in their O'Byrne Cup defeat to Dublin.

John Turbit (Wexford) and Gary Sweeney (Dublin) were both sent off for separate incidents late in the first half, while at least two other Wexford players were fortunate not to see red.

"It's a physical game we're playing and if there's one thing that disappoints me about the GAA over the last number of years, it's that we're losing the physicality," the Monaghan man is quoted in the Irish Daily Star.

"It's one part of the game I don't intend losing for whoever I'm managing."

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=265076&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Main Street

That's just an affectionate eskimo kiss.

thejuice

looking forward to an early rattle at Louth and if we get over them a shot at Kildare or Dublin is a juicey reward. I have a feeling Kildare could do it. Dublin are well below strength and Kildare usually peak in January.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

skeog

Banty should have been in the circus he is some clown with a massive ego.

Jinxy

The thoughts of playing the flourbots in the final in Navan should give the lads plenty of motivation to put Louth to the sword.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on January 17, 2017, 10:57:08 AM
The thoughts of playing the flourbots in the final in Navan should give the lads plenty of motivation to put Louth to the sword.

Would they double it up with the league game?
#newbridgeornowhere

Unlaoised

Laois v Meath was as good a game as you're likely to see in the O'Byrne cup this year or any other year.

It had a bit of everything

A tenner well spent.

I fancy Meath to go on and win it again!
LAOIS ABÚ

Jinxy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 17, 2017, 10:58:49 AM

The Ardboyne Hotel is doing a special rate for the week if you don't fancy making the long trip home after losing on the 29th.
Plenty to see & do in Navan.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on January 17, 2017, 11:33:29 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 17, 2017, 10:58:49 AM

The Ardboyne Hotel is doing a special rate for the week if you don't fancy making the long trip home after losing on the 29th.
Plenty to see & do in Navan.

Dinny doesn't do Navan!!
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Does Navan do Dinny though?

thejuice

Meath (O'Byrne Cup semi-final v Louth) -

Jack Hannigan

David McQuillan, Donal Keogan, Sean Curran;
Seamus Lavin, Brian Power, Alan Forde;

Bryan Menton, Cian O'Brien;

Ruairí Ó Coileáin, Graham Reilly, Eamon Wallace;
Kevin Ross, Paddy Kennelly, Sean Tobin.

Subs -
Joe Sheridan
Conor Downey
Cillian O'Sullivan
Bryan McMahon
Shane McEntee
Adam Flanagan
Conor McGill
Mickey Burke
Michael Newman

Some definite starters left on the bench. Good to see Newmans name there. Not sure that forward line are going to that effective unless Louth are poor. Good to see Ross having another chance. Can see Andy emptying the bench if things aren't going well early on.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

Who knows? This might be the first outing of the O'Rourke, Stafford, Flynn of the ... f**k me, we're nearly 20% of the way through the 21st century and on course for our longest ever gap between All-Irelands.

thejuice

God only knows what way it will go. There's always a bit of fresh optimism when a new manager takes the reigns but I still don't see the level of talent or guts thats are needed to win major trophies. But it might be there.

Looking back at videos of 1999 it seems like a different era alright, to think that's how my parents remember the 70's when I was a young lad. No drainpipe trousers though but we did have some class footballers

Jinxy

While it would be nice to think about winning major trophies, you have to crawl before you walk I suppose.
We need to become a competitive, well-organised, properly conditioned outfit, so that when the rare talents come along, they can make the difference.
I think we have some lads that are playing well below their potential and I'd have a lot of faith that Andy will get more out of them.
Outside of the top 3 teams, we should be able to give any other county a proper game.